JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From Wilson's lab in Tampa,

His results hasn't been published yet but here is the protocol he is using

complete a regularly prescribed set to muscle failure. Once you're done with that set, allow the weight you're lifting to put the muscle on stretch. You don't need to actively stretch the target muscle group; just allow the weight to sit on the activated muscle.

Once you've let the muscle stretch under load for 30 seconds, strip a considerable amount of weight and perform another set to failure. After you hit failure, stretch again for 30 seconds.

You'll do this technique with various exercises and muscle groups, so you may have to experiment until you find the stretch—appropriate position on the exercises
Interesting stuff IMO

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get enormous pumps from doing this. It is extremely painful as well

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Is this similar to fascia stretching?
I have "superset" with fascia stretches and it was pretty awesome.

I am not entirely sure what this is describing though, for instance on squats would you just sit in the hole?

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm very interested in seeing the results.

I don't always use that exact protocol, but do implement loaded stretches in a similar fashion.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im assuming it will be similar to DC stretches.. maybe?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do something similar with pulldowns, and it always feels great after as my left lat/shoulder tie in always gets very tight.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This type of training is the foundation of Ben Pakulski's MI40X. I have been through the protocol a few times and can vouch for the efficacy of the intraset stretches as far as hypertrophy is concerned. The technique does start to lose its efficacy eventually, so a deload and switch up of programs is recommended after completing it.

Hack squats and one arm rows are the most painful, imo.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
This type of training is the foundation of Ben Pakulski's MI40X. I have been through the protocol a few times and can vouch for the efficacy of the intraset stretches as far as hypertrophy is concerned. The technique does start to lose its efficacy eventually, so a deload and switch up of programs is recommended after completing it.

Hack squats and one arm rows are the most painful, imo.
Doesn't he make you do it four times in a row? for example: a strech set between every set in the nos set? I've got the program, I just havn't got around to doing it yet. I'm doing hypertrophy max ATM. His advice for abs in MI40x is spot on.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I get enormous pumps from doing this. It is extremely painful as well
I was doing 100reps with the BB at my gym the other day on bicep curls, the idea being that you do 100 reps in one go, if you get painful pumps, you let the weight hang but you CANT let go...

Noticed crazy pumps in my forarms and biceps like you mentioned.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I was doing 100reps with the BB at my gym the other day on bicep curls, the idea being that you do 100 reps in one go, if you get painful pumps, you let the weight hang but you CANT let go...

Noticed crazy pumps in my forarms and biceps like you mentioned.
Moving off the topic of stretching a bit, but I have been playing with 100 reps sets on flys, curls, straight arm pulldowns, and shoulder exercises recently and the pump is always crazy. I definitely, enjoy it? hah

Back to stretching, I will have to try it with super high reps like that soon. I have theorized that "supersetting" an exercise or rep scheme that gives a huge pump with a DC style-fascia stretch should help you gain because it allows you to then pump even more blood into the muscle on the next set.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Im tempted to give this a go with DB fly's... I guess you do your set of say 15-20, then rest in the lowest position of the fly for the stretch. That seems to be the portion of the movement with the most amount of stress on the muscle.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Im tempted to give this a go with DB fly's... I guess you do your set of say 15-20, then rest in the lowest position of the fly for the stretch. That seems to be the portion of the movement with the most amount of stress on the muscle.
Did you mean what I said? For that I meant something like use pretty light weight so that you can do a straight set of 100 with minimal rests(10 seconds at the most), but still rep 100 should be hard. Then grab some semi-heavy DB's that you would usually do flys with and hold the stretch for 60-90 seconds. Rest around 60 seconds and then go back to the original weight and go for around 50-75 reps. Then back to the heavy stretch, etc. Maybe like 3 sets or so. I will give it a try myself later on tonight.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Did you mean what I said? For that I meant something like use pretty light weight so that you can do a straight set of 100 with minimal rests(10 seconds at the most), but still rep 100 should be hard. Then grab some semi-heavy DB's that you would usually do flys with and hold the stretch for 60-90 seconds. Rest around 60 seconds and then go back to the original weight and go for around 50-75 reps. Then back to the heavy stretch, etc. Maybe like 3 sets or so. I will give it a try myself later on tonight.
Yeah basically that lol.. You just went into more depth :)
I got legs tomorrow so might try it out with squats...

