Time to switch programs? DC to 5/3/1

TheJailer521

Awards
Looking to switch programs from DC to possibly 5/3/1. With size/strength being the goal.

I was on DC for a few years and made steady gains, but recently added in a bench strength program that gave me new stretch marks for the first time in over 10 years, which got me wanting to switch things up.

My only hold up with 5/3/1, is OH press is a killer on me. It always tends to mess with my neck/shoulder when I try to add any real weight.

Is there a replacement exercise for the oh press, or is it too critical to the success of 5/3/1?

If so should I just go another route?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dips possible, but OHP is a cornerstone lift. Do both seated and standing cause problems?

TheJailer521

Awards
Seated for sure does, Ill have to mess with standing to see how bad it is.

Maybe just heavy enough to be in the comfort range, and see if building it up more from there helps?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seated for sure does, Ill have to mess with standing to see how bad it is. Maybe just heavy enough to be in the comfort range, and see if building it up more from there helps?
OHP is the slowest moving of the four so it's expected to build slowly. Be extra diligent with your technique and keep your elbows under your wrists while pushing slightly back at the top.

TexasGuy

Awards
Consider making shoulder mobility drills a priority.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Many people neglect OHP because it is difficult and normally the weakest lift for most, which lets ego get in the way to search for something else easier or less uncomfortable in the beginning. Stick with it because as Rodja mentioned, it is an important lift and one that will have you seeing incredible benefits as you start to work them more.