Is bench press beneficial when your arms are gassed?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Say your arms are gassed. You know the feeling where they feel like spaghetti. You feel like working triceps with narrow grip bench presses later on in your workout.

Is this a good thing to do or not a good thing?

smike

Awards
Of course its a good thing.
Just make sure you use real heavy weight and bring the bar to your throat for a full ROM.
Come back later and tell us how it went.

reps4jesus

reps4jesus

Awards
Its fine.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I feel like I'm not working my triceps ever enough, but they still seem to grow. Just do what feels right and eat.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Just had two cupcakes. Customer brought homemade ones for us and since Im bulking I said I am going to enjoy them. I am eating like crazy! Only gaining 3/4 a pound per week.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Depends what you're training for. If for moving maximal weight then no, I would highly suggest not doing this. If tis for less weight but putting slightly more emphasis on the chest and anterior deltoid then yeah, I suppose it could work. Bear in mind that the triceps are a large part of the Bench Press and eliminating them will place you at a mechanical disadvantage in the latter stages of the movement.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Will doing close grip bench press with narrow grip still promote hypertrophy for triceps, even though your arms feel like spaghetti? Which forces you then to lift lower weight.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not do them earlier in the session when you could use more weight for more reps with less risk of injury?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
You are right. I normally do but the other day I wasn't going to include them in my routine but at the end of my workout since my adrenaline was sky high I said lets include them.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Will doing close grip bench press with narrow grip still promote hypertrophy for triceps, even though your arms feel like spaghetti? Which forces you then to lift lower weight.
Well a CG BP implies narrow grip but anyway, what does the rest of your routine look like?