Too much arm work?

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Anyone else find that they may have been training arms with TOO MUCH volume?

On arm day I use like...7 exercises for each bis and tris. Think I overdo it.

I have a buddy whose arms are much larger than mine and he does not even do direct arm work, just some ancillary work at the end of back and chest days. However, I am stronger than him on nearly every exercise. Nonetheless, my arms seem to be lagging in comparison.

Thoughts?

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
I often use five variations each for bis and tris with four sets each one so no

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I have seen countless threads on this exact subject and one thing always ends up being the common coincidence: Volume does not make arms grow. You answered your own concern with your comparison of your buddy. I am like your friend where I do chest/Tri back/bi with only a few exercises after my chest or back and my arms grow pretty well. Strength isn't everything when trying to build your body to meet a specific physique.

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
I have seen countless threads on this exact subject and one thing always ends up being the common coincidence: Volume does not make arms grow. You answered your own concern with your comparison of your buddy. I am like your friend where I do chest/Tri back/bi with only a few exercises after my chest or back and my arms grow pretty well. Strength isn't everything when trying to build your body to meet a specific physique.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Focus on the squeezing the muscles and time under tension more than how heavy you are going. Also eat some food. Pretty sure I read somewhere that 10lbs = 1inch

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
I eat lots of food lol. Growing is not my problem, nor is strength. It's just my arms in particular...which are by no means small (well over 18.5 with a pump flexed), but in comparison to how the rest of my body grows they seem to be lagging. Plus...doesn't everyone want cartoonishly large arms lol??

Focus on the squeezing the muscles and time under tension more than how heavy you are going. Also eat some food. Pretty sure I read somewhere that 10lbs = 1inch

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Well **** I'd like mine to be that size I wouldn't cry about 18inches haha how much you weigh OP?

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Lol.

I'm 5'8, about 208, 15% bf. Need to lean out for sure, but trying to put on some more size. I'm not fat or anything lol, just much softer around the mid section then when I'm all ripped up that's for sure.

Yourself?

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Lol, much smaller. Hovering at 163lbs 5'9, no idea on bf%. My ultimate goal is to be 180lbs at 10bf% as I want to compete in physique in a few years and possibly powerlifting.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
That's cool man. How are your lifts? You mentioned an interest in powerlifting...

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
My lifts are pretty good I believe for my size, except for my deadlift.. Deads kill me haha. Squat: 500, Deadlift: 400, Bench: 300.. I haven't maxed out for a while but I do feel much stronger on my bench and squat.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
I swear by deadlifts and barbell hack squats for arm size. And a gallon of milk a day haha

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
Pretty good numbers, especially for your weight man.

That's a lot of milk lol. I eat lots of whole foods, try to restrict my liquid meals to post workout shake and casein before bed.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Pretty good numbers, especially for your weight man. That's a lot of milk lol. I eat lots of whole foods, try to restrict my liquid meals to post workout shake and casein before bed.
Thanks, I swear by milk if you really need to put on weight. I was weighing 138 last summer and needed to put on some weight so whole milk + squats. I don't drink that much anymore, though and i do the same. Post workout shake or milk.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
500 squat 400 DL? Something sounds off about that.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And genetics is why your arms aren't as big as his

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
And genetics is why your arms aren't as big as his
Some love to go straight to this and I agree but only to a point. Genetics have only so much to do with development. How you train has a lot more to do with it. He said he's volume training while his friends are bigger who does not volume train.

Go to a gym and do nothing but upper body. Let's see if your genetics will magically grow you big legs.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Some love to go straight to this and I agree but only to a point. Genetics have only so much to do with development. How you train has a lot more to do with it. He said he's volume training while his friends are bigger who does not volume train.

