Can lifting too much be counterproductive for hypertrophy?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Ok I was thinking about this yesterday.

They say that if you do too much cardio, that can be counterproductive to hypertrophy. So say a guy lifts too much. Can this have the same effect as too much cardio?

It makes sense to me. When you lift you are increasing your heart rate. The longer periods of time you increase your heart rate, the more calories you burn. Therefore if a person is lifting for long periods of time, that can make it harder for them to build muscle? This plays a huge role in why rest days are important.

Correct?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
More like you can only grow as much as you can recover from. It depends on your current level of work capacity and how well you're taking care of sleep, nutrition, and active recovery techniques. The Bulgarian weightlifting team and Westside barbell train upwards of ten times a week and they're not hurting for size. But they've built up to it over a period of years.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Definitely such a thing as lifting too much

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Longer and harder you train the more time you need to recover as well

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ok I was thinking about this yesterday.

They say that if you do too much cardio, that can be counterproductive to hypertrophy. So say a guy lifts too much. Can this have the same effect as too much cardio?

It makes sense to me. When you lift you are increasing your heart rate. The longer periods of time you increase your heart rate, the more calories you burn. Therefore if a person is lifting for long periods of time, that can make it harder for them to build muscle? This plays a huge role in why rest days are important.

Correct?
A fastet heart rate does not imply more calories burnt per se. If someone has a resting heart rate of 100 vs someone with a resting heart rate of 40, that just implies a less efficient heart.

The question is too vague to answer as many components come into play

O73190

Awards
Although rest is important, you'd be surprised how much your body can actually handle in terms of volume.
The key here becomes recovery. You might find yourself needing to up your protein intake and sleep more. Otherwise, don't fall into the hype of not training too much.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lifting too much is all in your head. Lift whenever you want just eat right and listen to your body. If your sore rest if not train harder.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
If your diet and supplementation is on point rest is over rated unless you feel run into the ground and beat up
Rest is more important if you are peaking for something specific

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Depends proper nutrition has been said and rest like sleep is important. There is a difference between overtraining and overreaching I'd like to believe