Shoulder issue might've came from "overloading"..

STEELCITY

Awards
I'm starting to believe that for a long time now I've done damage to my shoulder from doing too much chest. To the point that over the years my ball joint has came more to the front of the shoulder rather than balanced in between.

What kind of workouts can help get my balance back. I was at the gym last night and a few guys (that know what they're doing) were telling me that they've had it before in the past and this stuff creates soft tissue damage over the years. They advised to take it easy on the pushing movements and focus more on pulling until everything realigns itself. I did a few back and rear shoulder workouts yesterday and my shoulder did not bother me. When it came down to benching 35lb dumbells, both my shoulders were getting tired (my injured one was pushing through, just a little achy). I also was able to do 20 push-ups. One month ago I couldn't do one. (2 months ago I did 81 in 60 seconds)

Either way, any work out recommendations? (don't want to hear the "go to the doctor" line) :23:

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Doctor check up is best but I hate them as well. Are you using any cissus combined with glucosamine supplementation? What about rotator cuff exercises?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Work the hell out of your back to balance it out. Upper back, traps, mid back, lats, the whole thing. Hard, heavy, often.

I've always had issues with bad shoulders as well, especially when benching but over the last year I've made sure to pull twice as often and as much volume as i press and have never felt better.

amarula

Awards
Rotator cuff is very importante as well as heavy pulling, all kinds of rows and pull-ups.

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
Good advice already here that you should follow. I too have had the shoulder issues from benching too often ..... :( from what I have read and discovered to work myself is a 2:1 ratio of pulling : pushing movements incorporated into your training protocol. For some reason there has been way to much focus placed on benching in the broscience lab and that seems to have lead to a great many imbalances throughout. Like others said here already .... lay off the pushing movements for a while and focus on heavy pulls .... rows, rows, rows, deadlifts and deadlifts ;) And also work in some light weight rotator cuff exercises to strengthen those smaller muscles to help prevent future injury. Shoulder injuries take a long time to heal ..... I know it sucks

amarula

Awards
i had to stop all pressing movements for almost 2 months a while back but now I'm good. Now I never forget working the rotators

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established
i had to stop all pressing movements for almost 2 months a while back but now I'm good. Now I never forget working the rotators
Right in the middle of this situation at the moment myself. Its a hell of a mindfuk to NOT do any pressing work but just gotta keep telling myself its for a good reason .... much better than continuing the pressing work and causing more serious harm .... and therefor even more down time.

amarula

Awards
Right in the middle of this situation at the moment myself. Its a hell of a mindfuk to NOT do any pressing work but just gotta keep telling myself its for a good reason .... much better than continuing the pressing work and causing more serious harm .... and therefor even more down time.
I wish you get better fast

TKC432

TKC432

Awards
  • Established

STEELCITY

Awards
Doctor check up is best but I hate them as well. Are you using any cissus combined with glucosamine supplementation? What about rotator cuff exercises?
I ordered cissus and it should be coming this week. I do have glucosamine. I will take both for sure. Is cissus and glucosamine something that should always be used? or every now and then? and yes, I am doing rotator cuff exercises. I use resistance bands and recently purchase the "theraband flexbar" to do exercises with. (it looks like I'm swinging around a dildo) haha. My chiropractor recommended it to me.

Work the hell out of your back to balance it out. Upper back, traps, mid back, lats, the whole thing. Hard, heavy, often.I've always had issues with bad shoulders as well, especially when benching but over the last year I've made sure to pull twice as often and as much volume as i press and have never felt better.
I think this is the best thing to do as well. Just focus on back.

Good advice already here that you should follow. I too have had the shoulder issues from benching too often ..... :( from what I have read and discovered to work myself is a 2:1 ratio of pulling : pushing movements incorporated into your training protocol. For some reason there has been way to much focus placed on benching in the broscience lab and that seems to have lead to a great many imbalances throughout. Like others said here already .... lay off the pushing movements for a while and focus on heavy pulls .... rows, rows, rows, deadlifts and deadlifts ;) And also work in some light weight rotator cuff exercises to strengthen those smaller muscles to help prevent future injury. Shoulder injuries take a long time to heal ..... I know it sucks
Yea man. It's been 2 months almost for me. I've been sidelined and getting sloppy. The 2:1 sounds like a plan. Light weight rotator cuff exercises have been going on for a few weeks now. Makes me feel like a real b!tch when I'm using rubber bands to work out with.

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All good with this advice. Yes, I recommend taking cissus and glucosamine every day.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When does it end?
I'm 54 and learned about glucosamine supplements about 16 years ago after starting to have joint issues with practicing martial arts. Within months after starting glucosamine the joints felt great. Cissus is new but I've been adding it into my daily regiment for 2 years. Knock on wood, no issues at all.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Cissus and gluco every day. Might take a little while to see effects too so be patient.

STEELCITY

Awards
I'm 54 and learned about glucosamine supplements about 16 years ago after starting to have joint issues with practicing martial arts. Within months after starting glucosamine the joints felt great. Cissus is new but I've been adding it into my daily regiment for 2 years. Knock on wood, no issues at all.
That's good to hear. My chiropractor had told me about 2 years ago that when he was in chiropractic school, he had went to a seminar where there was another chiropractor who was promoting his book on arthritis. His philosophy was that if you always take glucosamine, you wont ever have to worry about arthritis.

Cissus and gluco every day. Might take a little while to see effects too so be patient.
I've taken glucosamine on and off for the last 7-8 years. Cissus I am going to take for the first time starting this week. Like I mentioned in another post of mine though, Irwin Naturals' Glucosamine for myself and my mother (she has osteoarthritis) is by far number one. You feel the difference within days and we only take half the recommended dosage for the bottle to last us a month. I've taken so many glucosamines and so many are just placebo to me. This one is no BS.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The glucosamine I'm using is sold by GLCDirect dot com. Cissus supplement is iForce Nutrition Joint Help.