Molecular hydrogen lowers lactic acid and fatigue and etc

kevus

Awards
So I Don't get on forums much anymore but I was curious if anyone has heard of this?
Seems like it hasn't caught on yet.
and this isn't alkaline water which is pretty BS BTW

Molecular hydrogen seems to have a huge range of positive effects from improving cholesterol to reducing fatigue in elite soccer players.
There are hundreds of peer reviewed studies on it. Yet I can't find anyone that sells magnesium sticks to make your own.

Here is a good review of it.

Molecular hydrogen as a preventive and therapeutic medical gas: initiation, development and potential of hydrogen medicine

and here is a snippet on an exercise study with it.

"Acute exercise resulted in an increase in blood lactate levels in the subjects given
placebo water, whereas oral intake of H2-water prevented the elevation
of blood lactate during heavy exercise. Peak torque in the placebo
water-group significantly decreased during maximal isokinetic knee
extension, indicating muscle fatigue"

Thoughts??

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This seems really stupid and very impractical. So somebody needs forward this to the AM article section so they can post it where it belongs.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am extremely skeptical over these papers. I would want to investigate the funding source a bit to see if there is a connection to one of these hydrogen water companies.

If it does work I imagine H + H20 forms some sort of acid that acts as a buffer. Although this is entirely just me speculating. Did the researchers propose a mechanism in the papers?

As an aside, a while back there was a some hype over water with extra oxygen and that never panned out. Googling hydrogen water returns quite a few sites trying to sell it by making some typical hyperbolic homeopathic claims. I suspect hydrogen water will suffer the same fate as extra oxygen water did. As in it will di out because it is bullsh1t

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I am extremely skeptical over these papers. I would want to investigate the funding source a bit to see if there is a connection to one of these hydrogen water companies.

If it does work I imagine H + H20 forms some sort of acid that acts as a buffer. Although this is entirely just me speculating. Did the researchers propose a mechanism in the papers?

As an aside, a while back there was a some hype over water with extra oxygen and that never panned out. Googling hydrogen water returns quite a few sites trying to sell it by making some typical hyperbolic homeopathic claims. I suspect hydrogen water will suffer the same fate as extra oxygen water did. As in it will di out because it is bullsh1t
I haven't read these papers but the extra oxygenated water idea just seems silly. Even high altitude training doesn't really evoke much of a change to at sea level performance. It seems as though oxygen intake isn't the limiting factor as much as oxygen uptake at the cellular level

kevus

Awards
Hydrogen acts as an antioxidant according to the research.
It also stimulates the release of Ghrelin. GHRP-2 and others are Ghrelin analogues.
It's very practical considering cheap magnesiums sticks will generate significant quantities of dissolved H2 in water.

There's hundreds of studies, maybe thousands, on it from hundreds of researchers. I don't think the H2 industry is financing them. lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hydrogen acts as an antioxidant according to the research.
Not too sure this is the mechanism for the increased performance (or the prevention of decreased performance)

Fatigue is a primarily the result of the accumulation of metabolites such as lactate and/or H+ (via mechanical occlusion) Although there are suspected pathways in which oxidative stress can play a role ( electron leakage within mitochondria) it is doubtful this H water is effective (in this regard) due to its antioxidative effects.

It also stimulates the release of Ghrelin. GHRP-2 and others are Ghrelin analogues.
I don't think Ghrelin is going to have an effect on fatigue and H waters ability to stimulate it appears to be speculative.

There's hundreds of studies, maybe thousands, on it from hundreds of researchers. I don't think the H2 industry is financing them. lol
This post reads as if you found our commentary offensive. You asked for input and we provided some. I just did a quick search but quite a bit of the research I saw had a financial interest in them. Even the one you posted, was done by a scientist who also runs a company that makes and sells h water. While competition financial interest doesn't fully discredit research, it does cause some hesitation to accept the results.

kevus

Awards
Not too sure this is the mechanism for the increased performance (or the prevention of decreased performance)

Fatigue is a primarily the result of the accumulation of metabolites such as lactate and/or H+ (via mechanical occlusion) Although there are suspected pathways in which oxidative stress can play a role ( electron leakage within mitochondria) it is doubtful this H water is effective (in this regard) due to its antioxidative effects.

I don't think Ghrelin is going to have an effect on fatigue and H waters ability to stimulate it appears to be speculative.

This post reads as if you found our commentary offensive. You asked for input and we provided some. I just did a quick search but quite a bit of the research I saw had a financial interest in them. Even the one you posted, was done by a scientist who also runs a company that makes and sells h water. While competition financial interest doesn't fully discredit research, it does cause some hesitation to accept the results.
It's not known exactly how it reduces the rise in lactate levels or how it helps reduce fatigue apart from acting as an antioxidant.

I agree that a short term rise in Ghrelin wouldn't do much of anything for fatigue. but it raising ghrelin levels isn't speculative
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24253616

I'm happy for the commentary although it comes off as dismissive. Which study was financed by a manufacturer?
There are still a ton of studies about it. I find it hard to believe that many positive studies would be influenced by financial interests. Especially considering how cheap it is to produce water with hydrogen in it.