Is Tabata The Best Thing Out There?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and I'm curious about the Tabata. A lot of the unscientific muscle magazines, etc. extrapolate workout programs from the single Tabata study.

My questions are:

1. Do you guys believe it's the most time-efficient exercise protocol around? If not, what else would be?

2. Should the Tabata be the most time-efficient protocol, what would the best exercises be?

I'm guessing burpee pushups might be up there at the top, since it works a lot of major muscles. If you had a plyobox there, I'm guessing jumping up on that box on the up stage, followed by side-to-side would add to the intensity.

3. On these high-intensity rounds, should someone add more to create progressive overload, or simply keep the intensity high?

For instance, should a person make the Tabata exercise 20 seconds on, 10 seconds recovery times 9, then 10, then up and up?

Thanks

WhatTheD

Awards
Ergh god I've done a buttload of tabata in my time, i hate that word

For cardio for me personally i find if i tabata just sprinting, its the best cardio workout i can do. (There is one better that i did a couple of times that murdered me, which i think was 45second 100% sprints and 30 seconds walking - try to get to 8) Do it on an oval because you end up running about 3km if you get to 8. Did this in pre fight training, but i wouldn't recommend it unless you want to be hardcore. Stick to tabata

Have also done tabata with other stuff, 4 rounds, Burpies to 8 reps, Mountain climbers, Plank and bodyweight squats is pretty good.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie and I'm curious about the Tabata. A lot of the unscientific muscle magazines, etc. extrapolate workout programs from the single Tabata study.

My questions are:

1. Do you guys believe it's the most time-efficient exercise protocol around? If not, what else would be?

2. Should the Tabata be the most time-efficient protocol, what would the best exercises be?

I'm guessing burpee pushups might be up there at the top, since it works a lot of major muscles. If you had a plyobox there, I'm guessing jumping up on that box on the up stage, followed by side-to-side would add to the intensity.

3. On these high-intensity rounds, should someone add more to create progressive overload, or simply keep the intensity high?

For instance, should a person make the Tabata exercise 20 seconds on, 10 seconds recovery times 9, then 10, then up and up?

Thanks

This is too vague:

Too many variables define efficient as in shortest time or are you results oriented. Most efficient for building muscle, most efficient for cardiovascular health, most efficient for muscular endurance, most efficient for muscular power, most efficient for losing body fat?

The answer to question 3 is self explanatory, at some point (x) in time your body will have adjusted to (y) training protocol. At that point you either must increase volume or intensity (intensity can include longer working sets or less rest)

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I always liked 30,60s and 60,120s like we did in army pt: all out sprint for 30 or 60 seconds then light jog for 60 or 120 seconds do this for 15-20 minutes and you'll be toast