Flexibilty stretching not helping

hmatthews50

Awards
I've been stretching 3 times a day for 1 month now and my flexibility only increases for a short period of time after I stretch and when I stretch again it's like I'm back to where I started. What do I need to do to increase my flexibility permanently.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Make sure you're doing the correct stretches :D That's obvious though.

Make sure you're using proper form with everything. Technique and movement patterns. You can gain all the temporary mobility you want, but if you hunch over all day or squat like crap, than you're back to square one.

Use a lacrosse ball or similar hard ball to work into problem areas.

Look up: Kelly Starrett, Donnie Thompson, Joe DeFranco, Eric Cressey for more

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
total duration of stretch time is more important then anything else for increasing passive ROM, ie 10 minutes > 5 minutes

Increase total duration

WhatTheD

Awards
total duration of stretch time is more important then anything else for increasing passive ROM, ie 10 minutes > 5 minutes

Increase total duration
In on this thread for good information like this - i didn't even know. Been trying to increase flexibility for ages

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Chronic tightness is usually due to a muscle
Imbalance. For example, if the glutes aren't working properly, chronic hamstring tightness.

Or foot pronation (poor function of feet and gait) = chronic calf tightness.

Depends where your issue is.

Stretching should not be done hard. Light stretches for 30-60 secs. Hard stretching makes the muscle sore and less flexible.

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I've been stretching 3 times a day for 1 month now and my flexibility only increases for a short period of time after I stretch and when I stretch again it's like I'm back to where I started. What do I need to do to increase my flexibility permanently.
Are you stretching for a physical therapy/specific movement? I'm doing a lot of stretches lately but I perform it at least twice a day but one of my session is in between my workout sets. Mostly just chest and shoulder inner rotation stretches/exercise for a minor injury

aendi

aendi

Awards
Overall mobility/flexibility has to be worked at as seriously as your weight training. There are some good books by Pavel on stretching, but Olympic weightlifters have the right idea too - use weight to help you.
Previous suggestion of MobilityWOD is great too. Plenty to learn!