New to training

starlord1979

starlord1979

Awards
Hi there, I hope this is in the right thread but please forgive me if not.

I'm looking for a bit of advice on lifting.

I've recently hit the gym extremely hard and over 6 months I've lost 4 stone by adopting a calorie controlled diet and done nothing but cardio. I'm now 12 stone and don't want to lose any more weight as my height 6' is making me look skinny basically and I don't want that. I still have some body fat around my waist and belly which is minimal but still enough to cover a defined stomach. I'm really unsure of how to proceed now as cardio alone to lose that little bit of flab is going to make me look seriously ill. I've started lifting weights now to try and gain muscle and define a shape a little better. The problem I'm facing now is what should I eat now that I'm lifting as it was easy just not eating much and doing cardio to reach a goal but I'm now thinking I need to change my mindset completely so as I can gain muscle whilst still trying to lose the last bit of fat, should I be doing any cardio at all? Just weights? What should I be eating? When etc.

Sorry for the long winded question and and advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Try eatting some good carbs based around your workouts and up your protein intake. Lifting weights and still doing cardio will help you build and still shed. Do you use any supplements or no? A good protein powder can help you up your protein intake. If you need some check it out at Strong Supplement Shop. http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/protein

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Try eatting some good carbs based around your workouts and up your protein intake. Lifting weights and still doing cardio will help you build and still shed. Do you use any supplements or no? A good protein powder can help you up your protein intake. If you need some check it out at Strong Supplement Shop. http://www.strongsupplementshop.com/protein
Basically this^^

Add some more protein and carbs, don't be afraid of fats and get a decent nutrition plan started. Work out your calories and go from there, if it's not much fat you could always do a slow and lean bulk for 6months. That way fat will be kept minimal but as long as your training and sleep is good you will slowly begin putting on muscle and bulking up.

Well done for the 4 stone loss, I was actually the same as you when I started.

CpenDoc7

CpenDoc7

Awards
What's 12 stone in pounds? You look like 160-165 you need to up your calories and start eating for 200 lbs. 2500-2600 calories. Diet is your biggest enemy. Hitting the weights hard without the sustinence will be bad. Injuries...no energy....check into the nutrition forrums. You need to stock up on peanut butter, oats, protein, bananas , flax seed oil for your shakes....eat three good meals a day shakes in between. (2 would make it five meals) Preferably one after your workout. This is just a starter.....sort out a good workout and work out your diet...did I mention eat? Them of course train like a beast....

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Think a stone is 14lbs if I'm not mistakin... So 168

CpenDoc7

CpenDoc7

Awards
I was within three pounds I should get a cookie......oatmeal cookie......

papersteroid

Awards
In the event that you need to stay solid and have more vitality, You can take after an eating regimen arrangement.