Getting too hard on yourself when you lift.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Ok everyone, something is really bothering me. No matter how well my sessions go lately I feel like Im not good enough. Im not strong enough. That's how I feel. I could break a PR but if I Don't get 20 reps and only 15 I feel like I may be underachieving.

Today for example was leg day. Instead of trying to lift the heaviest I can possibly lift with my legs, I took off a couple plates (one from each side) and made sure I got more reps with better form.

Am I Doing it right?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What you should do is find some stranger in the gym and identify his faults including his body shape, clothing, lifting form and technique, the weight he uses, his phone use and hair style. Identify all of his faults and shortcoming. Soon you'll feel so muh better about yourself that you be back to your old narcissistic egotistic prick self in no time.

You can do this - I believe in you!

Touey

Touey

Awards
Ok everyone, something is really bothering me. No matter how well my sessions go lately I feel like Im not good enough. Im not strong enough. That's how I feel. I could break a PR but if I Don't get 20 reps and only 15 I feel like I may be underachieving.

Today for example was leg day. Instead of trying to lift the heaviest I can possibly lift with my legs, I took off a couple plates (one from each side) and made sure I got more reps with better form.

Am I Doing it right?
I don't understand the question

usealittle

usealittle

Awards
  • Established
What you should do is find some stranger in the gym and identify his faults including his body shape, clothing, lifting form and technique, the weight he uses, his phone use and hair style. Identify all of his faults and shortcoming. Soon you'll feel so muh better about yourself that you be back to your old narcissistic egotistic prick self in no time.

You can do this - I believe in you!
I see what you did there....

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Am I Doing it right?
Are you saying that you cant lift heavy with good form?

Seems like a personal problem

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Are you saying that you cant lift heavy with good form?

Seems like a personal problem
Jizz, I am not saying that.

What I am admitting to is that I am choosing form over lifting my max weight.

Would I like to be able to lift my max weight 20 times in a row? Sure. But it won't happen like that so I go down a little bit to focus on better form and more reps when it comes to legs.

Is this a good decision?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Would I like to be able to lift my max weight 20 times in a row? Sure. But it won't happen like that so I go down a little bit to focus on better form and more reps when it comes to legs.

Is this a good decision?
If you can lift your max weight 20 times in a row, then its not your max weight. If I am lifting singles or doubles; form is prioritised, regardless of the weight I am moving. My idea of lifting is to move maximal weight in the safest possible manner. Some form breaks will happen but if these breaks happen where it may cause unsafe spinal, hip, shoulder or knee loading (or poor positioning) then I will end the lift.

Are you saying you prefer reps over higher intensity?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
If you can lift your max weight 20 times in a row, then its not your max weight. If I am lifting singles or doubles; form is prioritised, regardless of the weight I am moving. My idea of lifting is to move maximal weight in the safest possible manner. Some form breaks will happen but if these breaks happen where it may cause unsafe spinal, hip, shoulder or knee loading (or poor positioning) then I will end the lift.

Are you saying you prefer reps over higher intensity?
I can't lift my max weight 20 times in a row. Maybe twice at most. Its like max bench press, same thing. Once or twice when it comes to Max weight.

What I am telling you is that I have decided that form and higher reps with about 70 % of my max weight is good for legs. Am I wrong?

Also do you ever do reps and a half when you are working legs?

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh the humanity. We know by common logic and comprehension of the English language that you cannot lift your max weight 20 times.

Depends on your goals if lifting 70% for more reps is the "right thing". What are your goals?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I can't lift my max weight 20 times in a row. Maybe twice at most. Its like max bench press, same thing. Once or twice when it comes to Max weight.

What I am telling you is that I have decided that form and higher reps with about 70 % of my max weight is good for legs. Am I wrong?

I think your question should read "is a higher number of reps better for leg development?" - as your question seems to imply that a higher intensity lift is done with bad form. In which case I would say, not necessarily. ;)

No, never. I do 50 rep methods for power development but not for hypertrophy

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
C'mon, let the boy water your plants...

...for the love of God let the boy move in with you!

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I think your question should read "is a higher number of reps better for leg development?" - as your question seems to imply that a higher intensity lift is done with bad form. In which case I would say, not necessarily. ;)

No, never. I do 50 rep methods for power development but not for hypertrophy
Juan Morel advocate highe volume training. Your opinion as to why?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Oh the humanity. We know by common logic and comprehension of the English language that you cannot lift your max weight 20 times.

