Twice a Week Only Workouts

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
After reading some of Dan John's articles on working out only twice a week, I believe I've fixed my program since the last time I've posted it.

Day 1:
Deadlift 4x2 or 3x3
Standing OHP 3x5
Upright Row 3x8
Pull Up 3x failure
Shrugs 3x8
Overhead Extensions 3x8
Hanging Leg Lifts 3x8

Day 2:
Flat Bench 5x5
Pendlay Row 5x5
Hang Clean 5x3
Squat 1x20
Face Pulls 3x10
Barbell Curl 3x8

Typically I workout Monday and Friday. Life just doesn't allow for any more workouts in this season of life. But I'm wondering if I'd get more out of dropping bench press sets and reps to 3x5 and adding in weighted dips to that day or the other. I've also tried dropping upright rows and shrugs for high pulls and I just didn't really enjoy that. I probably would if I could workout with bumpers, but not in LA Fitness.
Anyone have any suggestions or comments?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Personally I'd lower throw out the hangcleans and just front squat and do another set of back squat. But some ppl like cleans.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
that does not look like something dan john would do. if you like to read his articles, go back and read some more. try the ones that have 2 day a week workouts and do those.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
ooh, i see what you did. you read an article, made up something and changed the reps and called it the same. well, it is not quite. Dan John is better educated and better experienced than both of us combined. so if you are going to do his workouts, do them, and don't change them.

if you want to change it:

Day 1:
Deadlift 5x2
Standing OHP 3x10
Pull Up 3x failure
glute/ham raise 3xamrap or stiff legged DB deads 3x10
Overhead Extensions 3xamrap
Hanging Leg Lifts 3xamrap

Day 2:
Hang Clean 5-10x2-3
Squat 1x20
Flat Bench 5x5
Pendlay Row 5x5
Barbell Curl 3x8
hypers 3xamrap

the above would follow John's layout better, with better rep and set ranges, and leave out some silly not needed exercises. the only good one that i took out was facepulls and they can be done anytime. think of it as prehab, not as part of a workout.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
While you may have a good idea in the latter part of your post, your hostility in the beginning is really uncalled for. And no, I didn't call anything "the same". All I said was I read his articles and changed what I was doing. At the most, and the truth there is, I took some of his ideas on workout layout. But I definitely never said I was my workout his, or vice verse, or whatever your trying to say with your condescending tone. Are we here to help each other, or just give each other hell when we're having a bad day?

JSNeves

JSNeves

Awards
While you may have a good idea in the latter part of your post, your hostility in the beginning is really uncalled for. And no, I didn't call anything "the same". All I said was I read his articles and changed what I was doing. At the most, and the truth there is, I took some of his ideas on workout layout. But I definitely never said I was my workout his, or vice verse, or whatever your trying to say with your condescending tone. Are we here to help each other, or just give each other hell when we're having a bad day?
Just run with the better laid out workout program and and don't worry about his tone... and how can you question if we are hear to help each other when the guy provided a full workout for you? Surd it wasn't candy coated in delivery but what in life is?

If you think you must have shrugs and upright rows in your program... do a couple sets of shrugs after deads, you already have a heavy barbell sitting on the ground and you won't even need a warm up! Do 2 sets of upright rows at the end of any session you still have some energy

I have a very busy life and do great with 2 days a week.. one tip I have that differs from this thread and likely Dan johns advice is super/giant setting the minor work, you don't need rest from single joint exercises and if you have nailed a few bigger movements earlier in the workout the weight used in the workout doesn't matter to much

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
by doing snatch grip deads from 4" blocks you can hammer the traps as well as many other body parts hard while not messing up the shoulders like an upright row can do. you could also do farmer's walks, safety bar squats, or yoke walks.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
by doing snatch grip deads from 4" blocks you can hammer the traps as well as many other body parts hard while not messing up the shoulders like an upright row can do. you could also do farmer's walks, safety bar squats, or yoke walks.
I actually love farmers walks and during the nice weather months, I do those outback along with some other strongman exercises. Haven't considered snatch grip deadlifts yet though...

Regarding upright rows, I do them with a shoulder width grip and do not "shrug" my shoulders, basically it's a lateral raise holding a fixed bar when looking at the joint movement, targeting the middle deltoids. I've read this takes the strain off the shoulder joint. Is this not true?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you think you must have shrugs and upright rows in your program... do a couple sets of shrugs after deads, you already have a heavy barbell sitting on the ground and you won't even need a warm up! Do 2 sets of upright rows at the end of any session you still have some energy

I have a very busy life and do great with 2 days a week.. one tip I have that differs from this thread and likely Dan johns advice is super/giant setting the minor work, you don't need rest from single joint exercises and if you have nailed a few bigger movements earlier in the workout the weight used in the workout doesn't matter to much
Giant setting the the single joint movements is a good idea. It'd be nice to shave some time off the hour and a half workouts as well.