how do you flatten out and not bulk up?

evol

Awards
I wasn't sure what to search for, and my attempts at searching for random combinations of words yielded nothing. so i'm sorry if this is a common thread- if it is and you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

i've been cutting and i've lost quite a bit of weight. i've been maintaing for awhile but now i want to lean out. basically i want a body more like a soccer player/runner than a body builder. but right now it seems like my chest and abs are building out and not flattening out. what should i be doing if i want to lean out and "flatten" out my chest and abs?

i'm doing a 3 day split, cardio about 3-4+ times a week.

thanks in advance.

mghoodlum

Awards
run, run, run, thats how you look like a soccer player or marathon runner. They have more type 1 fibers which do not hypertrophy as easy, so keep running until you have more slow twitch fibers, i have no idea how long this might take but just keep a runnin

evol

Awards
haha that's what i thought (and feared). i HATE running.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
and you are hanging out on this board WHY? No offense bro but you are in the wrong place...

This isn't a "general fitness" board :)

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Not everyone wants to be big, myself included, yet all of us at the gym are bodybuilders. Sure we have different goals and different levels, but that is true among all who work out. evol, do some vacums. Do some interval sprinting, no matter how lean you want to look, don't do distance. I played soccer for fifteen years, and soccer players are not distance runners. They are slow joggers that sprint alot....Dim

Nate Dawg

Awards
  • Established
If you are wanting to flatten out I would be more than happy to donate my ease of flattening out. If I miss weights for 3 days or so and have shitty nutrition I get flatter than hell. I would just say run, drop your cals a bit and start running.

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
evol---i got to agree with exhilio here, and why would you wanna look like a soccer player? Thier puny.

nate--i gotta agree with you too, it seems like if I dont work out for a couple of days, i lose my "puff" I hate it.

evol

Awards
haha, thanks everyone. exnihlio- i've used the information on these boards to cut nicely, and i know not everyone on these boards wants to get really big. i'm not into getting big, my goal is to be very lean and slightly cut. I'm a street dancer so that body type is better for what i do.

thanks for the help dim!

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why can't people realize that not everyone wants to be big and bulky. Or not everyone wants to look like a Men's Health cover model, etc?

The guy was asking a question on how to do something not for someone to attack the LOOK he's trying to achieve.

diminuendo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Girls don't like HUUUUUUUGE, I like girls. I don't care how impressed the "bros" are with my powerlifting gut, don't want to hump the bros, capice?...Dim

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Incorrect.

Banged many a girl in High School and University because they liked muscles. I've never had a problem.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I'd go lighter with the weights and run more. I'd also cut my protein intake. I'd also maybe check out pilates and or look into more core training (core boards, swiss ball, balance boards, ect..) this type of training will work the muscle and get the heart rate up but not build to much bulk.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
cut your carbs ... you'll look flat as hell without carbs -- god only knows why you'd wanna look like that but hey whatever

and MANY MANY MANY girls REALLY dig muscles a lot ... trust me

and ex is right this isn't a general fitness board .. of course not everyone wants to be huge ... but why come to ANABOLICminds to find out how to look flat and like a distance runner?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you want you chest to look flat then don't train it. Its that simple.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Girls don't like HUUUUUUUGE, I like girls. I don't care how impressed the "bros" are with my powerlifting gut, don't want to hump the bros, capice?...Dim
Even if this was completely true (which it isn't, as long as we're not talking about guts alone, hell I even know a girl who likes guys whose stomachs have a tiny pot, and she's HOT), a much bigger factor is how confident you are, and how people treat you... Jacked guys tend to be confident as hell and I can tell you firsthand that most guys are very deferential to me (gee, I wonder why :lol: ). Put that together and what does it spell? P U S S Y!

:thumbsup:

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
ex- I am not differential to you, Id kick you ass:icon_lol:

JimJames

Banned
Awards
I would have to agree with exnihilo. Why go into a Chinese restaurant and order a cheeseburger... doesn’t make any sense.

What really happens is that time is wasted answering questions like this where it is better served on another board. No disrespect to the question, I just wonder if it would have been more appropriate somewhere else. If you don't want to build muscle, go find a forum that promotes running or soccer. There are a lot out there.