Go to a gym and do nothing but upper body. Let's see if your genetics will magically grow you big legs.
Wish I could give you a ****ing beer and a firm handshake for saying this ,,. Ok so what I find to work for me is heavy db curls for low reps and 1 or 2 'pump' exercises with 12-15 reps thats it for bis ,, triceps I do dips and overhead db ext for heavy reps followed by a pump exercise like kickbacks or pushdowns and this works beter than a lot of volume ,,,, remember quality over quantity

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Wish I could give you a ****ing beer and a firm handshake for saying this ,,. Ok so what I find to work for me is heavy db curls for low reps and 1 or 2 'pump' exercises with 12-15 reps thats it for bis ,, triceps I do dips and overhead db ext for heavy reps followed by a pump exercise like kickbacks or pushdowns and this works beter than a lot of volume ,,,, remember quality over quantity
I do the same Tricep workout. Weighted Dips, heavy skullcrushers, tricep cable push downs, kickbacks w/ light weight for 15 reps. Arms have grown 1/2" in the last 6 months.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
The 100lb difference? I hear it happens because of body frame, like short arms/long arms and long torso/short torso

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
So, as I suspected, it sounds like I have been using too much volume for my arms. I will try less sets with heavier weights.

jaces

jaces

Awards
The 100lb difference? I hear it happens because of body frame, like short arms/long arms and long torso/short torso
Yes ,, tall lifters will most probably have a big deadlift ,good squat and a ****y bench

jaces

jaces

Awards
So, as I suspected, it sounds like I have been using too much volume for my arms. I will try less sets with heavier weights.
Yes ,, 2 exercises of heavy sets and 1 pump exercise wil be enough ,, a little momentum isnt a bad thing now and then

jaces

jaces

Awards
You could also try a periodization type aprouch of 2 weeks low volume heavy work and 1 high volume 'pump' work

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Gain weight and your arms will grow. If you do so much volume and it isn't working then change it up. Less volume and more food.

flexfit

flexfit

Awards
I think you missed the point of my post lol. I know how to gain weight...and I don't have small arms, I'm just saying I want them bigger and I feel like they don't respond as well as my larger muscle groups. Thanks though.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think you missed the point of my post lol. I know how to gain weight...and I don't have small arms, I'm just saying I want them bigger and I feel like they don't respond as well as my larger muscle groups. Thanks though.
Isn't that genetics then? Lol

I'm sure more people are going to tell you different exercises and variations of them to get bigger arms and you could try them all and I'm sure you have tried many different things already and you will end up the same. Orrr you could just say F the arms and just train for pure strength, gain more weight and see what happens.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Isn't that genetics then? Lol

I'm sure more people are going to tell you different exercises and variations of them to get bigger arms and you could try them all and I'm sure you have tried many different things already and you will end up the same. Orrr you could just say F the arms and just train for pure strength, gain more weight and see what happens.
Why pure strength??

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
why not train for strength?

if you get stronger you know your body has changed. IMO strength=gains.

you can only build up so much sarcoplasmic fluid in your muscles before you need to build real muscle. thats what alot of beginner bodybuilders dont get, they focus so much on curls and tricep extensions but they dont have a good bench, squat, or deadlift.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
all im saying is when in doubt train for strength

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Gain weight and your arms will grow. If you do so much volume and it isn't working then change it up. Less volume and more food.
Bro you're a moron. I try not to bash on AM but come on... You're advice is vague and irrelevant to the OP. He clearly knows how to eat with ~18.5" arms. Train for strength when in doubt? Dude, read more, post less.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Inject oil into your arms /thread. Lol. OP ever on anabolics or totally natty?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bro you're a moron. I try not to bash on AM but come on... You're advice is vague and irrelevant to the OP. He clearly knows how to eat with ~18.5" arms. Train for strength when in doubt? Dude, read more, post less.
Moron? Really? No one in this thread has presented anything but anecdotal reports, yourself included. Because someone has desired results means nothing regarding the physiological efficacy of the activity.

jaces

jaces

Awards
why not train for strength?

if you get stronger you know your body has changed. IMO strength=gains.

you can only build up so much sarcoplasmic fluid in your muscles before you need to build real muscle. thats what alot of beginner bodybuilders dont get, they focus so much on curls and tricep extensions but they dont have a good bench, squat, or deadlift.
You do now that strength is more of neurological adaption ?? Your body gets beter at doing a movement thus it can use activate more motor units to lift the weight

hooah47

hooah47

Awards
You do now that strength is more of neurological adaption ?? Your body gets beter at doing a movement thus it can use activate more motor units to lift the weight
This is true.. however, the greater the overload, the greater the growth on account of increased muscle fiber activation.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I agree with reducing your volume and I agree with training for strength. People put too much emphasis on strength vs. hypertrophy. You won't find anyone squatting 500 pounds with tiny legs. Sure, you can gain strength through neurological improvements, and you can gain muscle size without gaining strength. But you can only carry either side of that coin so far. You aren't going to build Arnold's biceps curling 75 pounds and you aren't going to be puny curling 200 pounds. Again, I will give variation - maybe one person curling 200 pounds will have a bigger arm than another curling 200 pounds....but both will have bigger arms then they did when they were curling 100 pounds. Anyone thinking differently is believing in magic.

