Back Injury

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
I hurt my lower back this morning during my workout. I was deadlifting and after my last set my back felt really right. I dud some stretching and foam rolling to loosen it up and tried to power through the rest of my workout. Of course that made it worse. I can hardly sit up now without my back locking up with pain. I'm icing it down laying on the floor cause that's the only way it stops hurting. Should I go to a chiropractor or to the ER?

hiprsha666

hiprsha666

Awards
At least go see a chiro. Could have ****ed up a disk or something. Don't just let it wait.

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
I've got an appointment at a sports chiro at noon. I assume if they think it is serious they will send me to radiology for x-rays or what not.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Dude if you ****ed up your back deadlifting, you either deadlift like a damn beast or need to learn how to deadlift right

Can you feel or see any steps in your lumbar spine? Or if someone else is around to gently feel you up, can they?

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
I've been putting a lot of stress on my lower back at work and I think I just overworked myself. I've been deadlifting for a couple of years and I'm quite aware of proper form. I think I just pushed myself too hard today. I'm also on a calorie deficit atm so I may not be recovering as well as I'm used to. Nothing feels different to the touch as far as I can tell and nobody else is here to look at it right now. Also I was only lifting 315 and my PR is 425. It is not a weight I should have hurt myself on unless I was fatigued or my form got sloppy but I'm always very careful to lift properly.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Sounds like a herniation to me. Learn to use your hips and ankles for bending and not your lumbar spine. Learn to UTILIZE the hip as a hinge.

Also, learn to deadlift properly and breathe deep into your stomach.

iddc

iddc

Awards
Sounds like a herniation to me. Learn to use your hips and ankles for bending and not your lumbar spine. Learn to UTILIZE the hip as a hinge.

Also, learn to deadlift properly and breathe deep into your stomach.
This

kjetil1234 helped me get my lumbar spine back on track.

also (which i found out the hard way) it doesn't matter if you're lifting 70% or 95% of your 1RM, if you've made an error in form/execution chances are you will injure yourself, esp on DLs

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
Well I saw the doctor and I have what he called a Disc Torsion which isn't as serious as a herniated disc. I will be out of the gym for a bit but I'm already starting to get some range of motion back and the pain is lessening. I'm going in for a few more adjustments this week and next week. I will definitely be doing more research and pay more attention to my form from now on.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I saw the doctor and I have what he called a Disc Torsion which isn't as serious as a herniated disc. I will be out of the gym for a bit but I'm already starting to get some range of motion back and the pain is lessening. I'm going in for a few more adjustments this week and next week. I will definitely be doing more research and pay more attention to my form from now on.
Did the chiro tell you to take aleve or ibuprofin to help with the inflamation.

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
No he didn't recommend anything. I generally try not to use NSAIDs unless absolutely necessary.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
The inflammation isn't a problem. NSAIDS will actually SLOW the healing process, as inflammation of damaged tissue is the first and NECESSARY step of healing.

The pain comes from the damaged tissue, and NSAIDS won't fix it; only conceal. If the herniation is also pushing on a nerve, there's not much to be some other than being patient and make sure to use proper technique from now on.

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
I would thank you for the advice but the thank option still isn't in the app. Thanks though.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
You're welcome man. Wish you a good recovery. train smart!

iddc

iddc

Awards
Hope you get better man. But I'm sure you will.

I even came to a point where lifting the just the bar caused a sharp pain in my spine (before asking for help from kjetil which fixed all that)

I felt like I lost all hope and would never be able to dl or squat again. But I relearned the movement pattern, worked around my injury and slowly getting back on track.

I've talked to a guy who injured his spine and could barely getup without pain. Doctors said he could never lift again. Sucked it in and worked around his injuries slowly and with reinforced form. Now he squats ATG 315 on a light day.

KimChee75

KimChee75

Awards
I'd try to be aware of axial rotation when doing deadlifts in the future. You may benefit from a specific spinal stabilization program. Do you have any radiating pain (ie down the legs)? I'd be careful in the future back and shoulders once you injure them severely are two of the bodyparts that are never quite the same after repeaed or traumatic injury...

S

Swolljaboi

Awards
I haven't experienced any radiating pain in my legs or was all localized in my back. I'm recovering quite well. I went back to work yesterday just being careful not to lift anything heavy. The pain has gone I just have a feeling of discomfort now and it still hurts slightly to try to go from lying to sitting position or to bend straight over. I have been sure to squat down when picking anything up. Saw the chiro yesterday and he was surprised how much better and more mobile I was already.