New bench press form check incline 45 degrees

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I know I posted threads in the past about bench pressing. I figured 'd make a new thread since the old ones have to do with benching at a different angle and grip style.
http://vid37.photobucket.com/albums/e51/BrainStorm_wow/Workout/Miscellaneous/hpim2765_zpsuywwswrr.mp4
The camera is lower than the bench, please keep that in mind when judging the angle. I finally foundout how to tuck my elbows in. It took my awhile since I don't think of it as "tucking the elbows, but more as shifting the elbows slightly forward. Anyway, how does my form look? I don't feel pressure on my shoulders anymore and I feel my forearms getting worked a lot with my chest. My goal is the bring the bar to 90. I believe I am, but it doesn't appear that way due to the angle. I do feel a nice stretch in the pecs. Also, this is the best filming angle I can do for right now.

napalm

napalm

Awards
Derrick...buddy...pal...

Your form looks great for a 3 inch range of motion. The problem is, the body makes gains best with a FULL range of motion.

If you can't do a full ROM with that weight, take some off until you can...

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
^^ I also agree. If that is all you got for ROM than you aren't helping your bench at all

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Even with tucking the elbows and feeling some tension on the chest I cant say stretching and contracting there. The ROM must be greater to stimulate a stronger contraction. Why do your feel you only need to go to 90? Any pain in your shoulder or along your collarbone?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Even with tucking the elbows and feeling some tension on the chest I cant say stretching and contracting there. The ROM must be greater to stimulate a stronger contraction. Why do your feel you only need to go to 90? Any pain in your shoulder or along your collarbone?
I was having shoulder pain, but when I finally found out how to tuck my elbows all the pain is gone now; however I am only going slightly lower with my elbows tucked. I feel like I'm going low when I bench. It's like my body cant bring the bar lower. I figured I'd be happy going to 90 considering I have very long forearms and I'm doing incline bench. I stretch my shoulders every other do. I'm not sure what mobility and stretch work to do.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was having shoulder pain, but when I finally found out how to tuck my elbows all the pain is gone now; however I am only going slightly lower with my elbows tucked. I feel like I'm going low when I bench. It's like my body cant bring the bar lower. I figured I'd be happy going to 90 considering I have very long forearms and I'm doing incline bench. I stretch my shoulders every other do. I'm not sure what mobility and stretch work to do.
Arms up at 90 in the doorway and step through with one leg and stretch 3-5x for 20-30sec a time. Laying on the floor and bringing your arms up and overhead (Angels) give me decent benefit and I get my TPs needled every other week

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Try to widen you grip just a touch, see how u like that

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'll have to test it next week. I wore my arms out. How did that look though?
honestly, there wasn't much to look at. Arms were angled in, and ROM was still lacking. Keep workin bro, you'll get there

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're trying to fix your form now instead of next week, go in there with an empty bar and push the range of motion so we can see what breaks down where. If nothing breaks down in a full range all the way to your chest, then put weight on until something happens. Being tired is only going to help us diagnose better. The likelihood of you injuring yourself with an empty bar is very low, so get in there and make it happen.

frankz2

frankz2

Awards
^^ This. You'll never know with those safety bars there either.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Did you try touching your chest with just the bar?
I went as low as comfortable. I wish I could give you guys a side view. Once Monday comes I'm going to try and take a better video, since I just bought a new phone.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I went as low as comfortable. I wish I could give you guys a side view. Once Monday comes I'm going to try and take a better video, since I just bought a new phone.
That means you're not doing it right. Your elbow placement and how high you're coming down on your chest has a major effect on shoulder pain. Go look at some of the greats and their form. Not to be rude, but it doesn't seem you understand what a proper incline bench rep looks like in the slightest. Which is ok, we are here to help. We all started somewhere not knowing jack. Drop the weight and focus on getting that form perfect. The weight jumps up there quickly after good form and consistency.

Attachments

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Grip..... Make it wider
Yes. Much wider than what you have. I've always thought a good rule of thumb for beginners is to make sure your arms to bar look like an "H" from the front (nice and square). From there you can widen or shorten grip as desired.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the reason I have a close grip is because with a wide grip my shoulders feel real stiff moving the bar down.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Yeah, the reason I have a close grip is because with a wide grip my shoulders feel real stiff moving the bar down.
Typically that means you're flaring your elbows outward coming down, however your elbows look decent coming straight down from what I can see. Maybe it's because it's different. When you have a really short grip and you try to go what is to you really wide, it's going to feel very uncomfortable. You have created habits and muscle memory with your bad habits. Learn good habits. They are going to feel awkward and your weight will suffer drastically at first. But you work on that for 2 months and your weight ought to skyrocket.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Typically that means you're flaring your elbows outward coming down, however your elbows look decent coming straight down from what I can see. Maybe it's because it's different. When you have a really short grip and you try to go what is to you really wide, it's going to feel very uncomfortable. You have created habits and muscle memory with your bad habits. Learn good habits. They are going to feel awkward and your weight will suffer drastically at first. But you work on that for 2 months and your weight ought to skyrocket.
So how wide? Should I try having my pinky over the rings on the bar?

