Upright Rows or High Pulls?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I read an article recently promoting the high pull (snatch grip) if I remember correctly in lieu of upright rows. Right now I'm doing a push/pull split and have been doing upright rows on the push day because I feel like the medial delt activation is more a push movement. If I were to swap it out with snatch grip high pulls, I should probably move it to the pull day, right? Has anyone else swapped those exercises like that? Does the snatch grip high pull hit the medial delt like upright rows do? Thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love high pulls and mix in with face pulls as it works it all and I enjoy the explosiveness of the high pull. These are done on a pull day for me and then they get hit again with OHP on a push day or simply outside of that particular day that I am targeting back and/or shoulders. I train movement rather than body part, so it can vary.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Right on. I think I'll just do them on my pull day, and cut out upright row from push day. I did them today, but after doing upright row yesterday, it feels like too much.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
drop the upright rows or find a good doctor to repair the oncoming shoulders problems.

snatch grip deads, snatch grip high pulls, facepulls, and band pull aparts are all superior choices without the concern of jacking the shoulders up. hell the last 2 especially will help with a lot of shoulder issues.

Deathclaw

Awards
High rows every time for me.....so long as you've got half decent shoulder mobility they are a far superior movement IMO

jaces

jaces

Awards
Upright row with a wide grip ,, but I dnt go belowe 12reps with this and pause a little at the top

Abe Lincoln

Abe Lincoln

Awards
  • Established
Face pull all the way! I like to squeeze my lats throughout the movement

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
High rows every time for me.....so long as you've got half decent shoulder mobility they are a far superior movement IMO
superior at destroying the shoulders. this is one of those myths that it is a good movement to do that just needs to die. there are far safer movements that hit the same areas and some of them will help to repair imbalance instead of causing issues.

jaces

jaces

Awards
superior at destroying the shoulders. this is one of those myths that it is a good movement to do that just needs to die. there are far safer movements that hit the same areas and some of them will help to repair imbalance instead of causing issues.
Could you maybe post a few e.g.??

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
snatch grip deads, snatch grip high pulls, and snatch grip well about nearly anything else. also facepulls, band pull aparts, farmers, yoke carries, and the like are all good for the upper back and shoulder area.

more specific shoulder work should start with overhead presses and can supplement with wide grip rows and lateral raises. a nice variation of DB presses and a lateral raise is to do a DB overhead press then lower the DBs as if you were doing a lateral raise. think of it as eccentricly accentuated DB presses.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I love high pulls and mix in with face pulls as it works it all and I enjoy the explosiveness of the high pull. These are done on a pull day for me and then they get hit again with OHP on a push day or simply outside of that particular day that I am targeting back and/or shoulders. I train movement rather than body part, so it can vary.
^^ This, plus I like the Trap activation you get from high pulls as well.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CaseyW Training Forum 12
Jiigzz Training Forum 11
Torobestia Training Forum 10
grigs Training Forum 13
DerickVonD Training Forum 35