Neck strain doing ohp.. Pffff

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
So about 3 weeks ago I was working out with my wife and I was pressing through a flat bench rep and had a twinge in lower neck high shoulder blade area so I immediately quit to not strain it anymore. Took it easy for week or so and it felt better.. Then today I was overhead pressing on smith machine and baaaam.. Here we go again. I guess one question is do you guys keep your head absolutely still when ohp or allow for some movement? I know my head was coming up on descent and and down on press.. I think I'm done with fricken Smith machine for a while and just do db work for a while?? I seem to tweak stuff more using that thing than it's worth? any thoughts..

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, I'm glad you understand what a POS the Smith machine is, so that is a plus. With OHP, it is important to look ahead because it you put your head back or look up, you naturally start to arch and it strains your neck. I just find a fixed point and stare at it while lifting.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm glad you understand what a POS the Smith machine is, so that is a plus. With OHP, it is important to look ahead because it you put your head back or look up, you naturally start to arch and it strains your neck. I just find a fixed point and stare at it while lifting.
I know it's easy for me to let the head come up while bringing weight down( makes me think my rom is enough lol) but good point, I think my form as I go heavier just suffers and the look up and arch starts to happen. Fixed point it is from here on out. Off to chiro now?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No doubt partially brought on by the false sense of security the Smith brings you thinking you can lift more than you can. Don't be discouraged if this number is substantially lower when you move to a rack and use the BB.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
No doubt partially brought on by the false sense of security the Smith brings you thinking you can lift more than you can. Don't be discouraged if this number is substantially lower when you move to a rack and use the BB.
ego checked at the door.. I

P

PILL

Awards
Your head wont really move, but it should almost feel like you are pulling your head through the window created by your arms and the barbell. Again, the head doesn't actually move it just feels that way when your arms come up and the bar rotates back to over your head.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
Your head wont really move, but it should almost feel like you are pulling your head through the window created by your arms and the barbell. Again, the head doesn't actually move it just feels that way when your arms come up and the bar rotates back to over your head.
The feeling of movement forward per say? Not chin or back of head going up or down?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Seated DB presses are not a substitute for OHP, so it is fine to add it in, but you need to OHP to reap the benefits of OHP.

D

danielcho

Awards
Seated DB presses are not a substitute for OHP, so it is fine to add it in, but you need to OHP to reap the benefits of OHP.
What benefits of OHP will you see that you can't with DB presses?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The press isn't the area to be concerned with- it is the seated portion vs standing. They've actually studied this and there is significant difference in muscle activation in standing vs seated to the degree of >20%.

D

danielcho

Awards
The press isn't the area to be concerned with- it is the seated portion vs standing. They've actually studied this and there is significant difference in muscle activation in standing vs seated to the degree of >20%.
That's really interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study?

I personally like seated because OH strains my lower back occasionally. I don't really have a choice.

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
That's really interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study? I personally like seated because OH strains my lower back occasionally. I don't really have a choice.
I am in that boat as far as lower back goes for sure. I know standing activated a lot more muscle fibers though. I think sitting is good for more direct work of shoulders and can go a bit heavier maybe?

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's really interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study?

I personally like seated because OH strains my lower back occasionally. I don't really have a choice.
There are several that test overall anabolic response and core and posterior activation, but I do not have access right now. I do have the one I was referring to available, though.

http://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/Abstract/2013/07000/Effects_of_Body_Position_and_Loading_Modality_on.10.aspx

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's really interesting. Do you happen to have a link to that study? I personally like seated because OH strains my lower back occasionally. I don't really have a choice.
Drive your heels down and flex your glutes throughout the movement. I personally use a staggered stance on OHP.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Drive your heels down and flex your glutes throughout the movement. I personally use a staggered stance on OHP.
Great, great tid bit of advice. I too prefer a staggered stance for increased balance and control.

M

michael01

Awards
So about 3 weeks ago I was working out with my wife and I was pressing through a flat bench rep and had a twinge in lower neck high shoulder blade area so I immediately quit to not strain it anymore. Took it easy for week or so and it felt better.. Then today I was overhead pressing on smith machine and baaaam.. Here we go again. I guess one question is do you guys keep your head absolutely still when ohp or allow for some movement? I know my head was coming up on descent and and down on press.. I think I'm done with fricken Smith machine for a while and just do db work for a while?? I seem to tweak stuff more using that thing than it's worth? any thoughts..
Neck strain is very common and can be caused by a number of things. Some of these may surprise you, because a lot of the time, it’s something you may do every day that is straining your neck. These are some of the more common causes like Bad posture, sleep positions, heavy weight, trauma etc. The good thing about neck strain is that there are many treatments that you can do at home. If you are at all concerned about what these treatments may do for you, or which one works for your particular strain, go see a doctor. In addition to the treatment methods we previously mentioned, there are also a number of stretches that you can do, in order to help free your stiff and strained neck. These stretches can help you when you have neck strain, but also help prevent it. If you have pain that extends from your neck into your arms, do these exercises which includes Active Neck Rotation, Isometric Neck Flexion, Neck Extension etc. I think you should try these exercise while you get neck strain.

Read more about Neck strain Exercises at doctorshealthpress