Workout to focus on leg mass

Silverado

Awards
I'm trying plan a workout that will focus on my legs more to build them up. Here's a plan plan I thought let me know thoughts

DAY 1 LEGS & CALVES

SQUATS
8 x 12-8RPS
LEG PRESS
5 x 15
LEG EXTENTIONS
5 x 15
LYING LEG CURLS
5 x 15
STIFF LEGGED DEADLIFTS
5 x 20
WEIGHTED STATIC LUNGES S/S
4 x 15
SINGLE LEG EXT
4 x 15
STANDING CALVE RAISES
4 x 50

DAY 2 CHEST & SHOULDERS

FLAT BENCH PRESS
5 x 12
INCLINE DUMBELL PRESS
4 x 15
INCLINE SMITH MACHINE BENCH PRESS
5 x 8
INCLINE D/B FLYES
4 x 15
DIPS
5 x FAILURE
SIDE LATERAL RAISES
6 x 10
UPRIGHT ROWS
5 x 12
SHRUGS
4 x 20

DAY 3 BACK & HAMSTRINGS

PULL UPS
5 x 8
T-BAR ROWS
5 x 12
ONE ARM ROWS
4 x 12
LAT PULL DOWNS (FRONT)
5 x 10
45 DEGREE ROWS
4 x 15
DEADLIFTS
6 x 6
SINGLE LEGGED LEG PRESS
4 x 15
SINGLE LEGGED LYING LEG CURLS
4 x 15

DAY 4 SHOULDERS , QUADS & CALVES

SIDE LATERAL RAISES
7 x 12
BENT OVER SIDE RAISES
5 x 15
UPRIGHT ROWS
5 x 15
FRONT RAISES
4 x 12
OLYMPIC BAR SHOULDER PRESS
5 x 8
SQUATS
6 x 10
LEG EXTENTIONS
4 x 30
SEATED CALVE RAISES
4 x 50

DAY 5 ARMS

OLYMPIC BARBELL CURLS
5 x 12
INCLINE DUMBELL CURLS
5 x 10
SEATED DUMBELL CURLS
4 x 12
HAMMER CURLS
4 x 15
ROPE PUSHDOWNS
6 x 12
DIPS
5 x FAILURE
REVERSE TRICEP EXT
5 x 12
1 ARM TRI EXTENTION
4 x 12

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think your split has too many inter connected parts mixing. My current split that I've been using for about 3 years now with constant progression is:

Qauds/Calves
Chest/Delts
Hams/Calves
Lats/Traps

4 to 5 exercises for each muscle group.

I can go 3 weeks without a rest day, but can throw in a rest day when I want, no need for a direct arm day because my arms are getting plenty of work doing the compounds, and my calves and upper legs have never been bigger, and keep growing. Simple is better in my opinion.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd recommend more than 1 day between legs and hamstrings if that's the volume you're going to do.

I think the exercises you chose will definitely help add mass, assuming your diet is in check and you get some rest on your lower limbs.

Maybe start with two leg days/week, one with compounds and another after a few days off for some hypertrophy area-specific work?

What's your training history?

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
I bet of you focused on getting your squat to 400-500lbs, you'd get some pretty big legs

Silverado

Awards
Thanks for the replies

Was thinking about training them twice a week by doing the same routine but need to split it up better.

Silverado

Awards
Just want to add as much mass as I can on my legs because they're the only part that is lagging behind. I'm eating more now that I just came off a cut.
Been training for 8 years on and off

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Your routine has wayyyy too much volume and too low intensity My suggestion is to cut the fluff work (extensions, arm day, etc) and hit two leg days a week, one heavy day (6-8 reps/set) and one "pump day" (10-15 reps/set), but both centered around the heavy hitter exercises like squats, SLDL, etc. If you focus on increasing the amount of weight you can squat for reps, your legs will grow.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd recommend following a R/P or DC training. Nothing I have encountered over the years puts on mass and strength quite like it and at lifting for 8 years, likely a good candidate as it is not for beginners.

compudog

compudog

Awards
Your primary leg exercises are squats and deads, and since leg work takes the most time to recover from, you'll want to program your routine around those 2 lifts. If you squat Monday, you'll want to do deads on Thursday, which gives 3-4 days between.

