Is Planet Fitness really all that bad from a gym layout?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
I was thinking today, is PF really that bad of a place?

Some are really big and nice to be honest with you.

It has many locations throughout the country so if you were a member and you were on the road, odds are there would be one close to the hotel you are staying. And we all know that it would be much more productive working out at PF than a hotels fitness center which has two treadmills and dumbbells that go up to 25 pounds.

PF has its place, especially if you are a bodybuilder and are in need of a gym when on the road.

Even if you were to workout at PF full time, you could find it beneficial if you were a bodybuilder. Powerlifter or strongman not as much if at all.

I may get flamed for this but I really dont' think PF is all that bad. I belong to other gyms now but I still find PF to be useful when I feel like going or need to use their gyms while on the road.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any place that doesn't have squat racks is a joke of a training facility.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Any place that doesn't have squat racks is a joke of a training facility.
Many bodybuilders have used the Smith to squat when needed. Just saying.

You do not have to squat to build massive legs either. That's a myth. Sure it works your quads the hardest but you can still build huge legs without squatting. If Im on the road and I have to choose between using a hotels fitness center and I hold a membership at PF , I am going to PF no questions asked. Its a no brainer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many bodybuilders have used the Smith to squat when needed. Just saying. You do not have to squat to build massive legs either. That's a myth. Sure it works your quads the hardest but you can still build huge legs without squatting. If Im on the road and I have to choose between using a hotels fitness center and I hold a membership at PF , I am going to PF no questions asked. Its a no brainer.
It's not a myth that squats stimulate the most muscle in the thighs and they're far safer than a Smith machine.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
It's not a myth that squats stimulate the most muscle in the thighs and they're far safer than a Smith machine.
I agree with you but you can still build massive legs without squatting. Plenty of guys never liked squatting due to whatever reason and have bigger legs than guys who do squat.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
The leg press is actually a tipped-over squat. The exact same joint motions occur in a leg press routine as in a barbell squatting routine: hip flexion and knee flexion. The difference that’s often cited by those who view leg presses as inferior to squats for building size, is that squatting engages the core (lower back and abs). But if your goal is supersizing your quads, you do not need to engage your core. You need to engage your quads! The leg press works for quadriceps hypertrophy. Recall the last time you saw a guy pushing tons of plates on the leg press equipment. And this doesn’t mean bringing the sled down only four inches and then pushing it back up. This is about someone who lowered the sled quite a bit, creating at least a 90-degree bend in the knees. And on the equipment was practically the gym’s entire supply of 45-pound plates. What kind of legs did this guy have? Yes, that’s right: They were huge! Oftentimes, these guys will do many sets on the leg press, and are hardly ever seen near the squat rack. As you get stronger on the leg press, your legs will get bigger. You force your legs to grow stronger by increasing the weight pushed over time. In order for muscles to accommodate increases in weight, they must get stronger, which means they must get bigger. Every single person who can leg press giant amounts of weight has impressive thighs. Don’t assume that their muscle development comes mostly from squats, because, as mentioned previously, sometimes these individuals are rarely seen performing heavy squats.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No...just stop. The leg press has a completely different biomechanical motion than a squat and does engage the PC. You can't compare a single joint movement to a multiple joint movement.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Listen, if you are on the road where would you rather workout? PF or a hotel fitness center?

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
I would never go to a PF in the states. That would be like going to a Curves or a Ladies Only Fitness. I source out an actual gym in whatever town/city I'm in and will gladly pay a $10+ drop in fee to work out how I desire to.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I do my cardio at Planet Fitness and enjoy it. Just FYI there are some big dudes at the Planet Fitness I go to. Just because it is not your cup of tea does not mean it's a bad place!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Why would any individual support PF anyway? Honestly save that money and buy your own pieces bit by bit. Id rather use sandbags than ever set foot in one. Seriously hate their entire concept.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just Remember 45lbs weights the same no matter where you train !!

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Rocket I agree with you on this. Lets put this in perspective ................

