Sumo Deadlift Hips

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Hey guys, Quick question i started to film my self deadlift and i noised my hips started to shoot up before the weight left the floor. This only happens when i get above a certain weight. My set up is solid lats are tight and chest is forward, i just don't know why my hips are shooting.

Thanks guys

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best bet is to post a video. Could be a few things. Remember to keep your hips opened up and spread the floor.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What he said^

It could be setup related or how you're initiating the pull

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
[video=youtube_share;o460SpiDttA]http://youtu.be/o460SpiDttA[/video]
[video=youtube_share;0IVme1kwQSY]http://youtu.be/0IVme1kwQSY[/video]

Here are two videos, please feel free to rip me apart i am here to learn and improve always looking for guidance

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Okay, you're pulling conventional in a sumo stance. You need to sit into the movement more and get your torso upright. Right now you're breaking the floor with your back instead of breaking it with your hips.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Ok thank you, so you are saying lower the hips a little more and sit it to it. And shoot through the hips not through the back. Just making sure I got that right. Would it be more beneficial if I switch to conventional?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hips need to be close to the bar and like Herder said, torso up a bit more.

You should be pushing outwards on your feet to spread the floor apart. Throw your knees outwards and this will bring your hips in. Pull the slack out of the bar and spread the floor. That'll initiate the pull with your hips.

Convo vs sumo is up to you. Sumo is a bitch.

iddc

iddc

Awards
You'll get a lot of help from these guys here at AM!

Taking form check vids was the best thing I've done here. I got a lot of help (now it's starting to get complex tho, gotta do my research)

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Ok thank you guys a lot, all of this has been so helpful. I'm heading to the gym tonight for a deadlift session I'll film again and try to work on what you guys have pointed out. Thank you

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Another que is to get everything a little tighter at the start, along with the hips as stated above. Tighter grip on the bar, tighter abs, tighter glutes, THEN rip it. My setup before a sumo pull takes about 5 seconds longer than my convo. Hope that helps

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Thats what my goal tonight is. To try to work on staying tight, for me at least when i am up straight i seem to be tight and i can feel my core and glutes contracting, but when i go down for the bar my flutes deactivate. any tips on keeping tight

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I'm sure this has prob already been said, but get a good external rotation of your hips before you get into position. Then FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS!!! It's almost like running a mental checklist from the top down. Try it like this: shoulders set, chest tight, lats set, core squeezed, grip the bar, squeeze ur arse, spread the floor and rip the weight!!!
Think more along the line of pushing the floor out and away from you also, instead of picking the weight up, if that makes any sense

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Ok thank you. I'll hopefully be able to cross all of them off mentally tonight. Will post another video when I get back from the gym. One sumo one conversational. Thanks again guys really helpful!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The glutes won't be tight on the bottom as that's biomechanically impossible. However, there should be tension running along the IT band and external rotation of the femur as well. The sumo deadlift is not really a deadlift at all; it's more of squat than anything. The lower back is a stabilizer and not a primary mover.

Deathclaw

Awards
A good mental cue is to try and imagine your dunking your balls on the bar.....don't start the pull until your hips are low enough and remember to try and externally rotate your hips so knees are pointing outwards

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
The glutes won't be tight on the bottom as that's biomechanically impossible. However, there should be tension running along the IT band and external rotation of the femur as well. The sumo deadlift is not really a deadlift at all; it's more of squat than anything. The lower back is a stabilizer and not a primary mover.
I was wondering that about the glutes at the bottom, or if it was just me that couldn't really do it! Lord knows I still tried! Haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was wondering that about the glutes at the bottom, or if it was just me that couldn't really do it! Lord knows I still tried! Haha
You can get some tension once you've pulled out the slack in the bar. If you get really good at setting up properly, you can get it to where you provide so much tension that the weight is elevated before you initiate the pull. It's definitely not easy to get and especially difficult without a DL bar.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
You can get some tension once you've pulled out the slack in the bar. If you get really good at setting up properly, you can get it to where you provide so much tension that the weight is elevated before you initiate the pull. It's definitely not easy to get and especially difficult without a DL bar.
I get a pinching feeling in my hips when I pull the tension on the bar... I'm assuming due to needing mobility work?.?.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get a pinching feeling in my hips when I pull the tension on the bar... I'm assuming due to needing mobility work?.?.
Sounds like it. My guess is psoas tightness, but that's just a shot in the dark.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Here are some conventional out of the videos i have shown above which type of dead should i stick with?

[video=youtube;5nJrhDazifM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nJrhDazifM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

[video=youtube;zwd0aG1NMf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwd0aG1NMf0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Thanks again guys i love learning

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get conventional down first. You're essentially doing a SLDL. You need to drop your hips, pull the bar closer to you, and not let your shoulders drift ahead of the bar.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I do think sumo is easier to get the bar off the ground, the reason I switched away from conversational was due I was mostly doing a SLD so any tips on not shooting the hips up

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do think sumo is easier to get the bar off the ground, the reason I switched away from conversational was due I was mostly doing a SLD so any tips on not shooting the hips up
You don't start with your hips down and the bar positioning in relation to your shins is off. It looks like it's too far ahead of you.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Ok thank you guys again I'm here to learn so all these replays are very helpful and will be looked at a lot.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
simply put, your not strong enough. you need more hamstring strength to prevent the hips from rising. you need more quad strength to break the bar of the floor. you need more lat strength to keep the bar close to you. and as mentioned you need to keep the shoulders over if not behind the bar, not floating way past it like what an olympic lifter would do.

you did keep a neutral spine which is awesome.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Thank you for being honest. I do know I have a lot to work on and that's why I hit the gym each day, to try and improve I'll talk that and use that as motivation to keep going. At least I have a straight back Hahahah. But again thanks!!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Thank you for being honest. I do know I have a lot to work on and that's why I hit the gym each day, to try and improve I'll talk that and use that as motivation to keep going. At least I have a straight back Hahahah. But again thanks!!
ya that neutral spine IMO will let you hammer this with a lot of volume and frequency without injury. so get at it! lol. i didn't read every response so forgive me if this is said but sumo is a very technical lift and takes quite a bit of time to learn as well as good hip mobility and hip strength. it looks like to me with your body that conventional may be better if you want bigger numbers. sumo would still be a good accessory move though.

here is how i decide if sumo or conventional is better for someone. if you have a long torso and short legs, sumo. if you have a short torso and long legs, conventional. there are some guys that are great at both. one of my training partners, a 242 pounder pulls just over 600 sumo and conventional. while most of us at the gym have 100-200lbs difference between our conventional and sumo pulls.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
simply put, your not strong enough. you need more hamstring strength to prevent the hips from rising. you need more quad strength to break the bar of the floor. you need more lat strength to keep the bar close to you. and as mentioned you need to keep the shoulders over if not behind the bar, not floating way past it like what an olympic lifter would do. you did keep a neutral spine which is awesome.
Honestly, maintaining the neutral spine is the hardest part to teach. The other stuff is muscular and easy to fix.

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
Well that's a positive to hear

Tabascoonall

Tabascoonall

Awards
I am 5'10 on a good day haha