Hitting walls on bench

H

hmatthews50

Awards
Can get 315 for a single easy and fast but as soon as I go any higher I hit a wall? Any ideas other than boards and band work.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Floor presses are good. I'm sure you do close grip bench but if you dont i really notice when i do close grip my regular bench goes up because it stregnthens your triceps and is good for the lock out.

D

danielcho

Awards
Can get 315 for a single easy and fast but as soon as I go any higher I hit a wall? Any ideas other than boards and band work.
I'm nowhere near your strength level but I've heard a lot of powerlifters busting through their plateaus by using close grip bench pressing as their main movement for some time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Technique is always the number one place to start for adjustments. Post up a video and you'll be able to get more accurate suggestions.

B

badwolf42

Awards
Could be a mental block. Close grip incline and shoulder work really help me.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Could be a mental block. Close grip incline and shoulder work really help me.
I was gonna say the same. Try a blind bench. Have a buddy load the bar as you lay there with your eyes closed. Have him put light weight, medium weight, weight you literally could not do, and then a goal weight. That worked for me when I had a mental block with getting past 225. I could do 2 plates 3-4 times but couldn't do 230 1 time. So example:

Do 135 8 times
185 4 times
315 you'll drop it and won't be able to get it up without his help
240 push that ish up!!!!!

It's a different answer, I know.

The monk60

The monk60

Awards
Oh I thought you were literally hitting walls

I was gonna say move the bench...

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Technique is always the number one place to start for adjustments. Post up a video and you'll be able to get more accurate suggestions.
what he said

S

SoupNaziNazi

Awards
Incline BB
DB
Floor press
CGBP
OHP
Pause reps on anything bench related

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
All the suggestions mean squat if we don't know what your program is like

What does you whole program look like currently?

What sort of programming has worked well for you to get to 315?