Switching to sumo deadlift. Good idea?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I wasn't sure if I should post in my other thread, or make a new one since the topic is slightly different, I decided to make a new thread. Anyway, I tried sumo deadlifts today and they felt way better and more natural for me. I'm sure this is probably due to some sort of tightness. I've been having issues with my SI joint. I went to PT about it and they gave me stretches to do, the pain went away for awhile, but not it's coming back again. My conventional deadlift form is good, atleast I think so. However once the weight gets heavy, I feel all this tightness in my lower back and around my hips. I do a lot of stretches, but still the same issue. With sumo deadlifts atleast so far, I don't have that issue. Would it just be better for me to switch to sumo deadlifts, atleast for afew months? Also for whatever reason, when I do deadlifts my body gets really hot, way more so then when I do any other exercise. It's 36 degrees out, the heat is off and yet I still had to open the windows when I was deadlifting. Any advise would be great, thanks.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are you more looking for strength or building muscle?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do them both as they target different areas. Sumos have more leg emphasis and quad targeting, while conventional will hit your glute, hams, and back more. Both are prime moves for building the posterior chain, but there are differences and it is good to do both if you can.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I do them both as they target different areas. Sumos have more leg emphasis and quad targeting, while conventional will hit your glute, hams, and back more. Both are prime moves for building the posterior chain, but there are differences and it is good to do both if you can.
^^^ There is no reason not to work both as for the goal of lower body strength and upper back size/thickness. I use all variations and even enjoy Rack Pulls, Reeves, and RDLs. Bigger focus is to make sure your consistent on a primary for strength and the rest can be assistance or fun. The options really come down to which ever you feel comfortable with.

badwolf42

Awards
There is really no reason to do conventional deadlifts if they are causing a problem. If sumo doesn't cause problems do them. Maybe come back after awhile to give conventional a try again but really both involve picking a bar off the floor and even though they might focus on slightly different angles as long as your picking something up off the floor you will benefit.