Elbow pain/tendonitis

Rickie

Rickie

Awards
I've been working out with a personal trainer for almost 3 months. I began having sharp pain in my right elbow about 2 weeks ago. My trainer says it's more than likely tennis elbow. I've tried anti-inflammatory, ice hot, and rest. Pain is intermittent but very intense on certain exercises. Any further advice on recovery or therapy would be greatly appreciated.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Try strengthening the supinator and pronator muscles. Also the extensors of the forearm, especially the extensor Carpi ulnaris and digitorum

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I also have this.... Im going to purchase Mark bell's compression cuffs apparently they work wonders, obviously its not a permanent repair solution but im hoping it will take some strain off the elbow anyway.

Ive been told by him (mark bell) it will aid only ever so slightly with lifting strength... I mean basically nothing, but it will help with any pain.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've found that his cuffs just cut off circulation after awhile unless you adjust then between sets.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I've found that his cuffs just cut off circulation after awhile unless you adjust then between sets.
Is imagine this to be the case, purely because how tight they are supposed to be. Just like knee wraps?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Is imagine this to be the case, purely because how tight they are supposed to be. Just like knee wraps?
Well, you don't leave knee wraps on while training. To my understanding, the cuffs are to be left on throughout.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Well, you don't leave knee wraps on while training. To my understanding, the cuffs are to be left on throughout.
Yeah that's what I was getting at, I assumed you took them off between sets? I am probably wrong then, If you normally wear them the whole workout then I don't like the idea of cutting the circulation obviously. I might have a rethink about getting some

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah that's what I was getting at, I assumed you took them off between sets? I am probably wrong then, If you normally wear them the whole workout then I don't like the idea of cutting the circulation obviously. I might have a rethink about getting some
I don't use them too often now. I use an adjustable wrap made by Metal.

highlander31

highlander31

Awards
  • Established
Could be misalignment of the radius of where it sits in the radial notch. I had this problem and it was causing sharp pains intermittently at weird times in moving my arm. Went to my chiro (a good chiro) and he found the spot immediately due to feeling sharp pains, and realigned it. It needs to be aligned a few times for it to take tho (3 or more), but now its 100%. Could be your issue.

David147

Awards
The treatment of elbow pain depends entirely on the cause of the problem. Not all treatments are appropriate for every condition, but may be helpful in your situation.

Rest: The first treatment for many common conditions that cause elbow pain is to rest the joint, and allow the acute inflammation to subside. It is important, however, to use caution when resting the joint, because prolonged immobilization can cause a stiff joint.

Ice packs and heat pads are among the most commonly used treatments for elbow pain.

Stretching the muscles and tendons that surround the joint can help with some causes of elbow pain.

Physical therapy is an important aspect of treatment of almost all orthopedic conditions to increase strength, regain mobility, and help return pre-injury level of activity.

Battossi

Awards
I've been working out with a personal trainer for almost 3 months. I began having sharp pain in my right elbow about 2 weeks ago. My trainer says it's more than likely tennis elbow. I've tried anti-inflammatory, ice hot, and rest. Pain is intermittent but very intense on certain exercises. Any further advice on recovery or therapy would be greatly appreciated.
Try and first determine if it is caused by the trainers method.

A lot of trainers have people doing poor form coupled with poor selection of exercise coupled with a lot of volume.

This can induce tennis elbow believe it or not.

If it is in fact an injury. ...work with it not against it. Try a recovery routine and do alternative exercise to the ones that cause pain.

Only use wrist wraps or some sort of support as a last resort. Example:arthritis

My fear for people who use such equipment is they form a reliance on the equipment to lift. This eventually causes severe injury.

Note.....there is a place for that equipment in healthy people but that's usually a spot or competition of some sort. Good luck hitting 1200 squat without wraps and a suit lol.

Hope I helped!

clown007

clown007

Awards
Personally I have battled this on and off for months (lateral). I went for a massage that focused almost solely on the brachioradialis and fascial release and it worked wonders.
I've been focusing of quickly massaging the area before workouts and forgoing supinated gripping. This has really helped.
As for the cuffs, I was using them but actually felt pain developing in other areas of my elbow. Not terrible pain but not pleasant to say the least.
I have resorted to diligently massaging the areas around my elbow and the brachioradialis before pushing and pulling exercises. May be something to try.

Clown

David147

Awards
Elbow pain is an extremely common complaint, and there are many common causes of this problem. It is important to make an accurate diagnosis of the cause of your symptoms so that appropriate treatment can be directed at the cause. If you have elbow pain, some common causes include:

Lateral Epicondylitis - tennis elbow, symptoms being pain over the outside of the joint and difficulty gripping objects, and you don't have to be a tennis player.

Medial Epicondylitis - golfer's elbow, causes discomfort around the inner side of the joint, and not just golfers.

Olecranon Bursitis is most common behind the elbow joint, swelling and tenderness behind the joint over the bony prominence called the olecranon. Infections of the bursa can complicate the treatment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Injury / Rehab 3
CorpKiller Nutrition / Health 6
u_e_s_i Training Forum 11
bdavid Natural Bodybuilding 16
Training Forum 3