Modified 5/3/1

PILL

Awards
I'm looking at trying out Wendler's 5/3/1, because of the general consensus that it just plain works. My question is, has anyone tried with any success a modified version that includes rows and vertical pulls with the program? I am considering running it, but pairing bench and pendlay rows and overhead presses and weighted pull ups on the same days following the 5/3/1 rep and weight schemes. It just seems like working out only presses is forgetting about a lot of potential strength gains.

I understand that Wendler is very particular about not complicating the program and running it as he has set it up, but I am not a powerlifter. Being strong is awesome, but I mostly care about the hypertrophy benefits that increased strength brings.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Check out Dave Tate's periodization bible for assistance work using 5/3/1 should be exactly what you're looking for

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Check out 5/3/1 for bodybuilders, I do pulls in my 531 split and I'm following the bb 531

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm looking at trying out Wendler's 5/3/1, because of the general consensus that it just plain works. My question is, has anyone tried with any success a modified version that includes rows and vertical pulls with the program? I am considering running it, but pairing bench and pendlay rows and overhead presses and weighted pull ups on the same days following the 5/3/1 rep and weight schemes. It just seems like working out only presses is forgetting about a lot of potential strength gains. I understand that Wendler is very particular about not complicating the program and running it as he has set it up, but I am not a powerlifter. Being strong is awesome, but I mostly care about the hypertrophy benefits that increased strength brings.
Have you read his book? He advocates rowing and pull-ups throughout the entire book.

It doesn't have to be the 5/3/1 progression for those. It might be a cool with the Pendlay rows, but keep in mind you should still perform some high rep upper back work.

1)Deadlift
Hams
Quads

2)Bench
Horizontal Row
Bi/Tri

3)Squat
Ham
Wuad

4)OHP
Vertical Row
Bi/Tri

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My splits are kind of what you've laid out
Mon-bench and horizontal push/pull
Tues- deadlift & higher volume front squat
Thurs-OHP and vertical push/pull
Fri-squat & higher volume PC work

PILL

Awards
Thank you for the quick responses. I have not read Wendler's book, I've just done some reading online.

The options yall have mentioned sounds exactly like what I'm looking for!

throneof

throneof

Awards
  • Established
531 is excellent. Just tailor it to meet your needs. I do BBB for OHP, first set last for bench, and Dave Tate's periodization bible for deads and squats. I've been running it for over a year. Even when I'm cutting I will run it. I just lower the TM accordingly.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Regarding horizontal rows is there any benefit in terms of strength if using low narrow grip vs high narrow grip? Same if replacing with wide grip?

PILL

Awards
Regarding horizontal rows is there any benefit in terms of strength if using low narrow grip vs high narrow grip? Same if replacing with wide grip?
I tend to use a shoulder width grip because I find it hits the middle back harder. Not sure what you mean by high or low.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Using an example from seated row, plate loaded ones from Hammer at the gym that are not a typical seated cable row. One has the initial row position almost down by the knees, the user has to bend forward a bit but not as extreme as a T-bar bent over row and the other has the initial pull position level with the shoulders. The have both wide and narrow grip.

Last edited:
Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go with what has the best mind-muscle connection and contraction.