Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Any lifters here ever had knee replacement surgery ? Dr. wants me to get it, on one hand I can't squat for crap right now and I would hope it would allow me to go heavy again. ? NurseGray any Ideas ???

smike

Awards
I have no idea and i don't know anyone that has had it.
My mother had hip replacement 10 years ago and now she had to do it again.

Just make sure that it will be something that lasts for many years.

Good luck and i hope you get over this fast.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Most individuals that I have been in contact with that have had a Total Knee replacement have lost most of their mobility. I don't think you would be able to squat very effectively at all after having it replaced. Im sure you are already using joint supplementation. Is it giving you that much of a fit?

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Any lifters here ever had knee replacement surgery ? Dr. wants me to get it, on one hand I can't squat for crap right now and I would hope it would allow me to go heavy again. ? NurseGray any Ideas ???
Tbh knee replacements are pretty restricting, most times even rec jogging can be tough. In your particular situation it may help if your having lots of pain

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've been following Brandon Lily's recovery. Its pretty incredible. You should check him out and there may be some stuff your looking for. He had knee surgery on both knees I think.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been following Brandon Lily's recovery. Its pretty incredible. You should check him out and there may be some stuff your looking for. He had knee surgery on both knees I think.
Bit different as his was from acute trauma. That being said, Ed Coan had a knee replacement and just hit a 661 squat this weekend at 51.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have a lot of pain and when I squat,(or even walk) my left leg does 75% of the work, my right knee is twice the size of my left, however my left quad is 2" bigger than my right.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I have a lot of pain and when I squat,(or even walk) my left leg does 75% of the work, my right knee is twice the size of my left, however my left quad is 2" bigger than my right.
What sups are you taking for joint support? I know that nasty mass can dry out joint something fierce. Any PH can

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The Nasty Mass does not seam to effect it much, ARA on the other hand makes it Terrible. The only thing I am taking right now is glucosamine and chondroitin. I don't think supplements will help much it is Bone on Bone !

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
The Nasty Mass does not seam to effect it much, ARA on the other hand makes it Terrible. The only thing I am taking right now is glucosamine and chondroitin. I don't think supplements will help much it is Bone on Bone !
I understand age is a factor. Just most people I see in my career that have knee replacements loose a lot of mobility. I would count out most of the squatting afterward.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am waiting on a call from an sports orthopedic surgeon, to set up an appointment to discuss my options

Beltzie5

Beltzie5

Awards
  • Established
Rocket3015 feel for you bro. at 45 my right knee locked up couldn't move it at all they wanted to replace it but I held out Orthopidic surgen went ina done a Micro Fracture repair. Drills into the Bone Marrow and allows it to drain into joint to form a cushion. Came out from under and knee felt 100% better right away. Only drawback was 8 weeks on crutchs and no weight on knee so it would heal right. Best thing I ever done. Doesn't effect my squatting at all but the plates and pins in ankle play hell with squats. Might check into it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Rocket3015 feel for you bro. at 45 my right knee locked up couldn't move it at all they wanted to replace it but I held out Orthopidic surgen went ina done a Micro Fracture repair. Drills into the Bone Marrow and allows it to drain into joint to form a cushion. Came out from under and knee felt 100% better right away. Only drawback was 8 weeks on crutchs and no weight on knee so it would heal right. Best thing I ever done. Doesn't effect my squatting at all but the plates and pins in ankle play hell with squats. Might check into it.
Thank you! I was told I need a replace several years ago, by like you I keep putting it off. Thank you for the alternative idea!!

Beltzie5

Beltzie5

Awards
  • Established
Thank you! I was told I need a replace several years ago, by like you I keep putting it off. Thank you for the alternative idea!!
Anything to help a guy out. Don't replace if you don't need to. If a surgery can help do that route. Squats are important but in the long run there are other ways to build legs look into this. Thats what I did ankle won't allow it so chose other options. to build my legs not as fast as squats but if it works thats all that matters.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I went to the Orthopedic Surgeon and we decided to do nothing, I got a shot of cortisone and we are just going to wait.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Had some discomfort yesterday afternoon and evening from the injection...Today it feels 95% better than it has in years. I am anxious to see how long it last.

Beltzie5

Beltzie5

Awards
  • Established
Gonna go out on a limb here and say 3 weeks to a month and a half thats about how long mine lasted the first one had the shortest time lasting on me

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Had some discomfort yesterday afternoon and evening from the injection...Today it feels 95% better than it has in years. I am anxious to see how long it last.
Good thing is u can just keep blasting shots normally u would be limited to 2 to 3 due to tissue degrading but ur heading towards a replacement so the rule doesn't apply to u