How do you guys divide up your training?

ChrisG2

Awards
I do chest/triceps/shoulders one day, back/biceps another, legs another. How do you divide up your workouts? I'm wanting to try something new and saw Arnold used to do back/chest, arms, and legs. Thoughts on that?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It changes with every routine. I cycle through 4-5 routines throughout the year.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I've tried a lot but the past year and a half I found what I really like.

Sunday - Chest
Monday - back
Tues - off
Wed - shoulders
Thurs - tris/bis
Friday - legs
Sat - off

If I cut I add cardio after. Bulk = hi volume / heavy weights

ChrisG2

Awards
By only doing 1 body part each day are you not missing out on a lot of potential protein synthesis? Like if i do day 1-chest day 2-blah blah day 3- blah blah day 4- chest again, wouldn't this be better than doing each body part one day a week?

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
By only doing 1 body part each day are you not missing out on a lot of potential protein synthesis? Like if i do day 1-chest day 2-blah blah day 3- blah blah day 4- chest again, wouldn't this be better than doing each body part one day a week?
No I'm not missing out on "potential protein synthesis"... How much potential loss do you think I lose when I do shoulder and chest vs chest and chest in a given week

ChrisG2

Awards
No I'm not missing out on "potential protein synthesis"... How much potential loss do you think I lose when I do shoulder and chest vs chest and chest in a given week
I read that if you workout (we will use chest for the example) chest on Monday and then work it out again on say Thursday, it grows better because there is "protein synthesis" in the chest from Mondays workout still. I'm not sure how true this is though

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am not sure about all the science stuff, but from my experiences, frequency and some volume add to a lifter building and adapting to more work, thus growing. Even when PL'er do lighter speed work a 2nd day per, they are getting more muscle work and frequency/volume in and it helps up the work capacity.
I am pretty much with Sean on this and feel hitting the major compounds exercises ie; training 90% of the body on differing days but 2x per, is near the top IMO, for natural lifters at least.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I follow that mindset with my squats on every routine, no matter what is called for. Legs always get hit directly twice. I can vary on my other movements and may only hit chest directly once a week or shoulders once a week, but they still will get worked secondarily.

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

ChrisG2

Awards
I was thinking about trying what arnold does and doing chest/back one day, then arms/shoulders another day, then legs another day. Thoughts on this?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is a pretty generic and popular. You can't go wrong, but dependent on goals, there are better routines. Unless of course, you are doing everything that Arnold did and then you will have great success.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Again, it depends on what you are after. I cycle through:

PHAT (without dedicated arm day)
DC
OLAD
Rest/Pause

In general, my goal is athletic power. I need to maintain mass, but getting as big as possible is not a priority. I need to stay strong and have endurance.

In addition to the gym routines, I also train muay thai 3 hours a week, mtn bike, and run.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Like kisaj said there are routines for everyone. Try everything until you feel the difference in progress you make. My routine might look like it's just one bodypart a day per week but if you break it down then youll know why it works for me

ikeNball

ikeNball

Awards
  • Established
Random (ish) but you guys ever tried Bikram yoga? The reason I ask is that my need to lift has decreased greatly since I began practicing 2-3 times/week, but I still have solid muscle retention and staying lean.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've done it once and I've done regular yoga with my wife and it is really amazing. Both in how hard it actually is and how it stretches and elongates your muscles to make you feel strong all the time.

I recommend it and probably should do it more, but I always get sucked into my normal routines.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Loved yoga, not going to lie I'm probably better than my wife at it. My favorite are the heated yoga where the room gets really hot. I reserved it for my post workout or rest days. Now I dnt because of class schedule conflicts

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My wife is crazy good at it. She can do the head stands and all kinds of poses that usually only the instructor can do.

Magdalena

Magdalena

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do chest/triceps/shoulders one day, back/biceps another, legs another. How do you divide up your workouts? I'm wanting to try something new and saw Arnold used to do back/chest, arms, and legs. Thoughts on that?
I do 2 muscle groups/session...
I hit legs twice a week...
It really depends on what u r after...

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
I do this or roll with push/pull/legs
Push pull legs with some farmers walk finishers at the end are always fun. I need to get some of those farmers walk handles. Not sure why they're like 400 bucks but w/e