Squats

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
AM bros. I need your help. I cannot squat ATG anymore. I posted a lot of videos back in the day of my squatting heavy and deep. However, since my appendectomy, I can't. Ankles & hips don't allow if. If I do go deep my heels fly up off the ground. If I want to keep em on the ground I'll fall back.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
AM bros. I need your help. I cannot squat ATG anymore. I posted a lot of videos back in the day of my squatting heavy and deep. However, since my appendectomy, I can't. Ankles & hips don't allow if. If I do go deep my heels fly up off the ground. If I want to keep em on the ground I'll fall back.

Try putting 5 pound plates under your heels when u squat.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
^Boom. Lifting shoes.

Here is a good read on ass to grass squatting, and how everyone doesn't need to go ass to grass (just because you break parallel..doesn't mean it's ass to grass..)
http://www.t-nation.com/training/how-deep-should-i-squat

Anywho...lifting shoes like T-Bone mentioned will give you a good advantage. Does your gym have a box? You can box squat as well.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Stretch hams and ankles (gastroc AND soleus) after each workout. Works wonders.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
If you try plates under your feet like suggested, thats a good one. You could always just squat to parallel? You will still see results obviously.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I second the shoes. Although any reason on going atg rather than parallel?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
can you post a video. we can only guess as to why otherwise.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I learned how to squat a2g by first learning goblet squats, then working out my front squats till they were a2g. Took a while, I really just didn't have the mobility to start with. I don't do a2g back squats much these days but my front squats are still full ROM.

Bchesney

Bchesney

Awards
Pick up a pair of lifters with a decent heel, better than plates (which can be squirrely heavy weight) imo

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
can you post a video. we can only guess as to why otherwise.
I have a video floating around here an YouTube of 225 Olympic back squat.

But if you can't figure out why doing a full Olympic back squat that works the legs in a full range of motion, uses more energy, and is harder, I don't think a video is effective.

Full range of motion for joint health.