Too much cardio...?

jcyepez

Awards
New guy to the forum. 1st post.
Always had active lifestyle and continue to push.
Just want to hear individuals thoughts as i only hang out at Home and work and coworkers are all inactive and wife isnt as enthusiastic with Workout routines.
Attempting to increase strenght and speed.

3.2 miles under 25min
5min cool down
Squats- pyramid
60%~ 20 reps
70%~10-15 reps
80%~ 4-8 reps
Then do It all over again starting from the 80%.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Great community, great info.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
What are you trying to do? Just stay in shape, lose weight, build muscle?
And your question is, is this too much cardio?

jcyepez

Awards
Just trying to increase my speed and strenght, so build some muscle i would say. I have increased my caloric intake. Some guys have said to cut down on the cardio but i would like to retain my cardio and make changes elsewhere in order to meet my goal.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What are you trying to do? Just stay in shape, lose weight, build muscle?
And your question is, is this too much cardio?
Cut out cardio on leg days. Speed and strength will come from stronger legs. HIIT or sprints on upper body days.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, if you are simply trying to increase speed with a 5k+, you need to run more. If you were trying to increase sprint speed, I'd recommend more explosive work and HIIT. You only mention squats, so what other strength work are you doing?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From someone who used to run 1.5-3 miles a day pre workout - distance running is a waste and detrimental to ANY goal EXCEPT the goal of being able to distance run lol. It will not support muscle building, strength gains, or fat loss. It will simply train type 2 muscle fibers and your cardiovascular system. If u Wana run a 5k once a week... I suppose you could. But if you want strength, speed, and a lean physique- cut out the distance cardio. Stick to nothing more than a half mile run then start busting out sprint intervals (post lift). Use the bike for intervals as well and ramp up the resistance. Your legs will become leaner, harder, stronger. Your lifts will not suffer from depleting glycogen with a long pre lift run.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is a bunch of baloney. Running a few miles is in no way detrimental to strength training and a 5k is just that, a few miles. He can absolutely build strength and mass while keeping short mileage in his routine. I don't get where or why this whole idea that cardio is bad when you are building muscle, but it needs to go away. We aren't talking about training for a marathon.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is a bunch of baloney. Running a few miles is in no way detrimental to strength training and a 5k is just that, a few miles. He can absolutely build strength and mass while keeping short mileage in his routine. I don't get where or why this whole idea that cardio is bad when you are building muscle, but it needs to go away. We aren't talking about training for a marathon.
U mean bologna? Lol. I'm just speaking from a personal standpoint- when i stopped running several miles a day, my body composition improved DRAMATICALLY, I got stronger, and have improved my sprint (speed and endurance) capacity. For OP's purposes of strength and speed as he stated, it seems contradictory to do so much distance running. S'all :) I definitely respect your opinion and viewpoints on a variety of topics on this forum and agree w many of them!

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
U mean bologna? Lol. I'm just speaking from a personal standpoint- when i stopped running several miles a day, my body composition improved DRAMATICALLY, I got stronger, and have improved my sprint (speed and endurance) capacity. For OP's purposes of strength and speed as he stated, it seems contradictory to do so much distance running. S'all :) I definitely respect your opinion and viewpoints on a variety of topics on this forum and agree w many of them!
Yes yes yes, I experienced same thing!
I'm with u on this one!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No worries, man. :)

I meant nothing directly towards you, but this just seems to be common information passed around here and there is little basis behind it. I am not doubting you at all with your personal results.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
New guy to the forum. 1st post.
Always had active lifestyle and continue to push.
Just want to hear individuals thoughts as i only hang out at Home and work and coworkers are all inactive and wife isnt as enthusiastic with Workout routines.
Attempting to increase strenght and speed.

3.2 miles under 25min
5min cool down
Squats- pyramid
60%~ 20 reps
70%~10-15 reps
80%~ 4-8 reps
Then do It all over again starting from the 80%.
Any feedback is appreciated.
Great community, great info.
When you say too much cardio I honestly believe cardio is best for ones particular heart health. You want to be able to still keep up with your "cardio" but you want to build muscle and get stronger, its doable but your training plan has to be be well thought out and your Nutrition will require dedication. Or else you run the risk of wasting time spinning your damn wheels for 2 weeks and wonder why no gains ave been made in any directions. I get that its a few miles but why would you run a few miles...right before a squatting session in which you have picked a Barbell activity. What else you you plan on doing for your legs? Any Unilateral work? How often do you incorporate jumps into your training? How many miles do you usually cover in the week?

When striving towards a goal be as specific as possible while still leaving room to wiggle around in. I hate cardio but dont have a choice but to do it. I love squatting more though.

jcyepez

Awards
Appreciate all responses! You guys sure provide enough info which in return provides me with the will to try them all.
So here's the plan,
Monday, all upper body, incline, decline, bench press, dumbbell biceps curls and dumbbell front and side raises
Tuesday & thursdays i always make my 8yr old run a mile, i will run with him and add weighted vest(or those damn ankle weights) in order to provide additonal resistance. Once home i will incorporate my squats mentioned above, burpees 30x3, leg curls 50%x15x2 70%x10x2 and 90%x5x2, and to finish split squats w/ 25lb disc at 20 dips each leg. ( or would deadlifts be a better option to finish?)
Wednsdays,uppper body with cable pulls wide grip set and then close grip set, include over head skull crushers
Fridays, no cardio, just resistance for both upper and lower body, concentraiting on core. Deadlifts set of 70%x12x3, dumbbell set of incline, decline, and bench press each 10-16x3, squats at 80%x16x3, and to finish again the dumbbell set to exhaust my upper body.
Saturday, nothing to look forward to besides my cheat meal in the form of a five guys burger!
Sunday, HIIT
I usually cover about 9-12 miles a week, it ain't much but it keeps me sane.
I will do this routine for 2 Weeks which then i will do my 3.2 miles and see and feel the difference.
Thanks for the all the replies and constructive discussions. I will attempt to post up during the next weeks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't think that routine is going to provide what you are looking for, but give it a shot. If you want some advice to help, I am sure a few of us have some ideas. As someone that incorporates cardio with a lot of strength training (I compete in muay thai, endurance events, and play rugby), I have it down pretty well.

Also, I would advise against the weighted vest. That will break you down pretty hard and is detrimental against building up strength.

BTW- good job having your 8yr run with you! My 6 yo daughter does her school running club and they do a mile 4 days a week before school.

jcyepez

Awards
Update* leaned out, loss bf, I did increase my time by an average of 50-55 sec but did not gained strength. I'm still at it but I am aware that my caloric intake is hindering any improvement. I DO eat, but I just can't seem to eat ENOUGH. I do love the rush of getting chewed up, smoked and at the end of it all I feel nice and fresh. LOL. Thanks guys. Just wanted to provide some closure to this thread as I have read plenty of threads with no closure... Hahaha.