Help with sumo pull?

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys/girls..

Today was my first time trying sumo as i want to be stong in both stances...

Obviously my normal is conventional and my best pull is 530lb, set a new PR of 510 @189 recently too.

Id like my sumo to in the region of 450-500 as well, hopefully this carries over to conventional strength too and should boost it a little.

Anyway enough chatter.

Here is a video of me pulling 315 sumo, bear in mind 315 is a warmup for me normally and i practise speed pulls with it in conventional.

It looks to me as if im leaning too far forward when pulling, whats causing this? Is it just too heavy for a fist time?

Instagram

Here's another video of me pulling 315 conventional, bear in mind this isnt my normal pulling speed. Its normally a little faster.

Instagram

Any advice? Thanks

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your sumo looks more like just a "wide stance" deadlift. Get your toes angled out slightly more, and force your knees outwards, bringing your hips as close to the bar as you can. This will get your torso and shins more upright, and initiate the pull with your hips by spreading the floor.

As for both *******s, your unlocking your knees on each one. Squeeze your butt.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Your sumo looks more like just a "wide stance" deadlift. Get your toes angled out slightly more, and force your knees outwards, bringing your hips as close to the bar as you can. This will get your torso and shins more upright, and initiate the pull with your hips by spreading the floor. As for both *******s, your unlocking your knees on each one. Squeeze your butt.
Thanks for the advice, to be fair as it's the first time pulling sumo I just guessed the stance. That's probably the issue in the first place.

Is that blanked out word 'deadlifts'? Unlocking knees? Sorry I'm not sure what that means.

Appreciate the help man

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the advice, to be fair as it's the first time pulling sumo I just guessed the stance. That's probably the issue in the first place. Is that blanked out word 'deadlifts'? Unlocking knees? Sorry I'm not sure what that means. Appreciate the help man
Everyone has a first time. You asked for advice and that's my advice lol

I mean lock outs*

I'm not sure how to rephrase your knees being unlocked.

Keep up the work tho, man

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has a first time. You asked for advice and that's my advice lol

I mean lock outs*

I'm not sure how to rephrase your knees being unlocked.

Keep up the work tho, man
Ah okay no worries, yeah I'll just keep at it, might drop the weight to 225 just to get the 'feel'. I'll try and figure out 'unlocking your knees' it's probably me being stupid and tomorrow I'll know what you mean. Appreciate it.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ah okay no worries, yeah I'll just keep at it, might drop the weight to 225 just to get the 'feel'. I'll try and figure out 'unlocking your knees' it's probably me being stupid and tomorrow I'll know what you mean. Appreciate it.
Look at your knees at the lock out of your dead lifts (conventional).

They are not locked and because of that it would get red lighted at a meet. You're hyper extending at the top which is why they unlock.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Look at your knees at the lock out of your dead lifts (conventional). They are not locked and because of that it would get red lighted at a meet. You're hyper extending at the top which is why they unlock.
Ahhh I get it now, I always thought I lent back a little. That will explain it! Thanks for that bro.