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Yeah basically that lol.. You just went into more depth :)
I got legs tomorrow so might try it out with squats...
On squats?! F***! haha
I have a glute injury and anything over 3 reps irritates it at the moment, but I have been meaning to try the 100 reps with leg extensions.
If you try it on something tell me what you think!
How do you plan to do the stretch?
This is the DC quad stretch-
http://theswole.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/quad-stretch1.gif

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
On squats?! F***! haha
I have a glute injury and anything over 3 reps irritates it at the moment, but I have been meaning to try the 100 reps with leg extensions.
If you try it on something tell me what you think!
How do you plan to do the stretch?
This is the DC quad stretch-
http://theswole.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/quad-stretch1.gif
Might as well go hard if im trying something new out, I feel if there is one day you should really go and KILL IT, it should be legs :)

I was thinking of doing something like 50reps on 135, quickly add 25lb each side and then just sit in the hole for 60secs (if I can manage it haha) that way the glutes, hams and quads should be getting stretched.

banjobounce

banjobounce

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, yes and no. Normally a NOS set has 3-4 drops, and NOSX adds in intraset stretching (very important to end entire set on a strong contraction). However, some exercises, such as incline curls or incline flies (if they come toward the end of a workout) literally require me to use 15-20 lbs at the most (assuming proper execution with intention). This makes it nearly impossible to get 4 drops in with t he equipment that my gym has.

But yes, the concept you have described is pretty much the gist of it.

I also envy you for being enrolled in HMAX, btw.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Might as well go hard if im trying something new out, I feel if there is one day you should really go and KILL IT, it should be legs :)

I was thinking of doing something like 50reps on 135, quickly add 25lb each side and then just sit in the hole for 60secs (if I can manage it haha) that way the glutes, hams and quads should be getting stretched.
Just be careful doing the stretch that way because your back and core are going to be fatigued, so you have to be very aware of spine positioning and make sure you do not go into a butt wink or w/e while down there.
Might be a safer idea with like hack squat or something, but whatever you do good luck! Tell me how it goes.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Just be careful doing the stretch that way because your back and core are going to be fatigued, so you have to be very aware of spine positioning and make sure you do not go into a butt wink or w/e while down there.
Might be a safer idea with like hack squat or something, but whatever you do good luck! Tell me how it goes.
I did wonder this as its not going to be east to prevent back rounding with fatigued core.... Hmmm maybe Leg press or lying ham curls. Ill see how brave I feel :)

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
Wouldn't that also put the most amount of stress on the shoulder joints? Mine hurt just thinking about it tbh haha.

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Anyone have specific stretches for specific exercises? What stretch would you do after high rep leg extensions for example? Does it matter as long as you're stretching the working muscle? I've seen some of the DC stuff, but curious if anyone else has anything?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mainly follow the DC path, but really have noticed the benefit with static stretching with calves and forearms. Not only does it aid in long term growth, but leaves them absolutely blasted for a solid day or two post workout and very vascular, which is very cool.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here are some example stretches Wilson provided

Biceps: Between sets of standing or incline seated dumbbell curls, let the weight pull you into controlled hyperextension at the shoulder, maximizing stretch and tension on the biceps.

Chest: Between sets of chest flyes, allow the weight to stretch your chest while maintaining a slight bend in the elbows.

Traps: Following a set a shrugs, allow the weight to keep you in a depressed position without letting the weight rest against your sides.

