Team Orbit -- bench press Q&A

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Everyone has bench questions, problems, and curiosities.
If you are looking to build a massive bench this is the thread for you.

Submit your:
Training questions
Technique questions
Programming questions

Videos are encouraged for any technique questions

Looking forward to helping anyone.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Welp I shall get a video going tomorrow just to get some more insight. Always helps to have another set of eyes, great thread idea!

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Welp I shall get a video going tomorrow just to get some more insight. Always helps to have another set of eyes, great thread idea!
Looking forward to the video
Remember to lemme know your goals !

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
This thread works for me!

Thoughts on rotating max effort lifts as a raw lifter and only doing traditional flat bench for volume and dynamic work?

Or do u see more value sticking with varying percentages of flat bench with accomodating resistance for max effort?

Thanks man

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What up KB! Have you ever strained a pec in training? And if so, how did you get back to your usual huge benching as quickly as you could?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
What up KB! Have you ever strained a pec in training? And if so, how did you get back to your usual huge benching as quickly as you could?
I have never sustained an injury as a result of benching so I can not give much advice here

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

Thoughts on rotating max effort lifts as a raw lifter and only doing traditional flat bench for volume and dynamic work?

Or do u see more value sticking with varying percentages of flat bench with accomodating resistance for max effort?

Thanks man
Lots of thoughts on this and it depends on your weaknesses
First on speed bench...
Speed bench in raw lifting is not the be all snd all, many get away with not doing it at all and just doing volume. However I do believe speed has a place.
Keep speed work if you are SLOW and force production is a problem. Only real way to measure this is find a gym with a Tendo machine, which measures bar speed. If you wanna be a big bencher you can not be strong and slow...
Volume is a must for raw benchers. You need to build that strength and muscle tissue and working for reps at high percentages of your Max is a sure way to do it.

I would recommend alternating your sub max day between speed and volume. So one week do speed next week do volume.
If you are very efficient and fast then do a a few weeks cycle of just volume and then throw speed back in for a week or two

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established

Thanks man
On max effort there is a lot of give and take depending on your coaches for use of accommodating resistance. My coaches are fans of chains and bands so we use them. But remember don't just use them to be fancy. They are tools with a purpose and that is to correct weaknesses.

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
Do you advocate flat benching every week? I've been doing 531 for the longest time. I know many guys that switch out their ME movement every week. Incline, floor press, narrow grip etc. I also heard mark bell talking about how you may get slower at a movement if you don't swap it out for a variation

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Do you advocate flat benching every week? I've been doing 531 for the longest time. I know many guys that switch out their ME movement every week. Incline, floor press, narrow grip etc. I also heard mark bell talking about how you may get slower at a movement if you don't swap it out for a variation
About the only ME flat bench variation I do is floor press which is still... Flat, minus the bench.
But I do variations of chains, bands, different bars, etc

Personally I prefer to keep grip variations and inclines as accessory work.

When I do max effort bench regardless of variation it's always competition grip

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cool thread k

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Currently wouldnt mind a touch and go above 430lbs and a pause rep of 405lbs. I think its doable but as most things sticking to a strict training regime is something I need to really buckle down on. I bench without any true arch and I am sure I could stand to drive more with my heels.

[video=youtube;5HuV7JROEsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HuV7JROEsM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;s5D0FXHOZxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5D0FXHOZxI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Todays max effort attempts, got up to 415 then some fool stepped in the way...Only at the Y, but tried 425 and failed. Been periodized on down to this max effort and was at 395 before starting. Ive put on 10lbs in the last 3 months and am still looking to push higher. What ya guys think?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Currently wouldnt mind a touch and go above 430lbs and a pause rep of 405lbs. I think its doable but as most things sticking to a strict training regime is something I need to really buckle down on. I bench without any true arch and I am sure I could stand to drive more with my heels.

[video=youtube;5HuV7JROEsM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HuV7JROEsM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;s5D0FXHOZxI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5D0FXHOZxI&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Todays max effort attempts, got up to 415 then some fool stepped in the way...Only at the Y, but tried 425 and failed. Been periodized on down to this max effort and was at 395 before starting. Ive put on 10lbs in the last 3 months and am still looking to push higher. What ya guys think?
Okay as you said, you know the problem with the arch and heels so fix the problems you know first:
Get under the bar and raise up under the bar and dig your traps and back into the bench... Feet up dig in and then put a foot down so it's behind you and then your next foot. Boom you have your arch. Watch my setup and in some of max effort lifts.

Next your hand placement. You have long arms so it's hard for me to gauge optimal placement but let's look at a raw bench like this.
Ever throw a punch ?
Look at the force you can generate with your elbows tucked and a vicious jab...
Try to generate that same force with your elbows flared out and arms out wide... Hah you can't. Period.