Depends on your goals if lifting 70% for more reps is the "right thing". What are your goals?
I want the biggest legs possible. I don't care about strength. If I could get massive legs only having to do 360 pounds on the verticle leg press I would be fine with that. I'm not doing this to break powerlifting records. I want size and more size.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards

Am I Doing it right?

No. Nothing you do is right.

Is this a good decision?

No. You're horrible at making decisions.

Yes. You are always wrong.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I just negged you. Why do you make me do this?!!!!!

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
LOL! What? didn't like my post?

Hi, you have received -56777 reputation points from QUADMONSTER.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Go **** yourself cocksucker

Regards,
QUADMONSTER

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wants size, but doesn't want to put in the effort to get stronger...makes perfect sense.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
LOL! What? didn't like my post?

Hi, you have received -56777 reputation points from QUADMONSTER.
Reputation was given for this post.

Comment:
Go **** yourself cocksucker

Regards,
QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
You guys don't understand this.

I am lifting heavy weight! But once I do, my main focus switches to more reps and form. Im giving myself a balanced workout for muscle growth.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys don't understand this. I am lifting heavy weight! But once I do, my main focus switches to more reps and form. Im giving myself a balanced workout for muscle growth.
You can't lift heavy at a Planet Fitness.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
You can't lift heavy at a Planet Fitness.

Of course you can't lift heavy at Planet Fitness when it comes to what you specialize in. That would be powerlifting, not bodybuilding.

Touey

Touey

Awards
op

try the physical fitness out of your home to get yourself sorted on confidence with going heavy

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Of course you can't lift heavy at Planet Fitness when it comes to what you specialize in. That would be powerlifting, not bodybuilding.
Because dudes with big thighs don't lift heavy at all, right?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Rodja Ive been lifting less than a year. Im sure a year from now I won't be going to Planet Fitness anymore. You have to understand that 75 pound dumbbells are plenty heavy for me with many exercises. I also belong to two other gyms where I get access to a squat rack and real bench press and so forth.

I can get a solid workout at PF when needed is what I am saying. Also like Dennis Wolf Said, Bodybuilding is not about how heavy you can lift. Muscle Contraction is the most important. Yes you need progressive overload but setting squat or bench press records is not necessary. There are plenty of bodybuilders who are bigger than you and I that never squat. Also I would like to say that there are many who have never squatted that I Know of who have big thighs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja Ive been lifting less than a year. Im sure a year from now I won't be going to Planet Fitness anymore. You have to understand that 75 pound dumbbells are plenty heavy for me with many exercises. I also belong to two other gyms where I get access to a squat rack and real bench press and so forth. I can get a solid workout at PF when needed is what I am saying. Also like Dennis Wolf Said, Bodybuilding is not about how heavy you can lift. Muscle Contraction is the most important. Yes you need progressive overload but setting squat or bench press records is not necessary. There are plenty of bodybuilders who are bigger than you and I that never squat. Also I would like to say that there are many who have never squatted that I Know of who have big thighs.
And what kind of weights is Wolf using when he trains? Not light are they.

Name ONE person who had massive thighs without never squatting.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
And what kind of weights is Wolf using when he trains? Not light are they.

Name ONE person who had massive thighs without never squatting.
Massive thighs is subjective. How ****ing big do you really need to get? You are in powerlifting, your sport isn't even based on image. So why do you even care how big your thighs are? You win on being the strongest. Not how big your muscles are! Maybe you should rethink your philosophy because I don't see you winning any worlds strongest man titles in the near future.

To compare the weights that Dennis Wolf uses compared to me who has only been lifting for a short amount of time is ridiculous. Your muscles do not know how heavy the weights are that you are using. They grow when you put them under a heavy amount of stress. For example when you squeeze the muscle and do it with a weight that is heavy enough for you, that is how they will grow. The harder you squeeze the muscle lifting the weight, the more stress it is put under as long as you are lifting enough weight where 6-8 reps in perfect form is hard for you to do.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Massive thighs is subjective. How ****ing big do you really need to get? You are in powerlifting, your sport isn't even based on image. So why do you even care how big your thighs are? You win on being the strongest. Not how big your muscles are! Maybe you should rethink your philosophy because I don't see you winning any worlds strongest man titles in the near future. To compare the weights that Dennis Wolf uses compared to me who has only been lifting for a short amount of time is ridiculous. Your muscles do not know how heavy the weights are that you are using. They grow when you put them under a heavy amount of stress. For example when you squeeze the muscle and do it with a weight that is heavy enough for you, that is how they will grow. The harder you squeeze the muscle lifting the weight, the more stress it is put under as long as you are lifting enough weight where 6-8 reps in perfect form is hard for you to do.
Don't have an example of one, do you? I don't care how big my thighs are, which are huge, but keeping them large helps to improve my leverages and, thus, my total.