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
So how wide? Should I try having my pinky over the rings on the bar?
Experiment with it. Go square at first and try going out on that ring by a finger each time. It's all subjective at that point. I put my middle finger on the smooth rings.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
One last question for now. I'm on a bulk right now, but I need to cut no later than March. Actually I should cut now as you can see, but I really want to hit some goals first. How easy would it be to gain bench strength if I go down to just maintenance calories for about 2 months, before a cut?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
One last question for now. I'm on a bulk right now, but I need to cut no later than March. Actually I should cut now as you can see, but I really want to hit some goals first. How easy would it be to gain bench strength if I go down to just maintenance calories for about 2 months, before a cut?
Not easy, especially without a full ROM. If you want pressing strength to go up, an all out bulk is best. Now If you commit to a full range of motion, you could make gains since you'll finally be giving your body the proper stimulus.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Personally, I would continue to bulk until you gain some muscle mass. I mean, no offense, but you can't even incline bench 1 plate properly. You may be carrying some unwanted fat, but if you loose that without muscle you're going to look like a shaved bird. It's all up to you. Just my $0.02, as if it's worth anything. Focus on the proper range of motion and eat more protein.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I would continue to bulk until you gain some muscle mass. I mean, no offense, but you can't even incline bench 1 plate properly. You may be carrying some unwanted fat, but if you loose that without muscle you're going to look like a shaved bird. It's all up to you. Just my $0.02, as if it's worth anything. Focus on the proper range of motion and eat more protein.
I'm prone to sleep apnea, so I cant get too fat.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I'm prone to sleep apnea, so I cant get too fat.
We are our own biggest critics. You don't look obese. I too have sleep apnea. Bulking doesn't mean eat whatever you see. That's called dirty bulking. No bueno. Do some research bud.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
We are our own biggest critics. You don't look obese. I too have sleep apnea. Bulking doesn't mean eat whatever you see. That's called dirty bulking. No bueno. Do some research bud.
I do eat fairly clean. The thing is, I went on a bulk too soon. I started bulking when I was at 21% bodyfat(just judging by the mirror) I'm at 23-24% now I think. I just got tired of cutting.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Why are you on bulking/cutting cycles? You are not competing. Focus on your overall performance and fitness, not bulking and cutting. You need the skills first, in my opinion.

badwolf42

Awards
Just wanted to throw my two cents in. First take the weight off the bar and learn the groove of the lift with the bar at first. Second i don't know why you keep saying it but you don't have crazy long forearms, nothing to prevent you from touching. Third you seem to be giving a lot of excuses to why you can't do certain things instead of just working. Fourth you really just look uncomfortable and scared with the lift, this kind of goes back to point one but go back to little weight and groove the lift and add weight when your comfortable with it.

Guido14

Guido14

Awards
The bar needs to touch your chest. You posted 3 vids and each one was horrible. If your taking the time to train you need to do it properly to see any results

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Maybe you need to stop benching. Not trying to be a dick, but if everything you do feels wrong, or hurts, stop doing it. Try DB's

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
It's because of how insanely close your grip is, which multiple people have said. Look man, going along with guido and wrivest, if you can't read what we are typing to help you and apply it or go online and look for yourself, then you need to stop doing bench press. Barbell bench press is the #1 exercise people get injured on. I strained my rotator cuff on it.

Widen your grip A LOT.
Touch your chest
Quit bitching
Push the sh*t up

If you can't do those things, stop and work on stabilizer muscles and use dumbbells like wrivest said. Again, don't take my "tone" the wrong way, but you won't listen to anyone here and keep posting videos of insanely awful form. Either you work on it the right way, or stop posting on this thread because we have all tried to help you.

Tough love.

badwolf42

Awards
I'm sorry but that doesn't look better at all. Your doing more of a incline JM skull crush combo which is why your elbows hurt. If your elbows are hurting and your doing everything you can to put as much pressure on them as possible nothing will ever stop hurting.
Since you clearly aren't taking any technique suggestions offered here the only option is either stop benching or find someone to actually teach you in real life.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
It's because of how insanely close your grip is, which multiple people have said. Look man, going along with guido and wrivest, if you can't read what we are typing to help you and apply it or go online and look for yourself, then you need to stop doing bench press. Barbell bench press is the #1 exercise people get injured on. I strained my rotator cuff on it.

