AC joint separation/pain

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Hello. I don't know if this is the right area to post this but here it goes. So lately ive been making good progress. I was incline benching about a week ago and began have extreme pain in my left shoulder right around the AC joint area. I work in a hospital so decided to ask one of the ER docs who is an avid lifter what the pain could be. Based on my symptoms and a protrusion where the clavicle and AC joint meet, he came to the conclusion that its an AC joint separation. My questions to guys with similar problem in the past is what exercises did you guys do for chest? How long did you take off and what were the outcomes? Im planning on taking a week off but have been making great progress and really dont want to. Any experience with this injury, tips would be appreciated.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup I have a bum AC joint. Everything I've learned on it, has been from Eric Cressey articles. Following that, has helped me greatly.

When it initially happend, I put horizontal pressing on hold for a while. When I worked them back in, I wore a slingshot for heavier weights, or board pressing. Strengthening the lower trap area will help a lot. Also focused a lot on strengthening my rotators.

Mashing out my pecs and tspine helps greatly. I've also gotten Graston technique done many many times. Broke up a lot of tissue around the pec/biceps/scaps.

The last years it's been on and off benching. Lately, I've been able to focus on benching pain free again (consistently) and finally hit a PR. I hurt it again with a poorly leveraged self-unrack. It was fine two weeks later and hit a bench PR. I had to narrow my grip, and TBH, that made just a huge drastic improvement. I was able to keep my upper back tighter and stabilized the joint better.

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter168html

http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter169html

http://www.ericcressey.com/ac-joint-impingement-vs-regular-shoulder-impingement

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also, when I didn't bench, I could overhead press (like the article states)

And sleeping on that side completes fûcks me lol

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Yeah I can overhead bench no problem, Its benching that kills me. I just bought a slingshot so I hope it helps. Thanks for the reply.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I got close to one, shoulder was very sore. So I looked into some joint supps, & would highly recommend Super Cissus as it definatly helped my joints and aching/hurting. I think it would help the healing too

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
I always take super cissus. Ive been taking more than the recommended dosage for now. I have taken two days off from the gym so far and Im going insane . Today i woke up with that area extra sore and a huge lump where my ac joint is at. Funny enough today is shoulder day. Dont know if I should go or wait a couple more days.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
I always take super cissus. Ive been taking more than the recommended dosage for now. I have taken two days off from the gym so far and Im going insane . Today i woke up with that area extra sore and a huge lump where my ac joint is at. Funny enough today is shoulder day. Dont know if I should go or wait a couple more days.
Dang, im not sure, I would just rest and get adequate food, and get fish oils in too. Let it heal a couple of days and see how it feels.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If OP is still needing info. Happened to me in mid-2012 with BB OHP(ego lift), 4 weeks to recover using only rest. Thanks to this site found the Cressey site and info.
Happened again but with BB bench press doing simple cool down at minimal weight.(bounced bar off chest due to impatience I think is the reason) 2 weeks in now. Using Voltigerin(sp?) a NSAID. Injury coincided with annual physical and Dr. give me the script otherwise I would just let it heal for the usual 4 weeks. Avoided medium to heavy shoulder work and it fluctulates from Grade 1 to Grade 2 depending on upper body workout.(100 pushups recently aggravated it) Healing slowly and rehabbing per Cressey.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Hello UC SMiami thanks for the reply. Well since I originally posted this topic I actually went to go see an orthopedic surgeon. He had me do an MRI and per the MRI report there is no abnormalities except AC joint inflammation which is what I had expected all along. Well, soon after getting those MRI results I get a call from the orthopedic doctor saying there is a small tear in my labrum. I took a week off but saw no improvement. Im currently back at the gym but cannot touch chest of shoulders because the minute I do I feel intense pain after my workout. Next week Im going for plate,et injections into my labrum in an attempt to help my issue.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Understood.

I check progression by how stiff the ac joint and shoulder area is in the morning upon awakening.Particulary if able to support body weight without pain or sensitivity. Once it is warmed due to activity or heat it is fine except I stay away from most weights. I do not want to hear a Grade 3 pop or tear as can occur if stressed.

