Can't feel my chest workouts, need some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawood21

Awards
Hello everyone I'm new to the forum. I have been training for some years now. I didn't get serious in the bodybuilding thing to january 2014. Just did my 1st natty show on oct11, 2014. Now I'm bulking up again. One of the main issues I always had is not being able to feel my chest workouts. No matter what I do , incline, decline, flat bench whatever nothing. I always feel it in my front delts. I have tried pence my scapula together and roll my shoulders back and down and still nothing. The only thing I feel my chest on as of recently is flies and pushups. Stuck need advice.

dawood21

Awards
Yes I have tried different variations using dumbell but still only feel my front delts working. I should post a pic for people to get a feel

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes I have tried different variations using dumbell but still only feel my front delts working. I should post a pic for people to get a feel
Ever tried pre exhaustion with flys first before pressing? Also, sometimes a lack of range of motion can keep from a full chest workout. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but just something to keep in mind.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Ever try using only one dumbell at a time? Put your other hand on your chest and physically feel how the muscle contracts and becomes harder under the weight

dawood21

Awards
yes i have tried prehausting, still for the most parts always feel it in my delts. i think my front delts are over developed they are taking 90% of th eload. wish i could post a pic buty i dont have 20 post.

Nickype

Awards
Do some mobility exercises for your shoulder. Work on you're form and get some one to check you're form.

PILL

Awards
On barbell bench where is the bar coming down? If you're pressing with your arms flared out and the bar over your shoulders then that is what you will be working. Depending on grip width the bar should be around the bottom of your pecs.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
On barbell bench where is the bar coming down? If you're pressing with your arms flared out and the bar over your shoulders then that is what you will be working. Depending on grip width the bar should be around the bottom of your pecs.
This is a quick fix that is very easy. You may even be able to lift more weight.

dawood21

Awards
Ok I will try this for sure. But if you tuck your elbows to close won't that be like triceps bench press?

superbeast668

superbeast668

Awards
Ever tried pre exhaustion with flys first before pressing? Also, sometimes a lack of range of motion can keep from a full chest workout. I'm not saying that's what you're doing, but just something to keep in mind.
Good thought, but why would you do a pec movement to pre exhaust to feel a bench press in the chest? If it's something you never feel do a heavy ass shoulder workout first. Take them out of the equation that way.

I know I'm no one special but that's what my brain tells me makes the most sense. Hopefully that helps a little.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Post a pic of you standing sideways and a pic of you straight ahead. If your posture and humeral position are messed up, it'll be difficult to contract an already shortened muscle.

dawood21

Awards
I cant post it because I don't have enough post . I can email it to you and then if you can post it in this thread that would help me tremendously. Really want to fix this issue , I been to doctors and everything and still no luck.

PILL

Awards
Ok I will try this for sure. But if you tuck your elbows to close won't that be like triceps bench press?[/QUO

You wouldn't tuck them that close. When I bench my elbows are halfway between being at my sides and being at a 90 degree angle with my torso. Not sure of the exactly correct angle, but that is what works for me.

Also, try twisting your wrists outwards like you're trying to bend the bar. It's a cue that can help activate your chest.

Another idea, try doing a light set of flys to get your chest activated and the muscles firing before bench.

jaces

jaces

Awards
We had a debate on this in another forum , but imo this will let you use your triceps more so if pec size is your goal flaring your arms is a good way to use more pec , but do not go below 8reps with this style , I good eg why this works is that you can feel the flyes working(because the arms are flared) ,,

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
We had a debate on this in another forum , but imo this will let you use your triceps more so if pec size is your goal flaring your arms is a good way to use more pec , but do not go below 8reps with this style , I good eg why this works is that you can feel the flyes working(because the arms are flared) ,,
Flaring is a good way to **** up your shoulders. Do NOT do this. A neutral elbow will not dramatically alter the muscular load, but will greatly reduce the internal rotation of the humerus and the anterior shoulder tilt. Flys and pressing have completely different biomechanical levers and ROM.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's a simple band exercise that can be very helpful for those having trouble activating their chest. Do about 15-20 reps before a set of chest work and you'll most likely notice your chest flexing/contracting better.

[video=youtube_share;ENcjNnwci4Q]http://youtu.be/ENcjNnwci4Q?list=PL2F8A4BD4061 76C34[/video]

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My training partner never really feels his chest when he does dumbbell flys. So i usually have to make sure i remind him to feel the stretch. and really in my opinion if your not feeling it your not doing it right haha

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My training partner never really feels his chest when he does dumbbell flys. So i usually have to make sure i remind him to feel the stretch. and really in my opinion if your not feeling it your not doing it right haha
in addition to that most drop the weight and the press it. It should be lowered as the eccentric portion of the movement is more likely to result in the hypertrophy we are looking for. Eccentric work requires humility as the weight is usually a lot less for those who bounce weight off their chest :D

Status
Not open for further replies.