Best/most effective HIIT?

ReinalHot61

Awards
What do you guys usually do and how often do you do it?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've had really good luck with sprints. In the winter I have to do them on a treadmill but usually go between twenty abd thirty seconds at a near sprint. Then walk a minute, rinse and repeat

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another vote for sprints. However, when the weather is inclement, I go for burpees or Kettlebell swings/clean and jerks.

ReinalHot61

Awards
What do you think of this?
fitocracy.com/knowledge/dr-layne-nortons-best-damn-cardio-humanly-possible-in-15-minutes/

ReinalHot61

Awards
The only thing I do not know are:
1. How many sprints?
2. How often do to it per week?
3. The right time? I read studies that it's better to do HIIT after your strength training.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Tnation has a ton of articles on HIIT. Take your pick

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Tnation has a ton of articles on HIIT. Take your pick
Which would you suggest are the most effective? obviously you would know what you are talking about. looking shredded bro!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My typical HIIT is:

6-8 50yd sprints
4-6 50yd sled sprints,
Top gear sprints on my bike for 20 sec

I'll rest about 30 sec between and usual pick one or maybe two to do at the end of a work out 3 days a week.

ReinalHot61

Awards
My typical HIIT is:

6-8 50yd sprints
4-6 50yd sled sprints,
Top gear sprints on my bike for 20 sec

I'll rest about 30 sec between and usual pick one or maybe two to do at the end of a work out 3 days a week.
Thanks for contributing brah. I gotta Youtube that sled sprints as I'm not familiar with that.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sure thing. A sled or prowler works well. Sometimes I'll pull, sometimes I'll push.

Oh, gonna add in rows as well since we just got in 6 new rowers at the gym.

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sure thing. A sled or prowler works well. Sometimes I'll pull, sometimes I'll push. Oh, gonna add in rows as well since we just got in 6 new rowers at the gym.
rowing is a great workout

ReinalHot61

Awards
I just did 6 all-out sprints on a basketball length field. And then 6 all-out sprints on a semi-hilly field. Was out of breath and heart was racing.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally like it on the elliptical. I warm up for 5 minutes, then do 15 seconds all out followed by 45 seconds at a pace I can keep through each set, and repeat 10 times. I will then follow that up with 5 minutes going at a moderate pace.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Prowler pushes/drags. Nothing is more effective in terms of efficiency, increasing work capacity, and absolutely frying your lungs.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Which would you suggest are the most effective? obviously you would know what you are talking about. looking shredded bro!
thanks brother but honestly I don't really do cardio... I feel that my trainings' intensity and volume is relatively high and I feel that calorie manipulation is a bigger factor for staying lean.

But when I do decide to do "cardio" I agree with Rodja, a few (5-10) all out sprints with the prowler and you feel like you're going to die... In a good way of course ;)

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
thanks brother but honestly I don't really do cardio... I feel that my trainings' intensity and volume is relatively high and I feel that calorie manipulation is a bigger factor for staying lean. But when I do decide to do "cardio" I agree with Rodja, a few (5-10) all out sprints with the prowler and you feel like you're going to die... In a good way of course ;)
that's some training u got there that gives u the shredded results. beast mode!

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just discovered the Prowler at my gym today. Was tucked away by the back door. Never seen anyone else using it. Took it out back, threw 2-45lb. plates on it and did 8-40 yard pushes with it. I'm in love. 5 minutes and my heart and lungs were on fire. This will be my new best friend.

Attachments

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah man, then find some straps and pull it. You'll love as you get better endurance. I am up to sprints with 5 plates now.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Depends what you want to improve. There is no "one best" HIIT program, but there are ones better suited for your goals. Personally I prefer 20-30s sprints with 10-15s rest, rinse and repeat until I drop

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
10 x 30sec battle rope session at the end of my workout this morning. I forgot what a killer those are.