There are tons of guys out there who feel too proud of ever using PF. When in actuality there is plenty of equipment there to give them a beneficial workout. Lets take shoulders for example. We all know that reverse dumbbell flyes and upright dumbbell rows build monster shoulders. Do supersets of those two exercises back to back and you will destroy your shoulders in a good way. If you need more than 75 pound dumbbells then you are cheating your ass off more than likely.

Now strongman or powerlifters would not find PF very beneficial. That is a fact. But for bodybuilders it can be productive.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Standing OHP is foundation of shoulder training. How exactly do you do this at a PF?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
DP Press. Barbell Press, Machine Press, Smith Machine Press

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't understand if I pick up a barbell (while standing) and press it over my head.....what is that ???

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This will be my last response to this thread, I refuse to get in a Forum War

I Clean it and Press it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I guess it begs the question of why they would not have the most fundamental piece of weight training available to it's customers? Even our local rec has a squat rack.

To me it doesn't come down to what is the most beneficial for leg strength or mass, but that they would not offer paying customers a full experience.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This will be my last response to this thread, I refuse to get in a Forum War I Clean it and Press it.
The word proper must have slipped past you in there.
I guess it begs the question of why they would not have the most fundamental piece of weight training available to it's customers? Even our local rec has a squat rack. To me it doesn't come down to what is the most beneficial for leg strength or mass, but that they would not offer paying customers a full experience.
But the leg press is just as effective!! The entire business model of PF has undercut the rest of the industry. Most of America is fat and lazy and can't the see the value of a commodity like a gym. When they see the BS "value" of a PF, it sends the message that a gym is only worth $10/month. That's not even touching their hypocritical stand on judgement-free.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
This will be my last response to this thread, I refuse to get in a Forum War I Clean it and Press it.
You say you stand by Planet Fitness but having been to one, been hassled by management, and completely alienated not only sickens me it's done at "the managers" discretion nationwide. How can an individual label someone as intimidating and question their intensity when they have caused no true disturbance. Yes I have tried one, yes several of my friends were and have been booted, some for Linking on purpose yes but honestly by no means in a fashion to cause harm to the facility or its members. The framework is terrible and gives soft asses a "comfortable" place to sulk in nothingness. Actually in the policies and procedures at the one in Danville clean and presses weren't allowed and deemed dangerous. Like I said they are all not created equal but that's just the problem

Bottom line you said you do your cardio there...I'd rather run outside with piss falling from the sky. Just me though

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Are we talking about bodybuilding or powerlifting here? Because it is proven that you do not need a squat rack for bodybuilding. Squatting is a powerlifting move. There are plenty of bodybuilders who do not squat. It is proven fact! There are plenty of people who have built massive legs without squatting. Also like I said before if you need more than 75 pound dumbbells for bodybuilding something is wrong with your form. Unless you are a pro of course. Most people who are bodybuilding are not pro's so stop with the " 75 pounds is too light" bull****. Save it for someone who is naïve enough to think that you need more than that. You should know by now that bodybuilding is about building muscle, not how much you can ****in lift. If you lift too heavy and your form sucks, you might as well just take up fishing.

When I see guys like Juan Morel using less than 75 pounds on shoulder exercises with dumbbells, I know for a fact that you can get a solid workout at PF if needed.

I am highly amazed at how egotistical so many bodybuilders are. You got guys like Juan Morel using Smith Machines and so many people say "Oh PF is such a bad gym! They only have smith Machines!"

WTF?

P.S. Anyone with any common knowledge would know that foods like Pizza are beneficial to a bodybuilder, especially post workout when they are bulking. So why are so many bodybuilders against Planet Fitness Monday night pizza? That also blows my ****in mind.

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
Are we talking about bodybuilding or powerlifting here? Because it is proven that you do not need a squat rack for bodybuilding. Squatting is a powerlifting move. There are plenty of bodybuilders who do not squat. It is proven fact! There are plenty of people who have built massive legs without squatting. Also like I said before if you need more than 75 pound dumbbells for bodybuilding something is wrong with your form. Unless you are a pro of course. Most people who are bodybuilding are not pro's so stop with the " 75 pounds is too light" bull****. Save it for someone who is naïve enough to think that you need more than that.