In order to get the most benefit from those exercises, you'll want to start your workout with them, so you can do your heavy lifting while you're still fresh. You can do whatever assistance work you think is appropriate after, but I would try to limit your time to under an hour.

Your next biggest priority should be your yoke or shoulder girdle, which means presses and rows for assistance work. I notice you haven't got overhead press in there at all, you should consider adding it. It's a tremendous lift for strength reasons but also for mobility. A lot of people say they can't do them, which is bull. If you seriously can't put your hands over your head, you need a doctor not a gym. Programming wise it's the same as for squats and deads, do your heavy lifting first then assistance work after as time allows, but in the case of press days the rows are important and shouldn't be skipped. HTH

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't agree that you need to have 3-4 days between squats and deads as they work legs quite differently and deads are more of a full body movement.

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I like supersetting squats with rdls or rack pulls

Silverado

Awards
This is just sample workout I found and thought it'll help with my legs, I'm not following it but I did I would change a few exercises and add more compound movements.

I ended up doing this workout today which killed my legs nicely but I'm not sure I could do it twice a week.
Legs
Squat Wide Stance 4×8
Squat Narrow Stance 2×8
Stiff Legged Deadlift 4×8
Leg Press Wide Foot Placement 3×8
Leg Press Narrow Foot Placement 3×8
Leg Curls 3x drop set
Leg Extensions 3x drop set

I also read an article on Tnation called 4 weeks to bigger legs. Basically you in the program you'll train four days per week. Three of those will be "leg" days, with the fourth being a maintenance day for upper body lifts.

Ideally your week will be set up with Monday, Thursday, and Saturday being the lower body days, Tuesday as your maintenance day, and Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday as off days.

I was thinking of doing another upper body day so I get two per week.
Obviously the exercises will change workout by workout and their intensity.
Do you think this is good idea for 4 weeks only?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Highly dependent on goals. I would much rather have a 8-12 week routine than a 4 week blast as you can only succumb to so much growth and weight increases until it starts to affect recovery and joints. That workout you posted is way too much work and not enough intensity IMO. That is basically throwing everything and the kitchen sink at your legs and something is going to suffer along the way.

Silverado

Awards
Ok I get it too much volume and not enough intensity or rest.
Since I'm not getting it right could someone help with a 4/5 split where I train my legs twice to gain a lot of mass

Main goal is leg mass

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok I get it too much volume and not enough intensity or rest.
Since I'm not getting it right could someone help with a 4/5 split where I train my legs twice to gain a lot of mass

Main goal is leg mass
Here, very basic two day leg routine. Day one is more focused on being a power/heavy day for quads while day 2 is more of a heavy day for the posterior chain, and more of a "pump" day for quads. Do this routine, and each week try to improve on either adding more weight or reps to the big exercises (squat, hack squat, deadlift, etc). Ideally all exercises would improve in some fashion, but sometimes that doesnt happen. Make it a goal to beat your workout from last week, and use the more "fluff" work like leg curls and extensions to fully burn out the muscles. The sets x reps does not include warm ups.

Lower 1
BB Squat 3×8
Lying Leg Curls 3×12
Leg Extensions 3×10
BB Stiff Leg Deadlift 3×10
Standing Calf Raise

Lower 2
Hack Squat 3×12
Floor Deadlift - sets of 5 with weight pyramiding up until a 5 rep max
Smith Machine Squats 3×15
Seated Hamstring Curls 3×10
Seated Calf Raise

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
did you just make a massive list of every exercise you know and then tried to RAM it into a program without rhyme or reason?

i would highly recommend getting on a proven program.

Silverado

Awards
Kevinhy thanks for the solid replies bro
I'm going to try your workout but what else can I do besides lying leg curls?

Ha ha no asooneyeonig I got it from a website with a workout for the month

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Kevinhy thanks for the solid replies bro
I'm going to try your workout but what else can I do besides lying leg curls?

What do you have access to?

Silverado

Awards
Not much for hamstring

Leg press
Glute machine
Barbell
Dumbbell
Hyperextension stand

What if I add in lunges or single leg squats?

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Romanion deadlifts, good mornings, barbell hip thrust. Plenty of stuff for hams and glutes with the equipment you have available.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All of what Oscar said for hamstrings. The stretch and flex are key for SLDLs.

