Two a days

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I rarely if ever work in two solid workouts in the gym a day, but I am so jazzed on the progress I am making on my new R/P routine and protocol that I just couldn't stay away. This morning was a pull with concentration on upper back and this evening was DL and lower back. Now I literally cannot get enough food in me. In 2 hours I have consumed a protein shake, chicken breast, broccoli, a baked potato, 2 PB+J sandwiches and a ton of milk.

Anyone else work these in?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It has been a long time since I have done splits or 2 a days, (back in the more BB days.
That said, when I was only doing 1x per day but a bit of frequency/volume on deads/squats 2x per week and pretty heavy, I gained about #12 or so pounds by needing a bit more food, without stuffing it in at all.
You are most likely expending more energy (on the big muscle groups especially) and to keep up, your body might be asking for more gas in the tank from the fridge to keep pace.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh there is no doubt about that. I did a rough calculation in my head and I took in about 5500 cal yesterday on a normal daily recomp intake of about 3500. I jumped on the scale this morning and weigh the same as always. Win! haha

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I used to do two a days when I had more free time and money to support the amount of food it required (also being on1.5g of test 800mg deca a week helped lol) got stupid big

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I cant do 2 a days. 1.) im too busy 2.) when i have done them, i get burnt out easily

Good luck though!

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, didn't mean to make it sound like this is going to be normal because I don't have any time either, nor feel like spending that much time in the gym. I just found it invigorating to add it in.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, didn't mean to make it sound like this is going to be normal because I don't have any time either, nor feel like spending that much time in the gym. I just found it invigorating to add it in.
Won't hurt you from time to time. But as R1balla mentioned it will put you in a state of overtraining fairly quick.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've never bought into the notion of over training and found that I, as well as others, are much more resilient than we give credit for. I think about all the training I have done for endurance events, preparation for martial arts competitions, and similar activities I partake in. They are extreme and way beyond what people are normally putting themselves through in the gym and no one ever every has succumb to the over training that is frequently discussed here.

I am not discounting the concern, only the belief that it happens as much as people think.

wasme

wasme

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've never bought into the notion of over training and found that I, as well as others, are much more resilient than we give credit for. I think about all the training I have done for endurance events, preparation for martial arts competitions, and similar activities I partake in. They are extreme and way beyond what people are normally putting themselves through in the gym and no one ever every has succumb to the over training that is frequently discussed here.

I am not discounting the concern, only the belief that it happens as much as people think.

I agree with you to a point. But know that if my cals are too low, and I don't rest enough - I just get lethargic. That said, your cals as stated were good to go.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with you to a point. But know that if my cals are too low, and I don't rest enough - I just get lethargic. That said, your cals as stated were good to go.
exactly

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course, I think this goes without say. Fuel and rest are paramount.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
Won't hurt you from time to time. But as R1balla mentioned it will put you in a state of overtraining fairly quick.
people overtrain or burn out from 2 a days mainly cause they have no idea how to program for them. your volume and/or intensity needs to be cut down dramatically to do 2 a days. most people dont as they dont understand that frequency, volume, and intensity are all related. you change one and you have to change the others.

Bchesney

Bchesney

Awards
Two a days can be great but from your description I would be upping your nutrition intake...