Which work out?? Advice, opinions!!!!

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
I am not new to lifting but this will be the 1st year I take it up properly.
I have done quite a bit of research so know about macros, ect ect.
Basicly my goal is to put on a bit of muscle, drop a bit of fat.
I am working towards looking more athletic , a boxers physique rather than be a hulk looking monster. (Personal preference) I am going to work out 3 days a week then maybe move up to four.

Can anyone recommend a work out regime that will achieve the goal I am looking for, I think it would be best that I use either a upper body lower body split or a full body workout regime but I am open to suggestions, 2 key areas I want to hit hard in this routine as they are two areas that are slow to respond are the tips of my arms (shoulders) and my calf's.

Any advice you can offer be it routine supplements or nutrition I will be happy to read it.
I know this information has already been asked a million times and the answers are here amongst the forums, I have read them but decided if I start my own thread I can have all the information I need for my goals in one place for me to read from.

Thanks in advance

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
5/3/1 and pick whatever accessory work from the book you want.

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Thanks for the fast reply, have you had any experience with this programme at all

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the fast reply, have you had any experience with this programme at all
Lots of people have with great results. Just search this forum for logs and read up, plenty of info here.

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Thanks for that, I will do some homework on it. Much appreciated

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
me and hundreds of thousands of others. it was created by one of the greatest powerlifters of our age.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
5/3/1 and pick whatever accessory work from the book you want.
If you're into powerlifting and strength. If you are more into aesthetics, I suggest volume training much like the fellas did in the "Golden Era". Check out GVT (German volume training). There are tons of plans and things out there that pertain to volume training. And they are way safer. Much lighter weight. I feel like I've been doing better since I switched to volume training whereas I strained my rotator doing a 5/3/1 on the bench some time back. It really does depend on your preference and goals. I have zero interest in powerlifting or that powerlifting look (swole bulk with big stomach)

B

badwolf42

Awards
If you want to look like a boxer then train like a boxer. If you are after body that a group of people already have then the best place to start is to copy them.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
If you want to look like a boxer then train like a boxer. If you are after body that a group of people already have then the best place to start is to copy them.
Very good way of putting it. And that's why I train legs like Tom Platz, hit shoulders like Phil Heath, and Chest like Arnold. I never train like Peter Petras.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I have zero interest in powerlifting or that powerlifting look (swole bulk with big stomach)
that look is becoming more popular amongst bodybuilders too.

and that even only happens with the super heavyweights. there are about a dozen other weight classes that are lighter and don't have bloated bellies. hell you can you can be a powerlifter at 130lbs. don't see too many bloated bellies on those little skinny guys.

GVT is NOT a beginner program. you have to have quite the work capacity to make it through. 5/3/1 takes that in to account and is a great beginners and experienced program. you can make it more volume via the accessory work. you can make it more aesthetic by changing the accessory work.

OP, speaking of accessory work, do the north of Vag template of 5/3/1. it will get you to your results and it is nice and simple. anyways, aesthetics mainly come from diet.

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I am using and have used a program called "Power Bodybuilding". I found it from bodybuilding.com Mike O'Hearn

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
that look is becoming more popular amongst bodybuilders too. and that even only happens with the super heavyweights. there are about a dozen other weight classes that are lighter and don't have bloated bellies. hell you can you can be a powerlifter at 130lbs. don't see too many bloated bellies on those little skinny guys. GVT is NOT a beginner program. you have to have quite the work capacity to make it through. anyways, aesthetics mainly come from diet.
That's true I was using the bellies as an example. Most powerlifters carry some weight to them. I prefer to carry less bf. At 130, you're not a powerlifter imo. You might compete in that weight class but I'm Talkin about truly strong people. Bench +500 type of stuff. Again, it depends on your goals. Some of these guys on here can lift some seriously heavy stuff, but look like a normal person and or out of shape. Not appealing to me.

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Cheers for all your info, very much appreciated, it still amazes me how complete strangers are willing to take the time to help another Randomer out so thank you all.If I had the time to train like a boxer believe me I would haha, I guess I will just have to settle for a routine that gets me the closest possible results to the goal I am looking to achieve. I am thinking the 5/3/1 routine is the best way to start, then go from there.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There's also an upper/lower split, you can search different programs to see what appeals to you....

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
There's also nothing wrong with just a regular bro split for someone just getting back into it. Chest/Tri back/Bi Shoulders/traps legs 3x10. Big exercises (bench, rows, squats) 4x10

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Thanks guys, think am going to go with the 531 programme as it looks like something that I can continue progression with plus it's all already worked out for me (a little plus lazy plus)

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
There is an app on the IPhone for that I believe

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Even better, thanks a lot for that, I will have a look now. I didn't fancy taking a pen and pad to the gym

A

amarula

Awards
that look is becoming more popular amongst bodybuilders too.

and that even only happens with the super heavyweights. there are about a dozen other weight classes that are lighter and don't have bloated bellies. hell you can you can be a powerlifter at 130lbs. don't see too many bloated bellies on those little skinny guys.

GVT is NOT a beginner program. you have to have quite the work capacity to make it through. 5/3/1 takes that in to account and is a great beginners and experienced program. you can make it more volume via the accessory work. you can make it more aesthetic by changing the accessory work.

OP, speaking of accessory work, do the north of Vag template of 5/3/1. it will get you to your results and it is nice and simple. anyways, aesthetics mainly come from diet.
Agree about GVT and 5/3/1. Still, other option would be a 5x5 template

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Thanks for the input, looked at the 5x5 programme but from what I have read on forums from people who have done this work out say it gets repetitive, altho results are more important I it would be nice to not dread the workout. I will look in to the gvt as well, I forgot it had been mentioned, got too carried away researching 531

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Also if I do go with 531 which variation of it would you recommend? After reading the book there is a few different versions which I didn't expect

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Do the original 5/3/1 from the second edition book, which you should get to answer any and all questions.

I'm guessing the version or variation you as about is the accessory work. That is up to you. Do the one that works your weak links and alspn the one you most believe in. As long as the amrap set on the main lift goes up then it is working. Just don't fret over the accessory work, don't major in the minors. Do what is needed to get the main lifts stronger. It is really that simple.

amanalki

amanalki

Awards
Cheers for that, sound advice. It wasn't so much the accessory work, it mentions a couple different variations of the programme like north of vag and one or two others I think. Not sure if mine is second edition or the first edition tho

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
That would be second edition.

The north of vag is great for conditioning.

I think that is the book that has a higher frequency version as well. It's rare IMO when people need more than 4 days a week so don't worry about that one.

It may also have the pyramid version which is good for more volume on the main lift. Great for those with high work capacity.

If you are not sure about programming in would still stick with the basics. For accessory work the big but boring or for the more adventurous the triumvirate are a great start. This whole program is about simplicity so keep it that way.

A

amarula

Awards
Thanks for the input, looked at the 5x5 programme but from what I have read on forums from people who have done this work out say it gets repetitive, altho results are more important I it would be nice to not dread the workout. I will look in to the gvt as well, I forgot it had been mentioned, got too carried away researching 531
There are many forms of the 5x5 and it can be integrated with other set/rep schemes. It's similar in that way with the 5/3/1

P

PILL

Awards
Like others said, the accessory work is not the biggest part of the program and doesn't matter all that much. Often I just do a 5x10 of the main 5/3/1 lift with around 50% of my max.