Squat belt

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
This isn't really a training question, I just wasn't sure where to put it. The only squat belts I've ever used are the ones at my university gym, but I'm going home for a month so I was gonna buy one for myself. Are there any brands that are just better than others for some reason, or are they just the same for the most part?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I use Harbinger. they're pretty nice. They have the leather ones and softer ones with Velcro.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
liftinglarge.com
elitefts.com
roguefitness.com
titansupport.com
inzernet.com
bestbelts.net

dont bother with one that is thin on side and thick on the other unless you plan on putting the thick part in the front. a back belt is not meant to be worn on the back but to be used to push the abz out to increase intraabdominal pressure to stabilize the back.

Lifting_Dad

Lifting_Dad

Awards
This isn't really a training question, I just wasn't sure where to put it. The only squat belts I've ever used are the ones at my university gym, but I'm going home for a month so I was gonna buy one for myself. Are there any brands that are just better than others for some reason, or are they just the same for the most part?
I have competed in different areas and have noticed that as a bodybuilder or physique competitor, it's simply a matter of support that is ideal.
Harbinger would be ideal.

If you are focused on powerlifting or strength, a lever belt or a solid 4inch, 2 prong belt will work well.
I have a lever belt and a cheap belt I picked up from bb.com. The bb.com belt actually worked quite well.
It's a 2-prong belt at around $25-30. Very good price for what you get. It'll take a bit to break in, but that can be sped up by keeping the belt rolled up in your gym bag when not in use.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Inzer forever belt is a good reasonably priced one. Had mine for 2 years and it's the same stiffness as day 1.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I have a padded leather Valeo that I have been using for 5 years and my dad used it a couple years before that. Pretty inexpensive as well.

emantest

emantest

Awards
Aesthreadics has great belts, fully customizable. My brother just ordered a belt and bag which reads IFBB pro. You can have F uck Genetics or Never Quit or Someday I'll be a Boss or whatever you'd like.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
i have an inzer 10mm lever belt. Bought it because of that lifetime warrenty and one my friends has had his since 1980 and it looks a little worn but that's it. Honestly I love it feels good

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
i also have an inzer forever belt, it's super easy to get on and off. i also like the stiffness, i attribute my latest deadlift PR to it. it's a little thick though if you do oly lifts. great for powerlifting though.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
i also have an inzer forever belt, it's super easy to get on and off. i also like the stiffness, i attribute my latest deadlift PR to it. it's a little thick though if you do oly lifts. great for powerlifting though.
i thought about trying it out during my weightlifting and it ended up almost bruising a rib in my bottom catch positions

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
That's because the belt that you squat with shouldn't be the same belt that you deadlift or clean with.

T Nation | The Belt and the Deadlift
i knew not to weightlift in it but wanted to see what it felt like and if I could. I don't agree with the deadlift part as I can easily pull sumo with the belt on and my lifting mechanics don't change

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
i knew not to weightlift in it but wanted to see what it felt like and if I could. I don't agree with the deadlift part as I can easily pull sumo with the belt on and my lifting mechanics don't change
i deadlift (traditional) fine in it cuz your ass is still in the air which opens up the hips. the bottom of a clean though you're really closed off which i could see being an issue with a thicker belt like that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's because the belt that you squat with shouldn't be the same belt that you deadlift or clean with.

T Nation | The Belt and the Deadlift
This is good information about not wearing the belt too low for the deadlift, but I find that as Rip touched on, Lilliebridge and KK's high belt position is best for my deadlift. I can pull more without a belt than I can with a low belt, but I can pull 50-75lbs more with a high belt than I can with a low belt.

Granted, I haven't tried a slimmer belt, but I don't feel the need to spend another hundred bucks on a belt when I've circumvented the issue already.

13mm Inzer forever lever belt checking in. I went with 13mm as a newbie thinking more hardcore is more better, but in retrospect I feel 10mm single prong is the way to go for most lifters. More adjustable and 10mm is more than enough support for even the strongest raw squatters.

stespiel

stespiel

Awards
This is good information about not wearing the belt too low for the deadlift, but I find that as Rip touched on, Lilliebridge and KK's high belt position is best for my deadlift. I can pull more without a belt than I can with a low belt, but I can pull 50-75lbs more with a high belt than I can with a low belt.

Granted, I haven't tried a slimmer belt, but I don't feel the need to spend another hundred bucks on a belt when I've circumvented the issue already.

13mm Inzer forever lever belt checking in. I went with 13mm as a newbie thinking more hardcore is more better, but in retrospect I feel 10mm single prong is the way to go for most lifters. More adjustable and 10mm is more than enough support for even the strongest raw squatters.
Wow I haven't tried messing with the position of the belt. How high do you go on dl?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow I haven't tried messing with the position of the belt. How high do you go on dl?
I'm just under my ribs or even over the bottom ribs. It gives me a good target to breathe into and somehow gives me more oomph off of the floor. I have the front set and pull the back as low as I can. For squats I have the back as high as I can and I pull it under my gut. Here's an example of my belt for pulling:

http://instagram.com/p/vCpnJ6QmSZ/

If you look at Lilliebridge or Stan Efferding, they wear the belt really close to their pecs, even higher than I do.

adrian56

Awards
In my personal opinion I've tried various belts but my favorite by far is inzer belts. Yes, they are on the pricey side but are well worth it. Inzer belt all day!!!!!!

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
My inzer single prong has lasted me forever, great shape and very good customer service. It takes a couple weeks to get to you but its worth the wait. But breaking it in is another story