Does "pump" contribute to muscle growth or performance?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This question was asked in a separate thread around a product that was recently released. Thought this was an appropriate forum to attempt to answer that question and possibly provide space for some discussion on the topic.

So, does "pump" contribute to muscle growth or performance?

More complex answer: Increased intracellular hydration causing the muscle fibers to swell, also known as"the pump", may possibly contribute towards hypertrophy via cell swelling -> regulation of cell function -> increased protein synthesis & decreased protein breakdown = protein accretion. Or in other words, cell swelling (pump) may promote hypertrophy by impacting net protein balance (synthesis & degradation) in muscle fibers (especially fast twitch due to more AQP4).

There are some other theories to such as hyperhydration having an effect on amino acid transport systems, increased pressure on the cell membrane via swelling initiates an intracellular signaling response via volume osmosensors within muscle fibers which initiate activation of anabolic protein-kinase transduction pathways, or that cellular swelling enhances hypertrophic adaptations via increased satellite cell activity.

Overall, the exact underlying mechanisms as to "how" achieving a pump in the gym benefits us has yet to be fully understand, anecdotally along with some scientific reasoning (hypotheses) it is a safe bet to assume it does contribute to gains.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great topic. In for discussion!

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I will go into this a little different and ask not how this happens buy why? The human body and life itself is infinitely complex. Everything happens for a reason. If the PUMP did not increase muscle growth or performance your body wouldn't cause this reaction to happen. One could say that it might be part of the inflammatory response. Your muscles swell to protect it from trauma and/or to heal the muscle. That being said muscle exertion causes muscle breakdown and The repair of that break down is what builds muscle. I would defiantly say that working toward this response would positively increase muscle growth.

On a side note I find it hard to not get a pump if your working your body sufficiently.

jaces

jaces

Awards
As far as I know the "pump" also stretches the fascia because of the increased blood in the muscle , the increased blood is also good to shuttle nutrients into the muscle cells ,, but I am not as informed on this so this is just basics

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice thread Very informative

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This has been a topic for debate for a good number of years and I've yet to see anything solid that supports the idea of a pump promoting hypertrophy. It may allow you to get an extra rep or two on a moderate-weight set, but is that really enough to induce hypertrophy? Not very likely. Also, while it may deliver more nutrients during training, we're looking at maybe a couple of hours of extra nutrients to a given muscle group(s), which, again, is not likely to induce anything for hypertrophy since that's a very short timeframe when we're talking recovery.

The thing that may have some merit, and should be investigated further, is the satellite cell activity from a pump.

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The key is in NO more than anything, we have recently found. This is why we formulated High Volume the way that we did. It's a pump product that goes beyond just a pump.

Nitric Oxide Unlocked – The Missing Link in Muscle Growth
For a long time, it’s been unclear whether or not “the pump” actually improves muscle growth. Recent research now suggests that nitric oxide (NO), one of the major compounds that produces pumps during exercise, is directly involved in building lean muscle [1-3]. Not only does nitric oxide improve bioenergetics in muscle so that you can move more weight for more reps [1], but it also directly creates new muscle tissue from stem cells [2,3]. So if we want to permanently enhance lean muscle size, it looks like we need to elevate NO.

1. Smith, L. W., J. D. Smith, and D. S. Criswell. "Involvement of Nitric Oxide Synthase in Skeletal Muscle Adaptation to Chronic Overload." Journal of Applied Physiology 92.5 (1985): 2005-011. Web.
2. Buono, Roberta, Chiara Vantaggiato, Viviana Pisa, Emanuele Azzoni, Maria Teresa Bassi, Silvia Brunelli, Clara Sciorati, and Emilio Clementi. "Nitric Oxide Sustains Long-Term Skeletal Muscle Regeneration by Regulating Fate of Satellite Cells Via Signaling Pathways Requiring Vangl2 and Cyclic GMP." Stem Cells 30.2 (2012): 197-209. Web.
3. Palma, Clara, and Emilio Clementi. "Nitric Oxide in Myogenesis and Therapeutic Muscle Repair." Molecular Neurobiology 46.3 (2012): 682-92. Web.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Ive got another question about NO,,does a NO booster cause total body vasodialation or local vasodialation?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Didn't Arnold believe that the best pump possible in the gym was something that should be taken very seriously? I think that says a lot considering he was the best bodybuilder of all time.

max d

Awards
  • Established
I still dont understand why so many people chase a pump and buy all these supps like a junky looking for their next fix. Eat, hit the gym, and kick ass why you are there and you will grow. If you happen to get a pump like your boyfriend Arnold (who got really creepy with the pump), then thats an added bonus that you can look Debo as you walk out the gym swollen to the max. Just my two cents but I think people need to simplify things and not get caught up on things outside of eating and lifting.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I still dont understand why so many people chase a pump and buy all these supps like a junky looking for their next fix. Eat, hit the gym, and kick ass why you are there and you will grow. If you happen to get a pump like your boyfriend Arnold (who got really creepy with the pump), then thats an added bonus that you can look Debo as you walk out the gym swollen to the max. Just my two cents but I think people need to simplify things and not get caught up on things outside of eating and lifting.
This is a dumb comment sir. How u going from a pump to food and kicking ass in the gym?

Eating and lifting is a given. That's obvious.

