what do we think of max-ot?

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
i've been doing a max-ot style prog for the last 3 weeks while trying the superdrol. works pretty good, weights increasing every week, but i worry about the 5 days straight a week. i mean i'm pressing doing tri's on tuesday & pressing doing shoulders on wednesday, seems like alot of overlap. i'm thinking it may be ok temporarily. if anything my joints are always aching due to the rapid increases in weights at 4-6 reps!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
love that type of training personally ... although i do a pretty modified version

try this split so you aren't in 5 days in a row
mon - chest / bis
tues - legs
wed - off
thurs - shoulder / tris
friday - back
sat and sun - off

Gethuge

Gethuge

Awards
  • Established
I like the methods behind MAX-OT. The volume proves to be too much for me if I continue it for any more than a couple of weeks at a time. But then everyone will likely need to modify the program in some way to optimize it for themselves.

milwood

milwood

Awards
  • Established
yeah, the principles involved are solid, but it seems to me to be a bit excessive in volume as well. Superdrol would probably be a good addition to max-OT training anyway.

riskarb

riskarb

Ron Paul... phuck yeah!
Awards
  • Established
love that type of training personally ... although i do a pretty modified version

mon - chest / bis
tues - legs
wed - off
thurs - shoulder / tris
friday - back
sat and sun - off

That's a good split, Glen -- max-ot is great on-cycle.

buffb2

buffb2

Awards
No pain No gain. I learned awhile ago that if i want strength that i am going to be sore and joints will ache

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
that split does seem alot more logical really. i was thinking 4 days was plenty too. i may take up that routine next week. i've gone from 191 on feb 13 to 211 this morning, unbelievable. i'm not that big of a guy considering i'm 6'4" & the weights have just kept going up every session. i don't mind the aches much but i can't help thinking my tendons, connective tissues etc. WILL break at some point. but what a ride!

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i've been doing a max-ot style prog for the last 3 weeks while trying the superdrol. works pretty good, weights increasing every week, but i worry about the 5 days straight a week. i mean i'm pressing doing tri's on tuesday & pressing doing shoulders on wednesday, seems like alot of overlap. i'm thinking it may be ok temporarily. if anything my joints are always aching due to the rapid increases in weights at 4-6 reps!
just mix it up bro avoid the overlap...my current max ot
mon-bi/tri
tue-legs
wed-chest/abs
thur-back/forearms
fri-shlds/traps/abs
sat/sum-off

I have been doing max OT on and off for a few years, and have found that 5 days in a row gets to me too...so what I do is some weeks i adjust my off days to wed/sun to break up the 5 days and I dont work out more than 3 days in a row..if i feel my body needs a extra day off, I take it....sometimes I drop to 4 days a week like Glen does...

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
No pain No gain. I learned awhile ago that if i want strength that i am going to be sore and joints will ache
thankfully this isnt true...

joints aching can be a sign of worse problems... like rotator cuff issues that I have...

buffb2

buffb2

Awards
thankfully this isnt true...

joints aching can be a sign of worse problems... like rotator cuff issues that I have...
Its totaly true. I wake up stiff (not my p3nis either) also. Some days worse then others. I know the difference between a torn or blown rotator cuff then mild aches and pains that come with powerlifting. Your not going to lift 4-5 days a week HEAVY and think your body isnt going to respond of course it is. You lift HEAVY you will be sore/ache. Deal with it.

Mrbobcat

Awards
I've just started using max-ot. I think I may like it, except for the fact that I think I started too heavy on tri. ext. and might have pulled something. Because of work and school, I divided up the program over 3 days with a day in between (like mon., wed., fri.)
This is my first post. Seems like an interesting forum, even though I've never used gear you can always learn something new...

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
yeah, the principles involved are solid, but it seems to me to be a bit excessive in volume as well. Superdrol would probably be a good addition to max-OT training anyway.
bump...

skoal

Awards
There's nothing wrong with going heavy ofr a while and then backing off and bumping up your reps and sets. Besides giving the body a chance to rest it also gives the mind a change too and keeps things fresh. In this regard, powerlifters probably have the right approach. You have to think big picture.

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It's what I use. I notice great results especially if i take frequent rest weeks. My current split is this:

Mon: Legs
Tue: Chest/Tris
Wed: Off
Thu: Back/Bis
Fri: Shoulders/Traps (not too much volume this day).

All heavy compound movements. I change them up and the order of the workouts every seperate workout period (seperated by a rest week).

Pretty basic stuff. Max OT is basically 4-6 high intensity rep range, low sets, and progressive resistance.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
im follwing a max-ot program

mon back and traps
tues shoulders and tris
wednes calves and uppper legs
thursday chest
friday arms

my training partner says legs before chest will effect your bench.he heard it from tank. a bigguy that comes to our gym.anyone?

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
I've been using MAX OT for almost two years now and I love it. I do need to take a week off every 8 to 10 weeks for R&R. I have gotten consistent gains and have never been stronger in my life. I do modify it and at times I only go to 5 reps before I move up in weight again. My routine is based on the following:

Mon: Chest..main exercise is BP
Tues: Legs..main are Squats and Leg Presses
Wed: Cardio
Thurs: Arms..main are CGBP and machine Curls
Frid: Back and Shoulders..main are Deadlifts, TB Rows and machine Sh. Presses (I have rotator cuff problems)
Sat: Cardio
Sun:Rest, Golf, Chase the Old Lady LOL

TheKashi

Awards
Ive been using Max-OT for 3 months and Ive put on 25 lbs so far. It will only be as good as your diet and your effort in the gym is. It keeps things pretty mixed up, with new routines every 4 weeks. Plus you only have to be in the gym for 30-45 minutes. Id definitly suggest it.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
my prob was max-ot is supposed to be all about 4-6rm loads. at loads i could not possibly squeeze out a 7th rep i was getting really close to injury. i will admit i was probablyusing toomany 4 rms with everything. i love lower reps, but my joints don't. anyhow, thanks for all the great thoughts

merllin_2000

Awards
Max-ot is the best i have found so far. I have gotten some much from the program in gains. I have sore muscle's but joint's feel fine.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established

mon - chest / bis
tues - legs
wed - off
thurs - shoulder / tris
friday - back
sat and sun - off
That is what I was doing and getting great results, xecept I was switching back day with shoulder/tris day.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I also do a modified version of max-ot.
The best part of it is that I learned to warmup the proper way and I learned why pyramiding (like many gym teachers told us about) is garbage.
max-ot is what I did when i began working out, I just didn't know it.
I've gained like 3-4 lbs so far from max-ot, and i feel and look better than ever.