5/3/1 boring but big

smike

Awards
Are there any pros or cons if i switch the assistance work on the upper and lower body days?
5/3/1 OHP
Assistance bench press

And so on.
Thanks in advance.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Tailor the assistance to your needs/goals. Anything within reason will work out for you if you're eating enough and adding weight to the main movements.

smike

Awards
Thanks for the reply, but that was not what i asked.

I was asking if it is good or bad to switch the assistance work of day A with day C and B with D.
This way i will work all lifts twice a week and it will be less boring.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I think he still answered your questions. If switching them meets your goals/needs, then that'd be a pro.

There's no issue.

You could also use different variations of the lift as the BBB. Weak triceps? Do BBB with close-grip. Weak hamstrings? BBB with Romanian Deadlift.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I think he still answered your questions. If switching them meets your goals/needs, then that'd be a pro. There's no issue. You could also use different variations of the lift as the BBB. Weak triceps? Do BBB with close-grip. Weak hamstrings? BBB with Romanian Deadlift.
Yupp sean hit in on the head. The assistance is there to do just that, assist. If switching the days like that works for you (you'll only know if you try it) then by all means do it.

Wendler himself is not a fan of cookie-cutter assistance templates because everyone has different goals/needs.

Hats off to you for selecting one of the many great programs out there. Stop majoring in the minors and get out there and add weight to that bar.

This forum is a great tool in your training, never be afraid to use it. Best of luck buddy!

smike

Awards
Thanks for the replies.

I've tried 5/3/1 last year for 6-7 cycles, but then i switched to stronglifts because i wanted to do a2g squats and i needed the frequency.

I'll give it a try next cycle and then i'll reevaluate.