Widen your grip A LOT.
Touch your chest
Quit bitching
Push the sh*t up

If you can't do those things, stop and work on stabilizer muscles and use dumbbells like wrivest said. Again, don't take my "tone" the wrong way, but you won't listen to anyone here and keep posting videos of insanely awful form. Either you work on it the right way, or stop posting on this thread because we have all tried to help you.

Tough love.
I didn't realize posting videos on progress constituted as bitching. As far as a wide grip, I tried and stated before that a wide grip hurts my shoulders; this is with the should blades pinned back. I found out on my own tonight, that I get more shoulder pain the lower the bench angle is.
As far as touching the chest, there are quite a few people that would disagree with you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW6J7A07ve0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeXECbti2gU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3P2e8Sjqg(close, but not touching) I guess Jay Cutler just can't bench
My new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OxwYZjAvnU
My arms are at 45 degrees at the bottom angle. If I touch my chest, my rotator cuffs would snap

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
D, here's the issue guys are having on here. Every video you post, guys critique, and then you come back and say why you can't do what guys are saying. If you have physical limitations on your bench, I get it, shît happens. Like I said last time, maybe bench just ain't your thing man!!
All of your vids look exactly the same, and they all look incorrect. Not bad to the point you're gonna hurt yourself, but just not good enough to make big, useful gains.
Try DB's and see how they feel, you may like them better.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
well, no one wants any help here. off to the next thread.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Man, you are getting some flack because you are coming here for form advise, and you are getting advise and it doesn't appear to be sinking in.

What I am hearing is that when you bench, the movement causes you pain. Shoulders and elbows hurt.

What I am seeing in your video is the following.

1. More than anything, you are CLEARLY afraid of this movement. You have the safety pins set way too high, and you aren't even coming half way down. For anyone I've ever seen in my lift, their neck is smaller than their chest. I always set the bars so that if I get in a jam, I can dump it and my head/neck will be below the bars, while my chest is above. Most of the time, as you do this, you torso is expanded and just collapsing your torso will also bring your chest below the bars or almost below. You should use an empty bar and get a feel for the safety and where the bar will wind up when you dump it.

2. You are letting your ego dictate quite a bit. You are going for PRs, but those numbers don't mean anything. You were told a number of times to drop ALL of the weight off the bar and use an empty bar to get the form down. You resisted and kept posting videos with the same weight a number of times, then posted a video with less weight, and finally posted a video with no weight. Your form was by far the best with no weight at all, and even still it needed work.

3. You asked for advise, a dozen people say the same thing, and then you say "well Jay Cutler does it this way". Well, Jay is not the general population. Jay's form is crappy and would never get him by in a powerlifting meet - which is fine because his goals are different than that. So what are your goals? Do you want to have good bench press form that helps you get stronger and healthier? Or do you want to be able to move 300 pounds 1/4 of the way through the movement? Because if you just want to move 300 pounds and say you benched it, you are right - you don't need our help. You can keep doing what you are doing.

4. You have two glaring issues. 1 - your bar doesn't come down even close to your chest and 2 - you have a grip that is way too narrow. Everyone sees it, and i bet you do to if you look at your videos.

The lower the incline, the more force is placed on your front delts, so you are correct, this puts strain on that muscle. The narrower the grip, the more strain is placed on your triceps and elbows. If you can't do a full range of motion because it hurts, then your body is telling you there is too much force on those joints to accommodate the demand. Lighten the load and practice.

Empty bar, wider grip, lower to your chest. If you want to go Cutler and you're an inch off your chest, fine - but being 6+ inches away isn't doing much good.

These issues you are describing could be caused by a lack of mobility (which will increase with a full ROM) or just weak muscles in the chain. This is a chest exercise, but your front delts may not be ready to accommodate the load that your chest can handle. If you adjust form to avoid this pain and keep pushing heavy weights, you are going to get hurt.

Put your ego aside and try some things you are not comfortable with, and you will actually get where you're going. That's part of this game and we all face it. I often have weeks myself where I wonder - "Gee, I've been stuck at 6 reps with this weight for 3 weeks, maybe I should drop back a little and get a few more reps?" But then I am fighting my ego...i've worked hard to get to this weight...

We aren't attacking you, we all make these mistakes. But what you are hearing from the people on here isn't even debatable. We're not talking whether Jay Cutler touched his chest or was 1 inch off his chest. We are talking about form that is completely off and will most likely lead to injury if you don't put your ego aside now and fix things.