So I got a friend who only lifts heavy at the gym. Why?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I got a friend who only lifts heavy at the gym. He never really does high reps with lighter weight. We all know that in bodybuilding its not how heavy you can lift but its more important to focus on muscle contraction. This guy will just put the weight on as heavy as he can go and try to lift it as many times as possible.

Is his main goal gains in strength or what? I think me and him have different goals.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

I have asked him for advice and he says "Always lift Heavy and do low reps."

But I know that won't really do much from a bodybuilding standpoint if you only go heavy all the time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
image-3350030608.jpg

Tell me more about this heavy all the time not working...

The shocking thing to me is that you have a friend.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Eat right and the gains will come..

zcol94

zcol94

Awards
  • Established
To a certain point lifting heavy will yield results, all the volume in the world won't do much without a strength base

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
Dorian was a savage...

Mike M was a beast to..

Did he really only lift 1 day and then take countless days off for recovery? I read a book on him years ago and if I remember right, he'd wait quite a few days before hitting the gym again.. Also believed it took somewhere around 2 weeks to fully recover from 1 hard session..

Am I way off? Can't remember 100% tbh

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Listen guys you have to have a balance. Progressive overload is important and also lifting a little lighter at higher reps works well also. If you are using bad form and lifting too heavy that is not a good thing.

To just go in the gym and say Im going to ****in lift this **** as heavy as I can without proper form is ****ing stupid. For example, if you are using the wrong muscle groups due to lifting too heavy you won't get anywhere either when it comes to shaping the body. You will only increase your strength. Bodybuilding is not powerlifting. Maybe my friend doesn't really care about being a bodybuilder. Reason I am concerned is that if we both do not share the same goals then why even workout with one another? Why even waste my time? If he is going to perform exercises that will be beneficial to strength training while I want to do things that help me shape my body for bodybuilding.

Your thoughts?

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
I would say you guys can workout at certain times together. haha The real reason to go heavy for me is inorder to lift heavier weight for more reps, i need to get stronger by lifting heavy heavy weight for low reps if that makes since. So i'd workout with your friend when you need to increase your strength and then you should go back to higher reps with hopefully heavier weight than what you were doing before you started to train with your friend.

And it sounds like his goals are powerlifting and yours are bodybuilding if i had to guess.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Oh yeah Junior Arab? Well why does Dennis wolf say that Bodybuliding is not based on how heavy you can lift? Joe Tong says the same thing and that muscle contraction is the most important thing to focus on when it comes to bodybuilding.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Dorian was a savage...

Mike M was a beast to..

Did he really only lift 1 day and then take countless days off for recovery? I read a book on him years ago and if I remember right, he'd wait quite a few days before hitting the gym again.. Also believed it took somewhere around 2 weeks to fully recover from 1 hard session..

Am I way off? Can't remember 100% tbh
I thought i've heard dorian only doing like 1 warm up set and then 1 working set for each exercsie or something.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I would say you guys can workout at certain times together. haha The real reason to go heavy for me is inorder to lift heavier weight for more reps, i need to get stronger by lifting heavy heavy weight for low reps if that makes since. So i'd workout with your friend when you need to increase your strength and then you should go back to higher reps with hopefully heavier weight than what you were doing before you started to train with your friend.

And it sounds like his goals are powerlifting and yours are bodybuilding if i had to guess.
Thank you. I think he just wants to be the toughest guy on the block.

Me on the other hand I want to have women cream their panties when I walk in a room.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Oh yeah Junior Ab? Well why does Dennis wolf say that Bodybuliding is not based on how heavy you can lift? Joe Tong says the same thing and that muscle contraction is the most important thing to focus on when it comes to bodybuilding.
Those are certain people's personal opinion. How old are you?

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
Oh yeah Junior Arab? Well why does Dennis wolf say that Bodybuliding is not based on how heavy you can lift? Joe Tong says the same thing and that muscle contraction is the most important thing to focus on when it comes to bodybuilding.
LOL! Really? I just met Dennis a few weeks ago. Trust me when I say he doesn't actually believe that. Do you honestly believe everything you read online and in magazines? Poor child.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Listen Im just busting the guys balls. Lets slow down a little bit before we start accusing me of being a troll. Which I am not.

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
Thank you. I think he just wants to be the toughest guy on the block.

Me on the other hand I want to have women cream their panties when I walk in a room.
hahaha. Yea. I dont really care so much about the weight i want to look good as well. But to look good sometimes i really need to care about the weight to get bigger. But no problem.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
What I am saying is to lift heavy all the time may get you size and strength, but you won't really have that much definition. I want both so I have to do low reps with heavier weight and also high reps with lower weight. He just wants to lift heavy all the time.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
What I am saying is to lift heavy all the time may get you size and strength, but you won't really have that much definition. I want both so I have to do low reps with heavier weight and also high reps with lower weight. He just wants to lift heavy all the time.
Are you on estrogen pills? You're changing your story more times than most women I have met.

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
I thought i've heard dorian only doing like 1 warm up set and then 1 working set for each exercsie or something.
I read that about Dorian also..
I read he'd go in, warmup, pick up a working weight, crush it to the max and leave the gym.

I was referring to Mike M on the recovery time during sessions..

slayer01994

slayer01994

Awards
I read that about Dorian also..
I read he'd go in, warmup, pick up a working weight, crush it to the max and leave the gym.
I guess if you give it max effort on that working set then it would be good. I usually try to go to failure(max effort) on the last set of some exercises, so i guess you could say i only have one working set and acouple warm ups sets depending on the way you look at it.

koi1214

koi1214

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My thoughts?