Many threads on here have some of the biggest, most accomplished lifters revealing that after many years of training they no longer do any direct arm work. Pulling and pressing with big weight will give some great stimulus....

dbrock504

dbrock504

Awards
Moron? Really? No one in this thread has presented anything but anecdotal reports, yourself included. Because someone has desired results means nothing regarding the physiological efficacy of the activity.
Apparently you missed the point I was trying to make to the other fella. The guy made a handful of comments and none of them were truly helpful in any way. Of course my reply was anecdotal. I never acknowledged it as fact. In fact, I started my reply with something like, "one thing that seems to be a common coincidence amongst these exact arm threads here on AM is people going for volume and not much growth". He told a guy who has a pretty nice lat spread as his avi and says he has 18.5" arms to eat more... So again, irrelevant info to the OP. Even the OP acknowledged that comment as irrelevant as well.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
So true hit, I stopped all my direct arm work and my arms still grew perfectly fine..

jaces

jaces

Awards
This is true.. however, the greater the overload, the greater the growth on account of increased muscle fiber activation.
But wouldnt you agree that a "squeeze" aprouch is a beter option for the most muscle fiber activation??

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Apparently you missed the point I was trying to make to the other fella.
Clearly you missed my point. As soon as you start name calling your point is not worth listening to. Intelligent people don't communicate like that even when they have a great point to make. Get it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
But wouldnt you agree that a "squeeze" aprouch is a beter option for the most muscle fiber activation??
You're creating a false dichotomy there, but you're also ignoring the importance of overload and the role of the CNS. Improved neural drive is going to make you more efficient and harness more of your existing motor units. You can still have fantastic M-M connection even at lower reps

jaces

jaces

Awards
You're creating a false dichotomy there, but you're also ignoring the importance of overload and the role of the CNS. Improved neural drive is going to make you more efficient and harness more of your existing motor units. You can still have fantastic M-M connection even at lower reps
True but with pure strength training you arent/wont get benefits of lactic acid or increased blood flow and be honest most guys in the gym wont be able to focus on contraction in a heavy triple ? They would most probably just focus on getting it up

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Apparently you missed the point I was trying to make to the other fella. The guy made a handful of comments and none of them were truly helpful in any way. Of course my reply was anecdotal. I never acknowledged it as fact. In fact, I started my reply with something like, "one thing that seems to be a common coincidence amongst these exact arm threads here on AM is people going for volume and not much growth". He told a guy who has a pretty nice lat spread as his avi and says he has 18.5" arms to eat more... So again, irrelevant info to the OP. Even the OP acknowledged that comment as irrelevant as well.
You may be right on this...but you got a little carried away. It is a message board and the guy was just trying to help to the best of his ability. And, he wasn't "wrong"...it is good, basic advice. You are probably right that the OP probably has some of this in check.....on the other hand....

sometimes the things that seem so obvious they are stupid, are actually so obvious they are overlooked.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
True but with pure strength training you arent/wont get benefits of lactic acid or increased blood flow and be honest most guys in the gym wont be able to focus on contraction in a heavy triple ? They would most probably just focus on getting it up
Bad technique is going to ruin any set regardless of the rep range. What does lactic acid have to do with anything regarding this? Bloodflow is going to come with a M-M connection. Again, you're presuming that someone interested in pure strength only trains in low reps, which is 100% false.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Bad technique is going to ruin any set regardless of the rep range. What does lactic acid have to do with anything regarding this? Bloodflow is going to come with a M-M connection. Again, you're presuming that someone interested in pure strength only trains in low reps, which is 100% false.
Lactic acid causes muscle damage ,, and ofcoarse they train in reps lower than 10?? And they do the rep as fast as possible so they are missing out on TUT as well?

jaces

jaces

Awards
And I didnt say bad technique I said focusing on the muscle you want to work , wich with pure strength training is not a concern because you want to use every muscle in the chain to generate maximum power