Reconstructed ACL/Knee Pain

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So, I had a hamstring graft ACL reconstruction about 6 years ago. I tore my ACL doing a axle clean and press and just the past year got back into training, but have only been doing deadlifts for about 6 months, and started squats 2 weeks ago. There's been a few days here and there after a heavy deadlift day that I've had some knee pain, but not like the past two days. On Monday I really tried to perfect @$$ to the grass squat, but wondering if that contributed to the knee pain. Anyone else have a reconstructed ACL and deal with frequent pain?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I've broken my femur twice , dislocated my knee cap, and tore my meniscus (all separate occasions on my right leg) and I get the same issue. Ass to grass squats I feel it in my knee. So I try to just hit parallel or a bit below. Better than getting injured IMO but I definitely notice i .

That said I have a client who tore an acl and he can do ass to grass and he's 3 years removed. I guess everyone different

I'd take it easy and ease your way into ass to grass, and really try to get reacclimated/ let your body get used to the poundage

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tore my ACL/MCL, meniscus, and the PCL.

My knee cap on my right leg actually sets/tracks different than my left. Squats are hard, my foot position on my right side is a little different that my left.

I'll have knee pain occasionally. Best investment has been knee sleeves (I use titan 7mm) and a TENS unit. Place the pads on your quads/hams and around the MCL/LCL if you can (turn the intensity wayyyy down for the ligaments)

Also, mobility such as prehab work has helped A LOT. If you need any help feel free to PM me.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I'll probably just squat to parallel now, and maybe just stay away from going heavy as well. I used to have a pair of knee sleeves; I'll have to get another pair. I'm also interested in the prehab exercises. Also looking into Paractin, to go with the cissus I'm using.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Tbh, if bodybuilding you can make squats work to build size without going atg

Most importantly you shouldn't get hurt so just find what works and run with it! Ime under tension squats or slow descent squats are brutal

pjrc1974

Awards
Ten years ago I had a full ACL reconstruction with simultaneous McIntosh after playing rugby with not even a shred of ligament left.....they had to take a third of my patella tendon away too and I smashed my patella in half.

Needless to say I could not do much squatting but still continued my training around the issue....
My rehab was 14 months of early starts 6am physio pre my job labouring on building sites starting at 7am....

The kneel to felt great fir many years but squats were still off the menu due to the Rom...

Over the last 2 years I started Convict Conditioning , a book by Paul Wade on progressive calisthenics promising strength and flexibility into old age...I doubted the muscle building/ligament strengthening claims so started out over 3 months with the squat progression.

I followed the advice exactly and figured my legs were strong,muscular from sports etc BUT I started squat progression at part 1...shoulder stand squats ie no weight really...and followed it to the letter.

2 years on I am doing assisted single leg pistols and can just about bust out one or two pistols on each leg....I have been convinced that this style of training is the best rehab you can do!

So much so I tried the other exercises and found that with weights I had strength in most areas required for rugby and labouring etc but was shocked at how profoundly weak my body was when strictly doing the easiest steps of the other movements.

If you want to protect your joints and get your knee back I would suggest you check it out...the principle is that the progressions strengthen your ligaments to cope with the heavy external weights we all love to throw up!

Hope that helps in some way....

Sorry my post is long winded and boring as f**k but I'm amazed at what my knee can do now and the flexibility I have....

Sorry to anyone who fell asleep and got robbed blind whilst trying to read all that....if you threw your computer under a bus or catapulted your mobile into the ocean put my details on the claim form.

Hope it works for you if you try it out...

In case you are wondering I'm 6'2" 90kg ish about 10-12% bf now and only train CC....

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The thing to remember is that the graft itself needs its own time to heal. Not to mention scar tissue from continuous training would be a factor in how deep you go and the immediate need to rehab the knee should be a lifelong pursuit for you so you don't regress at any point in time. Knowing that you have been post op over a year, why wait so long before attempting squats and better yet why is ATG so important? Whens the last time you had to pick something up, and even stand up from that level? I don't feel the irritation is worth it atm and IMO you are better off doing extremely light weights to a comfortable depth. Uni Lateral Leg Press work can help bring up your affected leg as well help get you comfortable with deeper ROM safely.

Overall, pain will be present still and for a long time. Heck how much feeling do ya have right beside your scar? Any swelling the day after training? Whats your usual leg or posterior chain training look like? You could simply just be overdoing it as well

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thanks for all the replies gents.
I just recently started doing squats because I just joined a gym. I was working out at home prior to that doing power cleans, OHPs, tire flips, deadlifts, farmers walks, keg carries, but my work schedule and life circumstance changed and now can afford (time) to go to a gym. I also could easily be overdoing it in addition to the problems ATG squats are causing. I'll stick to light squats to parallel. I've never had swelling the day after training though; must a dull ache during movement.

pjrc1974

Awards
Seriously check out the squat progressions for calisthenics transformed my knee ....free info on the PCC blog pages (Al Kavadlo etc) and also on the CC pages(google it I can't post alink) ..it doesn't take to long and got me back to squats, single leg pistol squats and sports.....ie. squash and stuff...Check it for free ,you can train anywhere so it's pretty handy too.
Once you nail pistols I'm sure weighted squats will be fine...
Worth a shot pal.