Best option to maintain muscle when unable to train

Syanide

Syanide

Awards
Hey guys,

Training has been going great since sept this year diet on point, training 4 times a week etc put on some good solid muscle but had an unexpected eye operation last week and cannot train for around 10 weeks.

I know I will lose muscle but what are options for keeping as much as possible until I can start training again?

Do I simply stay on lower carbs and keep protein to 1g per pound of body weight?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just talking about diet yes keep protein high and carbs a min since you wont be training. keep track of your weight to and that will help you determine how you should switch your diet up.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was out for awhile with a shoulder surgery, but would do as much as I could. IE walk on a treadmill in a sling, lol. Keep your diet in check and hit it hard when you return, you'll be surprised how quickly you can bounce back.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet, as always, will be the most crucial component in keeping gains and not gaining unwanted fat. This will also help you when it is time to start training again.

badwolf42

Awards
Try to stay as active as possible outside the gym. Make sure you cut calories enough to not gain fat and not to much that you lose weight. 10 weeks really isn't to long. Muscle lose at that time should really be minimal.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Muscle memory is a fantastic thing!

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're not training then you shouldn't need one gram of protein per pound of body weight. Your body will have no requirement for that much protein.