When I see guys like Juan Morel using less than 75 pounds on shoulder exercises with dumbbells, I know for a fact that you can get a solid workout at PF if needed.

Also when I know for a fact that he uses the Smith Machine, I know that PF can provide a good workout.

I am highly amazed at how egotistical so many bodybuilders are. You got guys like Juan Morel using Smith Machines and so many people say "Oh PF is such a bad gym! They only have smith Machines!"

WTF?
I mean this in the absolute nicest way possible...... but are you really that much of an idiot?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
You can tell me with a straight face that you can perform reverse dumbbell flyes with more than 75 pounds in each arm? Please tell me you are not that much of an idiot?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are we talking about bodybuilding or powerlifting here? Because it is proven that you do not need a squat rack for bodybuilding. Squatting is a powerlifting move. There are plenty of bodybuilders who do not squat. It is proven fact! There are plenty of people who have built massive legs without squatting. Also like I said before if you need more than 75 pound dumbbells for bodybuilding something is wrong with your form. Unless you are a pro of course. Most people who are bodybuilding are not pro's so stop with the " 75 pounds is too light" bull****. Save it for someone who is naïve enough to think that you need more than that. When I see guys like Juan Morel using less than 75 pounds on shoulder exercises with dumbbells, I know for a fact that you can get a solid workout at PF if needed. Also when I know for a fact that he uses the Smith Machine, I know that PF can provide a good workout. I am highly amazed at how egotistical so many bodybuilders are. You got guys like Juan Morel using Smith Machines and so many people say "Oh PF is such a bad gym! They only have smith Machines!" WTF?
Dude, the guys with the biggest thighs squat and squat heavy. You think Platz, Coleman, etc. built their thighs without squats? 75# is not heavy at all and there are tons of dudes using 100+ DB for all presses. The Smith machine is a garbage piece of equipment that isn't worth the steel it costs to make.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Dude, the guys with the biggest thighs squat and squat heavy. You think Platz, Coleman, etc. built their thighs without squats? 75# is not heavy at all and there are tons of dudes using 100+ DB for all presses. The Smith machine is a garbage piece of equipment that isn't worth the steel it costs to make.
Why does Juan Morel use the Smith Machine then? Why are there other pro's out there that use it to their advantage?

Not trying to troll here, but are you making a living like Juan Morel?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why does Juan Morel use the Smith Machine then? Why are there other pro's out there that use it to their advantage? Not trying to troll here, but are you making a living like Juan Morel?
Like who?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Like him............

http://www.supplementsfuel.com/must-you-squat-dorian-yates-answers/

"I used Smith machine squats, the leg press, and the hack squat. I found that for me, those exercises did a much better job at working my quads, whereas squats had always involved a lot of lower back and glutes. I still say that the barbell squat is a wonderful exercise for some people. For anyone who plays a sport like football or soccer, they are a great all-around movement and will help develop superb core strength. But in my case, squats never delivered the best results. I managed to win six Mr. Olympia titles without them, and my legs became two of my better body parts."

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am in Pennsylvania It is cold and raining I did my lifting this morning at 5am (at Home) I get off at 3pm I will drive to Planet Fitness about 1/2 mile do 15 minutes on the Step mill another 15 on the elliptical some ab work, I do this 2 - 4 times a week and it cost me $10 a month, It is close, it is handy, and I do it! If I tell myself I will do it after diner I will never get out of my ez-chair! (I'm Lazy)

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Hey Rocket,

I guess these guys are going to disagree with Dorian Yates now lol. He only won 6 Olympia titles using the Smith Machine!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So now we have digressed in comparing what professional BBers do and the way Planet Fitness operates. Seems like quite the stretch and does not answer why they do not offer the most basic piece of equipment. Also, do we really feel that they are serving pizza and candy because it is part of a proper body building diet? LOL