Did you mean platelet injections? I just researched that PRP therapy. Please post an update afterwards regarding progression. If it happens again another option would be useful. My Dr. does not believe in cortisone and similar as he believes they are counterproductive.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Yes PRP injections. I work in the health care industry and one of the ER docs I work with does it in his private practice. I do not like cortisone injections. There have been many recent issues with it and I have seen numerous people develop POTS syndrome from kenalog injections. I have read a lot on PRP injections and one of my friends had a full labrum tear repaired with one. He is not an avid lifter but states he has no issues with that shoulder whatsoever.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Ill definitely keep you posted on how it goes. Its worth a shot and many of the docs in my area administer these shots. They are pricey though.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How is your shoulder? Mine is almost healed 4 weeks in using the Voltaren and non-use of the area except for recovery exercises.

Last edited:
infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Hey UCSMiami. Well Its getting better ( thanks for asking) but not 100 percent. Im getting my platelet therapy shots next week and plan on doing a run of tb-500. Ive been doing some physical therapy but havent rested the area much in terms of lifting. Ive been lifting light but still lifting.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I Did CST on Saturday. Up to 70% of pre-injury weight. Then did 1hr of CF on Sunday involving 100 pushups, 100 burpess with 30lb vest. No pain.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Thats awesome UCSMiami. My pain is still present. I took a lot of you guys advice and i am running BPC-157 sub q as close to injury site as possible. I am also taking acti-flex 4000 which taste like a horses ass literally. Im gonna try this for a couple of weeks and see how this goes. i also plan on doing another run of ostarine just longer than 8 weeks at 15 mg a day. any advice from my AM bros would be much appreciated.

iceman99uc

Awards
OP, are you opposed to surgery to have the labral tear fixed? I know it isn't probably the optimal option, but from my experience, it worked well.

I had nearly the same situation, sprained AC joint later diagnosed as a partial SLAP tear after an MRI. Downside was for me, I had nearly 7 years between the initial injury until actual diagnosis. I did one month of Physical Therapy prior to surgery, but did not see any improvement in pain level. While I did not try peptides or platelet therapy (I was a college student and this was around 6 years ago), I can say that the surgical procedure while inconvenient for a bit, was worth it in the long run.

Outside of surgery, my suggestion would be to try getting suggestions for PT routines to help strengthen your shoulder. Rotator work/etc. I know from mine, my shoulder had shifted forward to compensate so my rear muscles were lagging.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Yeah, surgery is an option for me right now but my sports medicine dr believes its a bad idea.Im throwing every possible thing I can at my shoulder before getting surgery. i do not want to be out for 6 months and lose gains. How did your slap tear occur? How long was your recovery?

iceman99uc

Awards
My slap tear occurred during a snowboarding crash. Landed on my shoulder roughly, separating it. Originally diagnosed as a sprain. When I finally got the surgery, my recovery time was not terribly long. I think I had roughly two months of PT following, but my was only a small tear that was shaved and did not require any anchoring. I cannot remember exact time I was told to stay out of gym. It was only a few weeks I believe. Then I went back to train legs when I could. Working back into upper body took some time, but it was not terrible. The biggest hurdle post surgery is continuing to work ROM and PT exercises, while trying to get through the mental hurdles during regular movements.

Hopefully you can avoid surgery. I just know that where I was at that time, surgery was my preferred option to get the best results. I was in my mid 20s and was sick of fighting it.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today did full CST range where I was at pre-injury and no pain or soreness! So 11 weeks (Jan 24th injury date) recovery time.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Awesome. So i went to see another orthopedic, I have ac joint osteolysis. They gave me a steroid shot about 1 week ago and the pain is gone but my shoulder still feels uneasy.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
If this continues Im just going to have a distal clavicle resection done, down time isnt long and it will fix the problem. I plan on competing in the next couple of years so I want to be 100 percent

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Best Wishes. I should add I slightly widened my grip on the barbell bench and that little maneuver removed a significant amount of pressure away from my shoulder. I thought little finger on the ring was appropriate form and have always used that approach but found moving over to the ring finger, 3/4" spacing?, to facilitate pushing the barbell.

