Trap pain while benching

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So I have no idea whats going on, I have always had a weird pain in my left trap, where it meets my neck. . It feels like I have a knot in there or something, when I press down on it, it is sore. It doesn't stop me from benching, I can still go heavy, but I would like to get rid of this pain.

So I am assuming its a form issue? But I have tried different forms (shoulders out, shoulders half flared, shoulders in, flat back, powerlifting style etc ) but nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe you have an actua knot in it? (not trying to be captain obvious here lol)

highlander31

highlander31

Awards
  • Established
could be a structural alignment (skeleton issues). see a good chiro maybe

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
TheraCane buddy

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe you have an actua knot in it? (not trying to be captain obvious here lol)
no sean I gotcha, I mean i get knots in my rear delts frequently (**** those hurt!) but it does feel pretty tight in that area. My buddy is a massage therapist, maybe I should see him and see what he thinks.

Could be I flexing my trap while benching, not on purpose, and thats causing the pain? Ill see if I can go see my buddy or a chiro and get this sorted out. In other news, im doing a meet finally Sean1332 :D.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
no sean I gotcha, I mean i get knots in my rear delts frequently (**** those hurt!) but it does feel pretty tight in that area. My buddy is a massage therapist, maybe I should see him and see what he thinks. Could be I flexing my trap while benching, not on purpose, and thats causing the pain? Ill see if I can go see my buddy or a chiro and get this sorted out. In other news, im doing a meet finally Sean1332 :D.
Good luck! PM me where at!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm all aboard the theracane train here. Or, when I get a knot on my scap, I'll lay on a lax ball placed on the knot (EDIT: try to put all of your weight on it) and take my arm through the motions, then grab a 10lb kettlebell and do it again. Your upper trap shouldn't be doing too much while benching, try to remember to put your scaps in your back pockets and pinch them together the whole time while benching.

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I fixed my issue fellas. Yesterday I tried to tuck my elbows in so they were almost touching my lats (hard to explain). I managed to put up some serious weight with no pain so im stoked about that! No pain, all felt good. Just for ****s and giggles, I flared my shoudlers out on lighter weight to see if that truly was the issue and what do you know, trap pain came back! So I guess it was a form issue after all. Alls well that ends well!

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pinch those shoulder blades to the point that you could hold a pencil back there! No part of your back in between your scapula should be touching the bench.

Break up the myofascia with a lacrosse ball. Actually probs start with a tennis ball. Roll around on the wall until you find the knot and apply as much pressure as you can take. Don't move, don't roll around just apply pressure. You'll notice your shoulders will feel more loose after one time doing this. Over time keep doing it and you'll break it up.

Never roll the ball on your spine

EatMoar

EatMoar

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Pinch those shoulder blades to the point that you could hold a pencil back there! No part of your back in between your scapula should be touching the bench.

Break up the myofascia with a lacrosse ball. Actually probs start with a tennis ball. Roll around on the wall until you find the knot and apply as much pressure as you can take. Don't move, don't roll around just apply pressure. You'll notice your shoulders will feel more loose after one time doing this. Over time keep doing it and you'll break it up.

Never roll the ball on your spine
I wouldn't even want to feel the pain of rolling a lacrosse ball on my spine.... I usually foam roll my whole back, lats , etc.