When training partners ditch.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Just wanted to vent. Am I the only one that gets ditched on? Legit I have some buddies that "want" to be powerlifters but always skip out on me. I'm not saying I'm the strongest or know everything, but I'm the most experienced, so wouldn't you want to lift with someone who's experienced in what you want to do? It just bugs me that I always get ditched on, because I could use help when I lift in gear or knee wraps. It just bugs me, anyone else have this problem?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eh I've learned to do it solo, unfortunetly. Not everyone takes training as serious as others do.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Good training partners are hard to come by, most of my friends lift with me for a day and quit lol

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
I have one training parter that I lift with at 5:30 in the morning three days a week and he's reliable. I just want a good solid group, because it helps ALOT especially when in gear. When I'm in my squat suit I can't do much. It's hard to breathe lol.

stockpott

stockpott

Awards
Ugh seems like everybody has an excuse.... If ya lived near me we would lift....

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Solo here for me too. It's just too much work when you count on others

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I can't be tied to a schedule for lifting, so I go solo and always seem to run into guys I have lifted with in the gym anyway. I get the frustration, though. At least they could offer a reason so you understand why.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is a very frustrating issue, and hard to overcome. I too train alone, for the most part. I've never been able to find a great training partner. Either they are unreliable, or they are not as serious, etc. When I was in HS I had ONE partner for a few years that was great when we were in the gym, but he often had other things to do and would miss workouts. Other partners would show up but not have the intensity there.

I think, as others have said, everyone has their own goals, motivation levels, schedules, etc. You sound like a committed guy. First it is probably hard to find someone equally as committed - especially among friends who are friends for any reason other than you met them in a gym. Second, if someone works out with you, it probably isn't "fun". Think how hard it is for most people just to get into the routine of working out on the regular. I know it took me a good 4-5 years to finally find my motivation for it. And that's just doing it by myself. If I'm barely finding my motivation - partnering with someone who is committed and not "fun" may not get me too excited.

For instance, my gf sometimes tries to workout with me. I am intense, work hard, and get out. She has trouble pushing the way I do and it upsets her and winds up quitting.

Finding a good training partner can make a world of difference though. I don't think many people become elite on their own. They have partners, coaches, reliable people who help them improve and guide them objectively.

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Maybe we should make a site where people go to find serious training partners and has a rating system/review section for each member so people can say how reliable they are, if they are good, etc..

wray98

wray98

Awards
Finding a training partner is a pain. I'm guilty of being late sometimes myself due to traffic, sales calls or meetings so I prefer to train by myself. When I have had training partners I found them to be a bigger pain than worth the extra motivation they gave. I just have a couple guys that are always at the gym when I am and I ask them for a spot if need be.

stockpott

stockpott

Awards
Me myself n I are the best training partners

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I wish I still trained with mine but I had to give up training in the evenings because of having a little girl... I actually quite enjoy training myself because I can put more focus into each workout and get intense without criticism :)

Also no distractions. But nice to train with so won every so often.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am similar as the gym is about the only time in my day where I don't have to interact with anyone and can go into a zone. If I don't get that 45-60 min of mental alone time I would go nuts.

mgkoret

mgkoret

Awards
  • Established
Maybe we should make a site where people go to find serious training partners and has a rating system/review section for each member so people can say how reliable they are, if they are good, etc..
Like a no-homo match.com for lifters...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I am similar as the gym is about the only time in my day where I don't have to interact with anyone and can go into a zone. If I don't get that 45-60 min of mental alone time I would go nuts.
Same for me! I put my headphones on and I'm on a different planet. Haha