Pumps is like Cumming when having sex. Whats sex if you don't come? Exactly.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
You guys realize Arnold was joking when he said that don't you?
Not only was Arnold the best body builder. He was also the best bull****er

Dma378

Dma378

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a dumb comment sir. How u going from a pump to food and kicking ass in the gym?

Eating and lifting is a given. That's obvious.

Pumps is like Cumming when having sex. Whats sex if you don't come? Exactly.
Great response. There is also a mountain of science and methodology to building muscle and chasing gains. If it were as simple as eating and lifting, the world would all look like Arnold. But we don't. The science is specific and detailed, and every last method that can be followed that works, each make a fraction of the progress possible.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Haha yes but isnt that what made him a good competitor??
Oh for sure. You can't be a politician without being full of **** either

max d

Awards
  • Established
Soooo not true. No matter how much science or how many pumps you get your genetics or gear will never allow you to obtain the physique of Arnold. Everyone has to dream I guess.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought the pump was caused by many reps with lighter weight to inflate/engorge the muscle with blood. I notice a quick pump on light workout days with less weight and more speed and reps. Takes longer to achieve with heavy weight and low rep count.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If the PUMP did not increase muscle growth or performance your body wouldn't cause this reaction to happen
Not the case..

Blood flows through the arteries primarily via pump pressure from the heart. Once your blood goes through the capilaries, the pressure from the heart exerted on blood flow drops dramatically. For venous flow (back to the heart from the exit side of the capilaries) we rely on diaphragm contraction (from breathing), muscle contractions, and small cusps in the veins that prevent backflow.

The pump is basically a volume of blood being slowed down from exiting like it normally would. If something powerful like the heart pumped the blood back to the heart during venous blood flow, you wouldn't be able to keep the pump.

What I'm getting at is that blood enters the muscles faster than it can exit. This is all the pump is.

That being said, of course the pump is beneficial if only for the fact that it increases stability within the muscle tissue due to an increased volume being present. It's a matter of increased mechanical leverage.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
All I Know is my pumps are insane today. Im still pumped to the extreme two hours after my workout.

Black guy said to me 'What is your secret? Your arms look huge compared to when you first started coming in here during the Summer." He also complimented me on my shoulders. Which was nice!

My sister saw me and she said "Man slow down. You are starting to look like a bodybuilder."

I take that as a compliment.

max d

Awards
  • Established
Dom is the man!

On another note, here is Layne Norton's opinion on the pump:

MP: Do you believe that the muscle pump is the single best indication of a good workout or is actual fatigue the trigger to muscle growth?
LN:* There are many many MANY different factors that influence muscle growth and we still do not understand the process of the actual growth of muscle very well.* People who try to point to one thing like ‘the pump’ and say that it is the single most important thing for muscle growth… quite frankly they are idiots.* It is an integration of a multitude of different signals and inputs that causes muscle growth.* It’s a very complex process.*

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I like Layne, but I don't get down with how he likes to call names for theories. Not that I agree with it, but it doesn't make them idiots.

genthoseffect

genthoseffect

Awards
I think getting a pump in the muscles worked is far less important for muscle hypertrophy than things like load and time under tension. Blood flow is certainly important, and there is evidence that the pooling of blood within muscles that causes a build up of metabolites does trigger recovery and growth response...but it's definitely not as important as many make it out to be

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd say there is a mental play here as well as so many guys almost "need" that pump to feel like they are getting a good workout and this could increase the chances they would push through an extra rep or two.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A lot of times getting a pump for me is considered a great workout. If i get that pump and look good and feel good then i consider my goals achieved. Building muscle will come with proper nutrition and training and of course the pump. haha. So in a way yes the pump is building muscle in my opinion.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My thing about a pump has always been this:
If you can't get one, either your nutrition sucks or your technique sucks. Getting a pump is not difficult and using that as a sole means of gauging the efficacy of a session doesn't lead you towards progress. Overloading the muscle is what leads to progress and not extra bloodflow for an hour or two.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good timing of your post. Makes me look smarter. haha LeanEngineer

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All I Know is my pumps are insane today. Im still pumped to the extreme two hours after my workout.

Black guy said to me 'What is your secret? Your arms look huge compared to when you first started coming in here during the Summer." He also complimented me on my shoulders. Which was nice!

My sister saw me and she said "Man slow down. You are starting to look like a bodybuilder."

I take that as a compliment.

Too bad he didn't say "You look like a Quad Monster". Kinda strange that you had to mention it was a "Black guy" though....

jaces

jaces

Awards
For me the pump is just the bonus , you know like passing a test feels good but getting an A makes you feel like you have a 15'' penis ,,,

fame126

fame126

Awards
  • Established
the only pump i look for is the pump in my junk!!

max d

Awards
  • Established
I'm glad you guys all posted. Sometimes I read the responses on here and think I'm going crazy. With all the available research out there and access to it I wonder how the bro-science still gets by. If I want a good laugh I go to BB.com but here I get legit info usually.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I'm glad you guys all posted. Sometimes I read the responses on here and think I'm going crazy. With all the available research out there and access to it I wonder how the bro-science still gets by. If I want a good laugh I go to BB.com but here I get legit info usually.
Haha yeah bb.com haha ,,, but the thing here is most state the science behind the topic and then state their own exp. Wich is beter then going full nerd or gym guru