Someone here owns some PF stock me thinks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am in Pennsylvania It is cold and raining I did my lifting this morning at 5am (at Home) I get off at 3pm I will drive to Planet Fitness about 1/2 mile do 15 minutes on the Step mill another 15 on the elliptical some ab work, I do this 2 - 4 times a week and it cost me $10 a month, It is close, it is handy, and I do it! If I tell myself I will do it after diner I will never get out of my ez-chair! (I'm Lazy)
Fair enough, I did not take into account the weather you may face there.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey Rocket, I guess these guys are going to disagree with Dorian Yates now lol. He only won 6 Olympia titles using the Smith Machine!
How many did Ronnie, Arnold, Franco, Haney, etc. win with squats as the backbone of their thigh training?

If you'll actually read a bit more on Dorian, you'll see he squatted for many years, but had a hip condition that prevented him from continuing to do so.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have never understood the pizza or tootsies roll thing and I have expressed my displeasure with the owners but hey, I don't eat it. I have belonged to hard core gyms where you had to bring your own toilet paper, so it is kind of nice have a clean faculty to do cardio in.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Yes but his legs kept growing even when he stopped using them.

I fully understand that Squats are very very important. I agree with that. BUt if a guy wants to workout at PF here and there, its not going to be detrimental to their gains.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes but his legs kept growing even when he stopped using them. I fully understand that Squats are very very important. I agree with that. BUt if a guy wants to workout at PF here and there, its not going to be detrimental to their gains.
You just can't put together a concise argument can you?

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
There are plenty of guys who grew fine with just using dumbbells. Everyone knows that correct?

There are plenty of people out there who can still grow using less than 75 pounds.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are plenty of guys who grew fine with just using dumbbells. Everyone knows that correct? There are plenty of people out there who can still grow using less than 75 pounds.
FFS...I give up.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
LOL you guys are making me laugh over here. I am really enjoying this debate today.

PF is not as bad as people make it out to be. Im not saying its a bodybuilding Gym, but if a guy wants to go there to lift and is creative, it can be productive.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
PF serving pizza to the general fat and overweight population is the damn problem. You freaking kidding me, so what if Bbs eat it that's a complete and totally different comparison. Sry dominos for an individual 40-60lbs overweight and on medication is just legal murder.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
So now Bodybuilders are mad now that PF serves bodybuilding food.

Listen I understand the concern for other people, but lets be realistic. Bodybuilding is an individual sport. Worry about your own gains. If you don't like them eating pizza on Mondays then show up there and eat it instead.

There are plenty of people who are not fat lifting at PF who could benefit from eating Pizza btw.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So now Bodybuilders are mad now that PF serves bodybuilding food.

Listen I understand the concern for other people, but lets be realistic. Bodybuilding is an individual sport. Worry about your own gains. If you don't like them eating pizza on Mondays then show up there and eat it instead.

There are plenty of people who are not fat lifting at PF who could benefit from eating Pizza btw.
Good Point !

juniorab

juniorab

Awards
You can tell me with a straight face that you can perform reverse dumbbell flyes with more than 75 pounds in each arm? Please tell me you are not that much of an idiot?
No, I do reverse flies with 50's. Are reverse flies the only exercise that you use dumbbells for? If so, then this is where I get off this conversation.

Why does Juan Morel use the Smith Machine then? Why are there other pro's out there that use it to their advantage?

Not trying to troll here, but are you making a living like Juan Morel?
Pro's train differently than us average joe's for multiple reasons. Besides having such a chemically enhanced advantage over the rest of us, they are already as big as they really want to be and they use more of a maintenance and sculpting routine with many of their lifts.

So much of this.......

How many did Ronnie, Arnold, Franco, Haney, etc. win with squats as the backbone of their thigh training?

If you'll actually read a bit more on Dorian, you'll see he squatted for many years, but had a hip condition that prevented him from continuing to do so.
And this too.

I can completely understand using it in this manor.

QUADMONSTER

QUADMONSTER

Banned
Awards
Well we all had our debate for the day. I like being a member at bodybuilding gyms and PF. I find both useful.