PoundThaSnooc

PoundThaSnooc

Awards
I tore mine a few years ago going for a 1rm. I was leaving for infantry basic training about a month afterwards and thought i was screwed. I cut out benching completely and eventually it healed itself after about a year. When I did start benching I started narrow as opposed to my normal wide and just worked my way back up. Now I can go heavy and wide without a problem.

Best of luck

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Nice poundthasnooc, maybe i should cut out bench press for a year and see what happens. This is hindered me so much it sucks

PoundThaSnooc

PoundThaSnooc

Awards
i feel ya man. its the weirdest pain ive had. i did a lot of pushups over the course of a few months after the injury, maybe that had something to do with it healing. i dunno

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Ive been dealing with this since december, I got a steroid shot and it helped the pain but its slowly but surely coming back.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did a very heavy CST(new PB!) yesterday and noticed two things: 1.Decline bench press placed much less stress on the ac joint than flat bench. 2. Placed a 45 plate underneath the flat bench to provide a slight decline and noticed also less stress on the ac joint. Moved more weight than ever on the flat bench. (I found that trick by searching online)

And again I moved my fingers outward a bit where my middle finger is on the bar ring. I know too far is not good for the shoulder as well and will hold it here. But from previously having the pinky finger on the ring to the middle made a difference in comfort on the flat bench.

Maybe it will help those of us with shoulder issues. I am injury recovered but am still very careful with any work involving this area.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Good to hear UCSMiami! Im definately gonna try that next time. I have been slowly getting better, ive been working around the injury. I bought tommy kono power hooks which have helped me use dumbells without causing to much shoulder pain. I used to get intense shoulder pain getting the dumbells into position.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Little update with a curious bit thrown in.

I was away all last week, M-F, traveling on business, No gym. Did CST yesterday. Went super heavy- Bench, incline, overhead and decline and did just fine. Shoulder feels good. Finished cardio boot camp this a.m. 200pushups, 200 db flys this and 200db raises and still good. Consider myself lucky it was not worse.

Ironically my shoulder was very sore on Thursday and Friday in the hours after awakening in the a.m. Estimate it is scar tissue maybe which working out dissipates? Do not know.[hotel bed ergonomic issue?] Will test.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
nice, makes sense. My shoulder is so much better. I switched to wide grip bench press and it has helped a lot

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I put 25lbs on my working bench press since I gave myself the all clear eight months ago or so. I must have had all of it penned up inside waiting for a shoulder I was happy with.
But sometimes, sometimes, awaken in the middle of the night with intense right, previously injured, ac joint shoulder pain. Changing sleeping position alleviates the condition. (interior rotation due to pillow I think). I take a bench press position on the bed regarding shoulders back, chest up and the pain minimizes almost immediately.

How are you?

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
I put 25lbs on my working bench press since I gave myself the all clear eight months ago or so. I must have had all of it penned up inside waiting for a shoulder I was happy with.
But sometimes, sometimes, awaken in the middle of the night with intense right, previously injured, ac joint shoulder pain. Changing sleeping position alleviates the condition. (interior rotation due to pillow I think). I take a bench press position on the bed regarding shoulders back, chest up and the pain minimizes almost immediately.

How are you?
Dude thanks for checking up! I am a lot better. I still get pain from time to time on my ac joint but it has definitely improved. Blu emu has made a difference for me believe it or not.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After months of no issues just suffered the same injury Monday a.m. while warming up on cleans. Poor rhythm led to bad form to injury. Ouch! Feel like a newb.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gave it rest from the rest of Monday thru Friday and started back easy Sat/Sun. Today went heavy with BB but it is CST work that is the test. Pulling does not hurt it will be pushing work. That will be on Wed. and intend to go easy that day.

Have been using a great deal of the oral and topical supplement that helped me last year.