training twice a day?

grum7n7

Awards
Hey guys, how do you feel about this topic? I'm currently unemployed and have been going to the gym twice a day, 6 days a week...now I know the majority of you are thinking woahhhh, way too much, you're over training and not getting enough rest! I partially agree with that but I have only been going this frequent for 3 weeks now...

I typically train the same muscle group the second time at the gym...usually heavy, 6-8 reps in the morning...and high volume 10-15 reps in the afternoon...

Thoughts on training the same muscle group twice in one day? My body has changed drastically in a short period of time..I know i won't last forever tho

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What type of drastic changes are you seeing? I would guess that this type of training may lean you out, just due to the incredible amount of energy you are burning, but may not increase strength and/or muscles size that much. Am I wrong about this?

If you are seeing great results, who can argue? I'm not sure why you are training the same muscle twice in one day though? Is it because you expect the second, lighter workout to improve recovery or something?

My thoughts are just what you suggested, you are doing "too much". You have to stimulate - recover - grow - repeat. Obviously 12 hours is not enough time to recover, and that means not enough time to grow, between workouts. Even Arnold, who used to do 2-per-day splits, didn't train the same body part I don't believe, in the same day. And he was obviously "enhanced".

Have you tried training once per day? Maybe you have good recovery, but would see equal or superior benefit from once/day and you just don't realize it.

Again, people are going to have different opinions on this, but if it's actually working for you, great. It goes against a lot of the theories I believe, but that means nothing.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is no point in training the same muscle group twice a day and if you are hitting it like you should be, then you wouldn't be able to have an effective second workout. If you like mixing heavy/low rep and lighter/high rep, then look to split that in the week. It sounds like you are new to lifting? Most people experience initial gains no matter what they do, but it is not sustainable and you need to find and use a proven program.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
as long as you know how to program for 2 a days, which most people do not. you can NOT apply split training and current bodybuilding methodologies and be successful at it. it is a whole different type of training.

can you post up your current plan?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
as long as you know how to program for 2 a days, which most people do not. you can NOT apply split training and current bodybuilding methodologies and be successful at it. it is a whole different type of training.

can you post up your current plan?

Deathclaw

Awards
I tried this for a while when I was working a 24 hour on 24 hour off shift pattern at work.....found the only way I could have enough energy for my 2nd workout I had to eat silly amounts of carbs following workout 1.....too much for me to stomach tbh so I switched over to a full body routine every 48hours.