Deadlifting with straps.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
I always thought a mixed grip wasn't necessary when using straps, but I saw a video of Ronnie Coleman deadlifting 800lbs with straps and a mixed grip.

I know that's an absurd amount of weight, so maybe that's why he did this.

Maybe this is a minor point that means nothing, idk. Perhaps either grip is fine straps or not.

Any thoughts appreciated.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use a mixed grip with straps, not really because it is necessary, just that I always use a mixed grip. It's more of a habit. I go back and forth between using straps and not using straps...

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I were going to use straps, I would use double overhand just to lessen the risk of a torn bicep on the under hand, but it's not a huge deal either way.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I were going to use straps, I would use double overhand just to lessen the risk of a torn bicep on the under hand, but it's not a huge deal either way.
That's how I did it when I used straps.

tballz

tballz

Awards
When using straps I do double overhand also.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't use straps because my hands are too small already, and it makes gripping even harder. I was only doing overhand until someone told me to mix it as I go heavier.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I only use straps now for double underhand grip on rows above 225. Only because it rolls out of my hand past that.

Used to use them all the time but just started with chalk and not thinking about grip when pulling

Guido14

Guido14

Awards
I use straps and use double overhand grip. My left arm cannot rotate to a underhand so I just always do over

Jjbballs

Jjbballs

Awards
I use double handed grip with straps for all my lifts like clean, deadlift and shrugs. My grip sucks I can shrug 600 with straps and like 225 without them

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I use double handed grip with straps for all my lifts like clean, deadlift and shrugs. My grip sucks I can shrug 600 with straps and like 225 without them
This was the same for me until I just started using chalk and forgetting about grip...just put my music on and went for it, not double overhand though.

Double Underhand rows have built my grip the most for sure.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This was the same for me until I just started using chalk and forgetting about grip...just put my music on and went for it, not double overhand though. Double Underhand rows have built my grip the most for sure.
This was me as well. For the longest I'd say I wore straps because my grip sucks. I ditched the straps and my grip improved. Lol

Even on singles DL PRs I hold the weight at the top as long as possible to improve my grip.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Current elbow problems (Tennis/Golfers, 1 Each) force me to use straps for most lifts. Double overs for DL at the moment.

Miss Q

Miss Q

Awards
I use straps for everything in the gym. If I forget mine, I have to borrow a pair from the lost and found.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to use straps for my max effort deads, but I started working on the hook grip about 4 weeks ago and now i only use straps on AMRAP sets. The hook grip is really uncomfortable at first, but once your thumbs get used to it its no big deal.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use double overhaNd,Anything 315 and up i use straps.

David147

Awards
Every few months/weeks you'll plateau out.

When that happens it's time to change things up. Keep the adaptation process in high gear. Change routine/reps/sets/weight...Drop sets, static holds, staggered sets, etc.

If you really want steroid like gains then focus on your diet.

When you plateau out do a mini diet. When you start binge eating again hormones will go through the roof. All your lifts will go up.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
We have straps at my gym but the PT said grip strength is important so no straps, just some liquid chalk and mixed grip when it gets 'heavy'. actually I noticed my grip strength increase lots just practising holding onto heavy weights.

callouses are a bitch though. I try to rub them with a manicure board lol.