Alternative to dips

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
So in my upper body workout I have a triset where I do ez bar curls then dips then DB hammer curls back to back. During dips I realize I've been shrugging my shoulders up to go really deep and have been putting immense strain on my collar bone. As much as I would love to be stupid like I have in the past and just fix my form and hope the pain subsides I've decided to be smart and lay off dips. Can someone give me the best alternative to dips?

amarula

Awards
Maybe a close grip bench or a california press since you probably want a multi joint exercise

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely CGBP.

What's so stupid about fixing your form? Do you have an assisted dip machine?

whitelie

Awards
Fix your form
How wide is your grip?

If it's painful, try assisted as suggested or bench dips. Or skull crushers, either with the same ez bar you're curling with or the db's.

Why a tri set of two sets for bi's and one for tri's? Do a quad set and do ez curls, ez skulls, hammer curls, db skulls.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could just fix an obvious weakness in your kinetic chain, which is your upper back. It's almost guaranteed to be holding back your squat, deadlift, and bench press as well.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I had bad form as well coming off of my shoulder surgery a few years back, I was compensating resulting in poor form. In the meantime I did CGBP and would use the assisted dip machine to work on my form. Did wonders and I'm back to rocking dips

amarula

Awards
You could just fix an obvious weakness in your kinetic chain, which is your upper back. It's almost guaranteed to be holding back your squat, deadlift, and bench press as well.
What would you recommend to fix that. Pull-up's?

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all of the advice. Until the pain is gone I will do the decline close grip bench press. I have had a tendency in the past to work through pain and now realize how big of a mistake that is. People seem to think the pain will just magically disappear and it doesn't (surprise surprise). I really wanted to do dips but the close grip bench press is number 2 on Charles Poliquins best triceps exercises and on the decline bench it seems to be a good alternative to the dip since it hits the lower pecs as well..although no exercise actually simulates the EXACT same movement of the dip unfortunately. It is what it is lol