Hamstrings: Between sets of Romanian deadlifts, emphasize the bottom position. Extend your hips back as far as you can with your weight on your heels for maximum tension on the hamstrings. Keep the weight as close to your body as possible.

Quads: Between any quad exercise, perform the classic quad stretch. Sit on the backs of your heels and place your hands behind you. Depending on your level of flexibility, you can walk your hands back for increased stretch.

Back: After completing a set of pull-ups, fully extend your arms and hang. Keep your feet off the ground for maximal tension.

Triceps: Between sets of triceps rope extensions, let the rope pull you back into a stretched position.

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
A good one for triceps is DB skullcrushers. Just let the dbs hang at the bottom position! Ive done this for some time now with my tris. Ive been holding the stretch for like 5-10 secs for about 12-15 reps! Major, major pump. Also not much weight is needed at all

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
Here are some example stretches Wilson provided Biceps: Between sets of standing or incline seated dumbbell curls, let the weight pull you into controlled hyperextension at the shoulder, maximizing stretch and tension on the biceps. Chest: Between sets of chest flyes, allow the weight to stretch your chest while maintaining a slight bend in the elbows. Traps: Following a set a shrugs, allow the weight to keep you in a depressed position without letting the weight rest against your sides. Hamstrings: Between sets of Romanian deadlifts, emphasize the bottom position. Extend your hips back as far as you can with your weight on your heels for maximum tension on the hamstrings. Keep the weight as close to your body as possible. Quads: Between any quad exercise, perform the classic quad stretch. Sit on the backs of your heels and place your hands behind you. Depending on your level of flexibility, you can walk your hands back for increased stretch. Back: After completing a set of pull-ups, fully extend your arms and hang. Keep your feet off the ground for maximal tension. Triceps: Between sets of triceps rope extensions, let the rope pull you back into a stretched position.

Awesome thank you.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I did wonder this as its not going to be east to prevent back rounding with fatigued core.... Hmmm maybe Leg press or lying ham curls. Ill see how brave I feel :)
Did you try it out yet?
I tried it on flys and only ended up doing 2 sets, but it definitely made it more difficult and it killed my chest.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Did you try it out yet? I tried it on flys and only ended up doing 2 sets, but it definitely made it more difficult and it killed my chest.
Yes I did pal, actually trained back and arms today so I took advantage for bi stretching.

Did 25x 50 standing curls, then grabbed the 50's and led on an incline bench and let them hang for 60sexs.... Wow! The burn was just ridiculous, they feel sore now (12 hours later).

Really enjoyed the stretch.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Here are some example stretches Wilson provided

Biceps: Between sets of standing or incline seated dumbbell curls, let the weight pull you into controlled hyperextension at the shoulder, maximizing stretch and tension on the biceps.

Chest: Between sets of chest flyes, allow the weight to stretch your chest while maintaining a slight bend in the elbows.

Traps: Following a set a shrugs, allow the weight to keep you in a depressed position without letting the weight rest against your sides.

Hamstrings: Between sets of Romanian deadlifts, emphasize the bottom position. Extend your hips back as far as you can with your weight on your heels for maximum tension on the hamstrings. Keep the weight as close to your body as possible.

Quads: Between any quad exercise, perform the classic quad stretch. Sit on the backs of your heels and place your hands behind you. Depending on your level of flexibility, you can walk your hands back for increased stretch.

Back: After completing a set of pull-ups, fully extend your arms and hang. Keep your feet off the ground for maximal tension.

Triceps: Between sets of triceps rope extensions, let the rope pull you back into a stretched position.
I do this technique for calves and traps regularly. I have actually learned the traps technique from an og bodybuilder who has picked it up through the years, i saw the calves bicep chest and tricep techniques via ben pakaulski on youtube. Then jacob wilson and lawrence ballonger did a bb special with it. Great stuff. Has done serious work on my calves

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think bpak helped or at least influenced Wilson for this paper if I'm not mistaken

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
They should both give credit to Dante Trudel.