Finally, to the woman thing... chicks are so primeval it isn't even funny. They want the guy who can kick some dinosaur ass and bring it home and put it on the table. Not the guy who can run away from it the quickest. While they won’t all readily admit it, they want a guy who can offer some level of comfort and protection.

My $.02 worth…

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Finally, to the woman thing... chicks are so primeval it isn't even funny. They want the guy who can kick some dinosaur ass and bring it home and put it on the table. Not the guy who can run away from it the quickest. While they won’t all readily admit it, they want a guy who can offer some level of comfort and protection.
The keyword here is woman.

Girls are for pretty-boy abercromie types. Women are for big, muscular men who feel they can be protected by. :D

UNDERTAKER

Awards
  • Established
I am reasonably big and never had any problem getting the old puss. Some girls like the muscle look, some girl like abecrombie homos. It was great for me with girls right after the first fast and furious came out, I kinda have Vin Diesel's face and build (his build in that movie) and I was cleaning up with the women. Its all about whats in.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
:lol:

Death to abercrombie homos!

Also, what chicks say and how they act are two different things. I remember reading a study done with several hundred women, where they took pictures of men with beards and then shaved their faces in steps (each step approximating a different style of facial hair), taking a picture at each step, till the men were clean shaven. Then they mixed all the pictures up and had the women rate each picture on the attractiveness of the man in it. There was a direct correlation between how much facial hair the men had and how attractive the women rated them. Yet over and over women say they don't like facial hair :rofl:

TravTriggz

Awards
how does a thread like this get so many replies.
Evol... your a street dancer? whats that? o u mean a breakdancer "b-boy" oh ok , so why wouldnt u wanna gain muscle, the best breaker in the world (bboy ivan) weight trains he stands 5'6 and he weighs like 175lbs solid muscle, u think he got like that from running around all day like a soccer player??? he lifts weights thats where all of his explosive power comes from im sure he sprints, runs , stretches etc. alot but if u wanna be able to throw ur body around and spin on ur hands and head ur gonna need a lean strong foundation. theres always pushups pullups dips situps. easy stuff to get good at if ur a string bean on heroin :)

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
this question is great lol. if you dont eat anything you will look flat.

Last edited:

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
how does a thread like this get so many replies.
Evol... your a street dancer? whats that? o u mean a breakdancer "b-boy" oh ok , so why wouldnt u wanna gain muscle, the best breaker in the world (bboy ivan) weight trains he stands 5'6 and he weighs like 175lbs solid muscle, u think he got like that from running around all day like a soccer player??? he lifts weights thats where all of his explosive power comes from im sure he sprints, runs , stretches etc. alot but if u wanna be able to throw ur body around and spin on ur hands and head ur gonna need a lean strong foundation. theres always pushups pullups dips situps. easy stuff to get good at if ur a string bean on heroin :)
I'll ask the question. WHY does it MATTER that he doesn't want to "look" like a bodybuilder?

Let him look the way he wants to friggin look. Who are WE to tell him otherwise?

He asked a question. Stop ripping him because he doesn't want the body of a 220lb bodybuilder. Big deal. Get over yourselves.

He has a right to this board just as Lean One, exnihilo, Undertaker, etc. Stop making fun of him because his views don't align with ours.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
I'll ask the question. WHY does it MATTER that he doesn't want to "look" like a bodybuilder?

Let him look the way he wants to friggin look. Who are WE to tell him otherwise?

He asked a question. Stop ripping him because he doesn't want the body of a 220lb bodybuilder. Big deal. Get over yourselves.

He has a right to this board just as Lean One, exnihilo, Undertaker, etc. Stop making fun of him because his views don't align with ours.
You know what man, I just realized you're right... On a related note, I realized that I want to be an emaciated transexual, screw this jacked powerlifting stuff, so guys, what do I do to get tits and get rid of this dick, and how do I get all sucked up and puny? Ya know, like marilyn manson, omg he sooo hot...

:rofl:

nodgodbod

Awards
:lol:

Death to abercrombie homos!
:icon_lol: :icon_lol:
My opinion exactly - I find that growling at them scares them away from the free weights part of the gym where I usually reside. These people are entitled to look however they want - just as long as they stay playing with the leg extension or something.