Partial deadlifts over traditional deadlifts

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Partial deadlifts over traditional deadlifts for strength?

I've been performing partial deadlifts(bar 1" from ground) and really like them over traditional deadlifts. With partial deadlifts, I feel that I do a better job keeping good form, over traditional deadlifts. I was wondering if I do partial deadlifts, as well as squats and front squats; is there any reason to do traditional deadlifts? My only goal for legs, atleast right now, is getting them stronger. I don't really care about increasing leg size, just increasing leg and back strength. I have 27" quads, but 16" arms. I should also note, that I do lift the bar up from the ground during the first rep and perform each additional rep lowing the bar just above the ground. I feel once the bar hits the ground I get a little offset and have to reposition myself.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I must be missing something. You mention that you are essentially doing rack pulls, but then say that you are starting from the ground. If you are not touching the weight to the ground with your reps, then you are doing romanian or straight leg deads. Any of these will emphasize lower back, hips, hams, and core. Pulling from the ground will help build hamstring strength.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I must be missing something. You mention that you are essentially doing rack pulls, but then say that you are starting from the ground. If you are not touching the weight to the ground with your reps, then you are doing romanian or straight leg deads. Any of these will emphasize lower back, hips, hams, and core. Pulling from the ground will help build hamstring strength.
What I essentially meant was, I don't start with the bar in a rack. The bar still starts on the floor, since I dont have room to deadlift in a rack. So, the first initial rep starts with the bar on the ground and each additional rep(2-3 reps) the bar doesn't touch the ground. So, its sort of like rack pulls, but not with the bar in the rack, if that makes sense.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I see what your saying. Your doing regular deadlifts but your stopping before the bar hits the ground?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I see what your saying. Your doing regular deadlifts but your stopping before the bar hits the ground?
Yes, about 1, maybe 2inches from the ground. Once the bar makes contact with the floor, I have trouble lifting the bar back up and I feel drained. Stopping short has helped me get more reps(2-4 rep range). I also feel like I can breath better doing it this way, even though I'm not resting the bar between reps.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, about 1, maybe 2inches from the ground. Once the bar makes contact with the floor, I have trouble lifting the bar back up and I feel drained. Stopping short has helped me get more reps(2-4 rep range). I also feel like I can breath better doing it this way, even though I'm not resting the bar between reps.
Well, it's because you're keeping that stretch reflex. Kind of like doing touch n go deadlifts or romanian deadlifts.

It's a DEADlift. It's dead weight. It's going to be tougher breaking the floor after resetting each rep. You're not going to get any stronger at breaking the weight off the floor by avoiding it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You really aren't getting the most out of your deadlifts that way because you are using so much energy on the eccentric portion of the lift. If you are having trouble with 'touch and go' for reps, try to set it down and reset to make multiple small sets similar to R/P.

You are better off doing a full deadlift and then adding in RDL or SLDL to help build up your glute, hips, back.

Edit- Sean beat me to it.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I keep hitting a plateua on deadlifts at 370. Would it be better to try sumo for a bit, or add in RDL?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
I keep hitting a plateua on deadlifts at 370. Would it be better to try sumo for a bit, or add in RDL?
depends on your weaklinks. a vid from various angles will help us know what to tell you. lifts above 80% would be best.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
depends on your weaklinks. a vid from various angles will help us know what to tell you. lifts above 80% would be best.
Sadly that is going to be hard, unless I can get my friend down here to record me. I don't have a camcorder, just a point and click with really terrible video quality and I don't have a place to put the camera. Just going off what I know, I think one of my weak links probably lies in my hamstrings. My hamstring are very prone to tightness. I do stretch them three times a week, but they're still pretty tight.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
You should be doing RDL's and Good mornings as well in your routine to help the hammies.
Also, try light weight, paused DLs from the floor to help with your issues at the bottom of the lift.
Then do block pulls to keep the top/******* portion of your lift strong.
Along with just practicing DLs and DL form, you need to pinpoint all phases of the lift, as well as the right accessory work to make gains.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you would like to improve your deadlift for one rep with maximum weight, you must practice one rep at a time. When I do a triple. I do one rep, step away from the bar, reset, do it all over again for the whole set.

Sometimes in the name of self improvement you must move away from what you are comfortable with. You could certainly improve your one rep max the way you are training, but I do not believe it is the optimal way.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rest pause training has helped me break through PRs like nothing else over the years.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
If you would like to improve your deadlift for one rep with maximum weight, you must practice one rep at a time. When I do a triple. I do one rep, step away from the bar, reset, do it all over again for the whole set.

Sometimes in the name of self improvement you must move away from what you are comfortable with. You could certainly improve your one rep max the way you are training, but I do not believe it is the optimal way.
Well my goal is probably less than most. I just want to be able to deadlift 410 for two reps. I was hoping to reach that mark before I end my cut in the next 3-4 months. I don't know how realistic that is though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well my goal is probably less than most. I just want to be able to deadlift 410 for two reps. I was hoping to reach that mark before I end my cut in the next 3-4 months. I don't know how realistic that is though.
Gaining strength while cutting is pretty damn difficult.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think it's doable. Sounds like a good tough goal.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Sorry guys, I meant my bulk, not my cut. I'm going on a cut in 3-4 months.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
haha... Gotcha!
Also, how did you come up with 410? It's not a bad #, just curious.
Simply because it's over 400. I just want to be able to deadlift over 400 for two complete reps.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm telling you, I really think R/P or DC training is right up your alley. Especially since you are adding in a bulk.