Smolov Bench Press Advice

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
I'm about to run a full Smolov for Bench Press and I was wondering if it's okay to do my OHPs during my off days. Would it be too much stress on my shoulders? Does anyone suggest specific rep ranges that won't mess with my Smolov run or can I continue to do 5 reps or less?

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Iv only done it with the squat and tryed to get a little upper body in on days off but it just made my leg days that much harder... So imo just stick to bench. Any extra movements with the upper body will hinder the bench preformance.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Iv only done it with the squat and tryed to get a little upper body in on days off but it just made my leg days that much harder... So imo just stick to bench. Any extra movements with the upper body will hinder the bench preformance.
I would agree. Just focus on bench now if you're doing Smolov.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
IMO, if you are asking that question then you are not ready for smolov or at least do not know how to use smolov and what it is meant to do.

simply put, smolov programs are meant to increase 1 lift and all you do is the plan, nothing else. if you can do more than you are not working hard enough. FYI, most people do not survive smolov, as great as it is it is very hard to finish.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Only lasted 5wks.... Got 65lbs out of it but it was HELL

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
I recently did smolov for squat, well just two base mesocycles, and gained 40 pounds. I was able to do upperbody for the most part but I couldn't do much back because my legs would just give out. Moral of my experience limit any to all upperbody work as your shoulders will take a major toll

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
I just recently ran Smolov jr then Smolov Intense Phase and I liked it a lot, but I would limit upper body work to upper back and bis and some very LIGHT DB Bench Press.
I used the DB bench to get a nice stretch in my chest and pump blood into everything, but not to fatigue.
My Overhead Press actually ended up improving without doing it for 2-3 months.

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
I just recently ran Smolov jr then Smolov Intense Phase and I liked it a lot, but I would limit upper body work to upper back and bis and some very LIGHT DB Bench Press. I used the DB bench to get a nice stretch in my chest and pump blood into everything, but not to fatigue. My Overhead Press actually ended up improving without doing it for 2-3 months.

Thanks for the input. Honestly I expected the post from people telling me I'm stupid for asking this question, but it's a legitimate concern. I'd rather hear from people who at least attempted Smolov rather than people who have never done it. I really like your input. I'll keep that in mind when I do accessory work during my non-Smolov days. I guess I'll just hit my abdominals and biceps during my off days. I'm fairly used to high volume workouts so I'm interested in how far I'll make it through Smolov.

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
Keep things to a minimum if your goin to do exrtas... By that I mean 1 set, not more. Because you use your biceps when benching and them being anykinda tired will hinder progress.

It has been said before, smolov is set up in a way that no other work should be done.... Up to you.

Jakethaniel

Jakethaniel

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the input. Honestly I expected the post from people telling me I'm stupid for asking this question, but it's a legitimate concern. I'd rather hear from people who at least attempted Smolov rather than people who have never done it. I really like your input. I'll keep that in mind when I do accessory work during my non-Smolov days. I guess I'll just hit my abdominals and biceps during my off days. I'm fairly used to high volume workouts so I'm interested in how far I'll make it through Smolov.
If you are going to the gym on your nonsmolov days I would advise you to not do any chest, shoulder, or triceps on those nonsmolov day, but you could do some light benching on those day to maximize neural efficiency. It would be super low volume, maybe 10 reps over 50% and nothing over 90%. Maybe like a triple at 70%, double at 80%, and single at 90%

If you are going to do any overhead pressing or like I said like db bench then you should do that on the smolov days along with some upper back work then legs and everything else on nonsmolov days.

Good luck and keep us posted!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
another good thing you could do on non smolov days is to work your lats and rear delts hard to make sure your body stays balanced.

organometal

Awards
Ran smolov for bench. Ended up hurting my shoulder - too much volume for me

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Ran smolov for bench. Ended up hurting my shoulder - too much volume for me
another good thing you could do on non smolov days is to work your lats and rear delts hard to make sure your body stays balanced.

i also have a lot of elbow pain unless i do some periodic high rep hammer curls.

organometal

Awards
Yeah. That makes sense. I should have really considered pre-hab before starting.

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
If you are going to the gym on your nonsmolov days I would advise you to not do any chest, shoulder, or triceps on those nonsmolov day, but you could do some light benching on those day to maximize neural efficiency. It would be super low volume, maybe 10 reps over 50% and nothing over 90%. Maybe like a triple at 70%, double at 80%, and single at 90% If you are going to do any overhead pressing or like I said like db bench then you should do that on the smolov days along with some upper back work then legs and everything else on nonsmolov days. Good luck and keep us posted!
Yeah, I'll make sure to keep off the benching related muscles. I'll most likely do relatively low volume as maintenance for all the non related muscles.

I'll probably start a lot of my Smolov experience as well.

Hajiroku

Hajiroku

Awards
  • Established
If you are going to the gym on your nonsmolov days I would advise you to not do any chest, shoulder, or triceps on those nonsmolov day, but you could do some light benching on those day to maximize neural efficiency. It would be super low volume, maybe 10 reps over 50% and nothing over 90%. Maybe like a triple at 70%, double at 80%, and single at 90%

If you are going to do any overhead pressing or like I said like db bench then you should do that on the smolov days along with some upper back work then legs and everything else on nonsmolov days.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I started a workout log here.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/262584-shiny-umbreons-smolov.html

This is a huge experiment to be honest and I'm sure many users will flame me. If anything I'll drop Smolov Bench in favor of Smolov Squat. Anyways, I plan on keeping you all posted. I don't know how far I'll make it, but I'm going to try my damned best.