I love some lunges and single-leg/split squats. I usually only feel those in my quads though. Great finisher.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
Definitely try to seperate about 2-3 days between workouts for legs
For example, I do Tuesday and Saturday.

I am never one to be super-duper fancy but I mean something like this:

Tuesday Max Effort Squat (with variation)
Work up to 3RM or 1RM depending on the week
Perform 3 sets at about 75% of that RM max reps

Plyo Swing 100 reps (or Leg Press)
Move to leg curls 100 reps
Glute Ham Raise 100 reps

Simple

Then Saturday
Legs for volume (65% of your 1RM) throw in 2-3 sets of front sqats
Then heavy accessory work for your glutes, hips, etc.
Then hit the hammys again.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
All of what Oscar said for hamstrings. The stretch and flex are key for SLDLs.

I love some lunges and single-leg/split squats. I usually only feel those in my quads though. Great finisher.
Lunges hurt my soul :)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Not much for hamstring
Glute machine
Barbell
Dumbbell
Hyperextension stand
OMG, that is all you need. especially the glute ham and hyper. those are the best for hammies.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
anything that says workout of the month is going to suck. it reminds me of flex magazine and their effort to get your money while just regurgitating old workouts they printed before. proven programs can be done for months if not years at a time. they may have a month or 4 week cycle, but there will be a progression plan built into it to tell you what to do on the next cycle and even how to reset.

mj40069

Awards
There is a lot of volume there for one day, I would split into two days and you probably will see some significant gains!

jaces

jaces

Awards
Not much for hamstring

Leg press
Glute machine
Barbell
Dumbbell
Hyperextension stand

What if I add in lunges or single leg squats?
Glute machine??? Why in ****s name would u want a biger ass?? Squats , leg press and lunges , do them, hate them but please stay the **** of the girl machine , and dont just do 3 sts of 10 , add in sme high reps like 50s or a 20 rep rest pause(not on squats) . And overtraining is just an excuse for nt doing work ,,,, work = succes so work your ass of otherwise u wnt get any :)

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
Stronger ass=bigger squat# sometimes you gotta hit your weak points and for lots of people that's the glutes who wants a flabby chicken butt anyways

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glute machine??? Why in ****s name would u want a biger ass?? Squats , leg press and lunges , do them, hate them but please stay the **** of the girl machine , and dont just do 3 sts of 10 , add in sme high reps like 50s or a 20 rep rest pause(not on squats) . And overtraining is just an excuse for nt doing work ,,,, work = succes so work your ass of otherwise u wnt get any :)
Why would you want to make the largest muscle in your body and the linchpin of both the squat and deadlift bigger? Jeez....I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't do any specific glute work, but I'd have to say my azz continues to grow with my squats/SLDL numbers, so I can see the need to work them.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't do any specific glute work, but I'd have to say my azz continues to grow with my squats/SLDL numbers, so I can see the need to work them.
I don't do any specific work myself, but to downplay the importance of a big ass is absurd.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't do any specific work myself, but to downplay the importance of a big ass is absurd.
Thank you for some damn sense. I personally take pride in my running back ass and would think everyone would want the same.

Silverado

Awards
Ha ha bigger ass kind of helps with squats... I got no ass but i dont intend to do any specific work for it rather let ATG squats and stiff leg deadlifts help with that.

I've made up my own 4 day push/pull split and work legs twice a week with the same routine above but just added more working sets into it.

Some weeks i'll workout 5 times a week and the 5th day is usually a full body workout hitting the weak parts

jaces

jaces

Awards
Why would you want to make the largest muscle in your body and the linchpin of both the squat and deadlift bigger? Jeez....I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.
Bigger and stronger isnt the same thing,,:),,, and he wants mre leg mass , so using ur ass during squats isnt going to help wth quad size

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Bigger and stronger isnt the same thing,,:),,, and he wants mre leg mass , so using ur ass during squats isnt going to help wth quad size
Who said anything about quad size? Squats work the entire thigh and glute complex. To limit it to just a quad focused lift is misleading and incorrect. It's not a coincidence that dudes with giant thighs also have a giant ass.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Who said anything about quad size? Squats work the entire thigh and glute complex. To limit it to just a quad focused lift is misleading and incorrect. It's not a coincidence that dudes with giant thighs also have a giant ass.
Isnt that what most bodybuildrs do ?? Focusing on your weak areas during a lift ? Thats how I built my legs and wel I would beat most teens(and men for that matter) in this area ,,