BTW, powerlifting and strongman are two COMPLETELY different sports, so you should pay more attention before blabbing on and your overly simplistic approach to hypertrophy is laughable. There isn't a broad-brush when it comes to hypertrophy outside of continuing to get stronger, especially for a newb like you. Stop making weak ass excuses, get under a bar, and start squatting more than 225.

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Massive thighs is subjective. How ****ing big do you really need to get? You are in powerlifting, your sport isn't even based on image. So why do you even care how big your thighs are? You win on being the strongest. Not how big your muscles are! Maybe you should rethink your philosophy because I don't see you winning any worlds strongest man titles in the near future.

To compare the weights that Dennis Wolf uses compared to me who has only been lifting for a short amount of time is ridiculous. Your muscles do not know how heavy the weights are that you are using. They grow when you put them under a heavy amount of stress. For example when you squeeze the muscle and do it with a weight that is heavy enough for you, that is how they will grow. The harder you squeeze the muscle lifting the weight, the more stress it is put under as long as you are lifting enough weight where 6-8 reps in perfect form is hard for you to do.
Why did you start this thread? You seem to already know the answer to your question.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I do know the ****in answer! I just want justification to my own thoughts.

Its like when a person tells me "Man you have some big arms lately."

And then 2 minutes later after looking in the mirror, I ask them..... "Do I have big arms?"

Then they give me a weird look.

Like today at the gym. Guy was doing curls. He was a big dude but not real big. But you could tell he was a seasoned lifter. So I went over to him after I saw him looking at my arms out of the corner of my eye, and I asked him if I was doing curls the right way. I said "can you check my form?"

He then said "What the **** are you asking me for? You know what you are doing obviously."

I said "Really? You sure about that?"

He then looked at me like I was nuts or something.

Touey

Touey

Awards
don't worry so much about what others think, maybe take some time away from the gym, take in a book or two

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ADHD, ADD, Bi-Polar and schizophrenic all in one thread.

You're a legend in your own mind.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I do know the ****in answer! I just want justification to my own thoughts.

Its like when a person tells me "Man you have some big arms lately."

And then 2 minutes later after looking in the mirror, I ask them..... "Do I have big arms?"

Then they give me a weird look.

Like today at the gym. Guy was doing curls. He was a big dude but not real big. But you could tell he was a seasoned lifter. So I went over to him after I saw him looking at my arms out of the corner of my eye, and I asked him if I was doing curls the right way. I said "can you check my form?"

He then said "What the **** are you asking me for? You know what you are doing obviously."

I said "Really? You sure about that?"

He then looked at me like I was nuts or something.
Form check on bicep curls? Seems like a bragging opportunity

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
Form check on bicep curls? Seems like a bragging opportunity
He wanted him to put his hand on his bicep to make sure he was "contracting" and "squeezing" his muscle enough.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Im a perfectionist. Sorry that's just how I am. If I think there may be a 1 % chance of me not doing something right, I ask a person for a tip. What do I have to lose? Better than ignoring and doing it wrong right?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im a perfectionist. Sorry that's just how I am. If I think there may be a 1 % chance of me not doing something right, I ask a person for a tip. What do I have to lose? Better than ignoring and doing it wrong right?
Why don't you worry this much about your squat form?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Rodja I do. I do this with everything.

Today was back and bi day so I didn't do squats. I could have lied about what I did today but I chose not to. I am a man of integrity.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Rodja I do. I do this with everything. Today was back and bi day so I didn't do squats. I could have lied about what I did today but I chose not to. I am a man of integrity.
Right....that's why you've made threads for form check...because you're soooo concerned about your technique.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Even arnold cheated on curls at times, so..

Touey

Touey

Awards
Im a perfectionist. Sorry that's just how I am. If I think there may be a 1 % chance of me not doing something right I make a thread. What do I have to lose? Better than ignoring and doing it wrong right?
No harm in asking questions