When you are a raw bencher you need to mimic that force production. Find your optimal hand placement based on the above point. Try a lighter weight and play with your hands a little closer in and find where you can generate the most force with a lighter weight, say 135lbs

I would say let's try the arch and feet behind you and play with that grip just a tad and throw in another video on a sub max weight and see how it looks

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Okay as you said, you know the problem with the arch and heels so fix the problems you know first:
Get under the bar and raise up under the bar and dig your traps and back into the bench... Feet up dig in and then put a foot down so it's behind you and then your next foot. Boom you have your arch. Watch my setup and in some of max effort lifts.

Next your hand placement. You have long arms so it's hard for me to gauge optimal placement but let's look at a raw bench like this.
Ever throw a punch ?
Look at the force you can generate with your elbows tucked and a vicious jab...
Try to generate that same force with your elbows flared out and arms out wide... Hah you can't. Period.

When you are a raw bencher you need to mimic that force production. Find your optimal hand placement based on the above point. Try a lighter weight and play with your hands a little closer in and find where you can generate the most force with a lighter weight, say 135lbs

I would say let's try the arch and feet behind you and play with that grip just a tad and throw in another video on a sub max weight and see how it looks
Thank for the insight and will get a new vid up soon! Lord how I hate my arms lol but if im able to keep working speed I think I will be ok. I currently use green and red bands for speed work. Still trying to get all this together its a journey.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank for the insight and will get a new vid up soon! Lord how I hate my arms lol but if im able to keep working speed I think I will be ok. I currently use green and red bands for speed work. Still trying to get all this together its a journey.
Don't be too mad! He's right, with your long arms and a closer grip, you'll build a powerful spring action from the bottom of the press. You'll just have to stay up on shoulder health with such deep internal rotation from your long arms.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Don't be too mad! He's right, with your long arms and a closer grip, you'll build a powerful spring action from the bottom of the press. You'll just have to stay up on shoulder health with such deep internal rotation from your long arms.
Very true and I'm not too mad, I'd rather have them to fill out than not. I do stay on top of my shoulder health with constant pt work

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
2 more questions KB:

1. Thoughts on overhead work? I know it helps me to focus on this but u dont seem to subscribe to that, experience talking there?

2. Looks like u focus more on tri work than rowing...do u see tricep strength more important than back work?

Thanks once again

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
2 more questions KB:

1. Thoughts on overhead work? I know it helps me to focus on this but u dont seem to subscribe to that, experience talking there?

2. Looks like u focus more on tri work than rowing...do u see tricep strength more important than back work?

Thanks once again
I will answer these in detail tomorrow :)

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
2 more questions KB:

Thanks once again
Overhead work/ pressing is VERY important in a big bench, especially in RAW lifting. Actually one of my biggest regrets this training cycle is not incorporating enough shoulder work. The problem to be careful of is to avoid over-doing the shoulder work. You don't want to beat your shoulders up every single week. I would recommend a heavy shoulder routine every other week. Light on speed / volume days.

No workout is more important than any other workout. It is all contingent.
If you have weak back and strong triceps then concentrate more on bringing up those lats and practice lowering the weight on those lats (this will be my focus next training cycle)
If you have strong lats and weak triceps then concentrate on those triceps

Where I am right now we thought it would be more beneficial for me to really blast my triceps and make sure I don't fail once I get that weight moving.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
[video=youtube_share;KwhxtgdyIT4]http://youtu.be/KwhxtgdyIT4[/video]

Heavy doubles. Almost got 470 for two. Could have been a little tighter and shoulder flared out way too much.

Very nice progress, really good confidence boost. Am definitely dialed in nicely for December 7th.

I am thinking to do
460 opener, 480, then depending on how 480 goes shoot for the 500.

bigguyn10ec

bigguyn10ec

Awards
  • Established
Interesting thread.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Anymore questions ?

fuseven

fuseven

Awards
Shrugs?

False/suicide grip thoughts?

Curls?

Done buggin ya, thanks for ur advice thus far kb

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Shrugs?

False/suicide grip thoughts?

Curls?

Done buggin ya, thanks for ur advice thus far kb
Shrugs eh depends on the person and their back. I personally don't do them

Curls yes. Your arms do have to support that weight why would anyone neglect those muscles. Curls for the girls yes... Curls for the bench, hmm I wouldn't say mandatory but definitely want to keep those arms strong to support that weight

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Bump for any further inquiries.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Core work for bench? My bench has been rough recently amongst my other lifts because I stopped with core work, I believe?

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Core work for bench? My bench has been rough recently amongst my other lifts because I stopped with core work, I believe?
I personally think core work is way more important with squats and deadlifts then bench.
Bench tends to emphasize the back, shoulders, triceps, and lats the most.

How has your back work been?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I personally think core work is way more important with squats and deadlifts then bench. Bench tends to emphasize the back, shoulders, triceps, and lats the most. How has your back work been?
I have hella trouble with exercises like lat pulldowns, if I don't brace my core I shake like a crack addict.

Deadlift has been lacking since a few months back when I missed a lift and messed up my arm. That took sometime to heal and couldn't do pull-ups or lat pulldowns with decent weight. My accessory work I limit to about 3 sets of 10 range. Face pulls, side laterals, dumbell row, lat pulldown.