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Isnt that what most bodybuildrs do ?? Focusing on your weak areas during a lift ? Thats how I built my legs and wel I would beat most teens(and men for that matter) in this area ,,
If you want to focus on quads, then do a front squat.

jaces

jaces

Awards
If you want to focus on quads, then do a front squat.
Yeah thats a good point but quads do most of the work on a normal squat if u dnt go past halfway and dnt let your hips extend to much

Silverado

Awards
I'm trying to get overall leg development and not focusing on one particular muscle but I do agree with working on the weak parts to help push through more weight.

I'm digging the routine Kevinhy gave me, it seems to work in well with my routine and I can hit leg hard twice a week.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I'm trying to get overall leg development and not focusing on one particular muscle but I do agree with working on the weak parts to help push through more weight.

I'm digging the routine Kevinhy gave me, it seems to work in well with my routine and I can hit leg hard twice a week.
Everyones got their own opinion and no one is wrong or correct , just got different point of views , the important thing is we ****ing squat and dnt do curls all day !!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah thats a good point but quads do most of the work on a normal squat if u dnt go past halfway and dnt let your hips extend to much
You went full retard right there. Stopping at parallel actually involves the PC more and WTF do you mean limiting hip extension!? You can't squat without hip extension.

jaces

jaces

Awards
Ever heard of a sissy squat? Letting you knes go forward a bit lets the quads do mre work , and by hip ext I mean letting your hips mve back to much and torso leaning forward , changing a back squat into a ****y looking goodmorning ,, the point of hamstrings and glutes is mostly the movement of the hip if I am nt mistaking , so by limiting this and focusing mre on knee flexion the quad muscle can be used to do mre work ,, ben pakulski has dne a few articls on ths subject ,,,

jaces

jaces

Awards
Ever heard of a sissy squat? Letting you knes go forward a bit lets the quads do mre work , and by hip ext I mean letting your hips mve back to much and torso leaning forward , changing a back squat into a ****y looking goodmorning ,, the point of hamstrings and glutes is mostly the movement of the hip if I am nt mistaking , so by limiting this and focusing mre on knee flexion the quad muscle can be used to do mre work ,, ben pakulski has dne a few articls on ths subject ,,, :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ever heard of a sissy squat? Letting you knes go forward a bit lets the quads do mre work , and by hip ext I mean letting your hips mve back to much and torso leaning forward , changing a back squat into a ****y looking goodmorning ,, the point of hamstrings and glutes is mostly the movement of the hip if I am nt mistaking , so by limiting this and focusing mre on knee flexion the quad muscle can be used to do mre work ,, ben pakulski has dne a few articls on ths subject ,,,
You need some anatomy lessons. What you're talking about is hip flexion not extension and the torso is going to naturally lean forward during a squat. The inferior portion of the hamstring is engaged any time there is knee flexion and this portion shortens. The superior portion of the hamstring lengthens during hip flexion, which is supposed to happen during a squat. Hip flexion has little bearing on whether or not the movement looks more like a squat or a GM; that's a muscular strength issue from weak hips and/or failing to keep the torso at the proper angle. Making any sort of effort to focus on knee flexion only increases the shearing at the joint and is asking for issues.

jaces

jaces

Awards
U know that I am. Only 19? So I am very glad to se someone taking time to explain **** instead of just preaching and bitching ,, but thanks for the info , I always thought that when the hips mve to much ur working hamstrings and glutes and more knee flexion works quads

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
U know that I am. Only 19? So I am very glad to se someone taking time to explain **** instead of just preaching and bitching ,, but thanks for the info , I always thought that when the hips mve to much ur working hamstrings and glutes and more knee flexion works quads
That's why it's best to stay away from magazines. Hamstrings and glutes are engaged any time there is hip flexion. The quads are engaged any time there is knee extension. You can shift emphasis depending on your stance and depth, they're going to all be firing during a squat.

jaces

jaces

Awards
I am studying to become a dr in muscle phisiology so I wil probably learn ths later on as wel

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm at a loss as to why jaces came into this thread trying to throw knowledge around, only to use his age as an excuse when he was called on it. Maybe sit back and read threads more and participate less.