Trainer at a gym I belong to has clients do quarter reps.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
So I was just wondering what is beneficial about doing quarter reps with very heavy weight?

One guy that trains at the gym I go to has his clients take 100 pound dumbells (Sometimes heavier) and do quarter reps while he spots them.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Grayson

Grayson

Awards
  • Established
Anabolicminds: the thinking man's forum.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you do 4x the weight for 1/4reps it's still the same... Amirite?

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would be a useful tactic (think rack deads or pin presses) those are essentially 1/4 rep - 1/2 rep movements... Useful if you are a highly trained athlete/BB looking for specific increases in strength / power... For a gym trainer to do this with people who NEED a gym trainer lol, seems kinda advanced and not appropriate.... But the method itself is a legitimate way to move past certain sticking points

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Yeah this guy is doing this with people who are in there 60's and have high bodyfat. I don't get it.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Dang! why? haha. Do you have to pay for all three?
Yes. Comes out to 70 bucks a month for all three.

I am a member at 3 gyms because I like having different places to choose from. Also they are located in different areas of where I am at different days of the week. For example I may be at home or I may be 50 miles away somewhere else. Plus lets be honest working out at the same place day in and day out gets stale.

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
I am by no means an expert.. yet.. JK never will be, but I am a CFT who works out of Snap Fitness in PA. And I have seen more sports minded trainers train weak spots with similar techniques. I believe the idea is to use different weights at different positions of the motion to increase strength at sticking points. This is again a higher level method than I know but in this case with 60 yr old clients, perhaps he is slowly trying to increase their ROM.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i don't know why a trainer would do it and it depends on what 1/4 of the motion they are doing....in bodybuilding circles it's for constant tension, keeping the muscle always under tension

jason huh and max charles use this training style a lot

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
They lay there and its like they go down about a 1/4 of an inch at the most and then go back up.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am by no means an expert.. yet.. JK never will be, but I am a CFT who works out of Snap Fitness in PA. And I have seen more sports minded trainers train weak spots with similar techniques. I believe the idea is to use different weights at different positions of the motion to increase strength at sticking points. This is again a higher level method than I know but in this case with 60 yr old clients, perhaps he is slowly trying to increase their ROM.
Working on my exercise science degree and NSCA certification right now and this is about the only logical reason I can think of to do this with an advanced age client. That being said if appropriate range of motion is something a client is not capable of and we are working towards it as a goal there is no way we would do it with a heavy weight. If you cannot use a light weight for a full range of motion using a heavy one is looking for trouble.

In reality what is most likely going on here is the trainer is Ego building with his client. The client sees these huge weights and thinks, "Dang, I'm getting strong what a great trainer." Either way this is poor personal training IMO.

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
Working on my exercise science degree and NSCA certification right now and this is about the only logical reason I can think of to do this with an advanced age client. That being said if appropriate range of motion is something a client is not capable of and we are working towards it as a goal there is no way we would do it with a heavy weight. If you cannot use a light weight for a full range of motion using a heavy one is looking for trouble.

In reality what is most likely going on here is the trainer is Ego building with his client. The client sees these huge weights and thinks, "Dang, I'm getting strong what a great trainer." Either way this is poor personal training IMO.
Great point, And I missed the 100lb db part. Nevermind what I said lol. I always take clients through a full rom if possible starting with low weight.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They lay there and its like they go down about a 1/4 of an inch at the most and then go back up.
If the client is locking out at the top of the movement we can toss the continuous tension idea out the window.

I learned a long time ago that watching "trainers" at the gym was a piss poor use of my time and only served to raise my cortisol levels. While it will come with it's own headaches I look forward to some regulation in the industry as there are those of us who are getting an actual education and will be qualified to effectively and SAFELY train clients. Too many people spend $100 and 35 minutes online and poof their a "certified personal trainer."

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Trainers a ****ing ego maniac so that explains it.

jayo84

jayo84

Awards
  • Established
If the client is locking out at the top of the movement we can toss the continuous tension idea out the window.

I learned a long time ago that watching "trainers" at the gym was a piss poor use of my time and only served to raise my cortisol levels. While it will come with it's own headaches I look forward to some regulation in the industry as there are those of us who are getting an actual education and will be qualified to effectively and SAFELY train clients. Too many people spend $100 and 35 minutes online and poof their a "certified personal trainer."
I hear that! I am no college level trainer, but I am more on the weight loss side of the business. Through diet and exercise I learned how to lose a ton of weight. And started helping people do the same thing. Found I have a passion for it, so got my cert through ISSA, just because I wanted to learn more about the science behind what I lived, and that way I could help others better since the techniques I used for myself, may not be valid for other people. Snap doesnt get college level athletic clients very often, and when we do, we have a nasm certified trainer work with them.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am not a college trainer either and while will do some work with athletes in the future am actually far more interested in working with special populations. Athletes are pretty straightforward in the sense that you want bigger, faster or stronger or a combination there of. Special populations require, IMO, a greater amount of problem solving and critical thinking. You are also dealing with actual quality of life issues vs athletic performance. I have nothing but respect for those that work with athletes and want to do so on some level but not exclusively. Athletes are accommodating in the sense that for the most part they are willing to work and want to achieve where as the general public always presents the motivational challenge.