You're a trolling idiot. :shrug:
X100

Listen Im just busting the guys balls. Lets slow down a little bit before we start accusing me of being a troll. Which I am not.
Look at all your troll threads you started.lol
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/general-chat/260180-why-does-quadmonster.html

Are you on estrogen pills? You're changing your story more times than most women I have met.
why even bother with this guy?

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
I guess if you give it max effort on that working set then it would be good. I usually try to go to failure(max effort) on the last set of some exercises, so i guess you could say i only have one working set and acouple warm ups sets depending on the way you look at it.
I hear you.. I love my volume, but if I'm putting in work, I could easily be gassed in 10-15 sets..

If your putting in 20-30 sets a session, you aren't working hard enough imo..

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
Unless your sessions are 2-3 hours lol

I guess it varies at what pace your using..

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
Cause I'm bored, and have another half hour to waste before my truck shows up with my inventory.
If that's really your forearm I'd hate to be your penis! Ha ha jk

Beasty ass arm brotha!

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
If that's really your forearm I'd hate to be your penis! Ha ha jk

Beasty ass arm brotha!
Lol. Thanks man. Yes, that is my forearm. Was from about a year ago when I dieted down for a photo shoot. I get a bit more vascular than that when I step on stage.

Goliath1

Goliath1

Banned
Awards
Lol. Thanks man. Yes, that is my forearm. Was from about a year ago when I dieted down for a photo shoot. I get a bit more vascular than that when I step on stage.
Nice brotha!! I gotta step my game up...

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Lifting heavy all the time is just dumb.

I compete in power lifting which is by definition a "heavy lifting" sport. Even we know and practice plenty of volume.

Know what you are working, why you are working it, and the benefits of heavy and light loads.

Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Who cares what you want? What you want and what this guy you're talking about wants have ZERO, I repeat, ZERO relation to each other. What does what YOU want have to do with him? That's the real question.

smike

Awards
I got a friend who only lifts heavy at the gym. He never really does high reps with lighter weight. We all know that in bodybuilding its not how heavy you can lift but its more important to focus on muscle contraction. This guy will just put the weight on as heavy as he can go and try to lift it as many times as possible. Is his main goal gains in strength or what? I think me and him have different goals. Your thoughts and opinions please. I have asked him for advice and he says "Always lift Heavy and do low reps." But I know that won't really do much from a bodybuilding standpoint if you only go heavy all the time.
He is YOUR friend. Ask him.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Ok ?? Wat the **** is wrong with you people ?? The guy asks a question and you start insulting each other? Why not just answer the question ,, anyway is your friend big?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Jaces he is short and stocky with a little belly. Not a big belly but he carries his weight in his mid section.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Jaces he is short and stocky with a little belly. Not a big belly but he carries his weight in his mid section.
So what can you learn from him? 1.his diet sucks ass and 2. That his program is based upon his ego ,, but if you also want to throw some weight around , try stronglifts but add a dropset at the end for weak parts and get a good diet but by no means take advic from your buddy , I did that and he dragged me down so do what works for you and enjoy training

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what can you learn from him? 1.his diet sucks ass and 2. That his program is based upon his ego ,, but if you also want to throw some weight around , try stronglifts but add a dropset at the end for weak parts and get a good diet but by no means take advic from your buddy , I did that and he dragged me down so do what works for you and enjoy training
Great logic here: no abs so his diet sucks and like to lift heavy so his program is based on ego.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No but you always comment on my posts? Its a bit sad and weird
You post erroneous information. That's why I respond to some of your posts. Don't flatter yourself and think I respond to each of your posts.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
I think QUADMONSTER and jaces is a bromance made in heaven.

jaces

jaces

Awards
You post erroneous information. That's why I respond to some of your posts. Don't flatter yourself and think I respond to each of your posts.
Haha you do?? You respond to 7/10,, and most of them shows signs of egoism

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Haha you do?? You respond to 7/10,, and most of them shows signs of egoism
All that means is that 70% of your "information" is wrong. You're 19...time to take a step back, read, and learn instead of posting so much nonsense and then trying to deflect with a massive red herring.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
He has no game plan when he goes to the gym. He just says "Lets lift heavy weights."

****er is notorious for working the same muscle groups everyday he goes in the gym. For example he will do arms 2 days in a row until he's sore enough where he doesn't want to lift the next day.

Typical **** for him is Bench, preacher curls, cable flyes, tricep push downs, some dumbbell raises for shoulders and then maybe some military press. He does not work legs that much and also does not ever work abs. He didn't even know what the **** static holds were. I asked him about muscle contraction and he looked at me with a confused face and said "I just lift heavy."

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He has no game plan when he goes to the gym. He just says "Lets lift heavy weights." ****er is notorious for working the same muscle groups everyday he goes in the gym. For example he will do arms 2 days in a row until he's sore enough where he doesn't want to lift the next day. Typical **** for him is Bench, preacher curls, cable flyes, tricep push downs, some dumbbell raises for shoulders and then maybe some military press. He does not work legs that much and also does not ever work abs. He didn't even know what the **** static holds were. I asked him about muscle contraction and he looked at me with a confused face and said "I just lift heavy."
Who cares?